NULL
    Attached Thumbnails 10.3 UI design...-screenshot_2014-05-14-14-02-24.jpg  
    Last edited by soundscan9800; 09-28-14 at 07:54 AM.
    05-14-14 07:50 PM
    I wonder if it's possible to have a different picture set up for each page on your Phone.

Lock Screen
    Home Screen
    App Grid Screen
    Folder Screen

All with a different chosen picture.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:33 PM
    You seem to be misunderstanding me. I don't like flat UI elements; None of them, not from BlackBerry, not from Microsoft, not from Apple. The flat UI design languages are boring, un-intuitive, jarring, and incredibly lazy from an ascetic point of view. It's not surprising at all that so many people have the exact same reaction when first presented with these types of design and ask if they were drawn by a child using crayons.

If BlackBerry continues the use of this flat design language, I would still consider it hideous and still despise it even when BlackBerry releases 10.5 or BB11. It's simply a matter of taste, and this isn't my cup of tea. So from now on, I'll be heavily advocating that BlackBerry provide us with an extensive theming engine so that those of us that do not want to look these monotone colored, one dimensional UI designs and icons may be able to apply a complete them and make every single aspect look as we so choose. Then those of us that actually like the 10.2.1 design and UI elements may be able to further improve it on our own without having to devolve into what poor and lazy UI/UX design has now become.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you, I can not understand the fascination with flat UI's. If these were kiosks or POS machines I could somewhat understand but the pastel/"draft copy" look of these new UI's are IMO garbage.

Posted via CB10 on Z30/10.2.1.1925
    05-15-14 05:44 PM
    they need to allow theming like on OS7 to make everyone in any camp happy. want old style bb icons? BAM! apply BB classic theme.
    Mecca EL, menshawy and redsaph like this.
    05-15-14 05:48 PM
    I'm with you, I can not understand the fascination with flat UI's. If these were kiosks or POS machines I could somewhat understand but the pastel/"draft copy" look of these new UI's are IMO garbage.

I think minimalism is always better. A chaotic phone looks ugly. My problem is not with the flat icons. It's with the colorfulness that bugs me. I want them minimalistic and generic.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:01 PM
    they need to allow theming like on OS7 to make everyone in any camp happy. want old style bb icons? BAM! apply BB classic theme.
    Isn't not all about just the icons. I'm really hoping that they'll allow us to change every single detail of the UI.

For instance, the main action ball looks like it'll be a pain on the Q10; the scrren on the Q10 is small enough as is, I know myself and many others are going to hate that ball getting in the way all the time. The bar at the bottom is already enough screen real estate, but they going to make an element in the bottom bar take up even more screen real estate? Geez, who thinks this crap up?

I think minimalism is always better. A chaotic phone looks ugly. My problem is not with the flat icons. It's with the colorfulness that bugs me. I want them minimalistic and generic.

Posted via CB10
    Have you taken a look at WP8, it might be just what you looking for. Most of the UI/UX is just free floating text with very little in the way of anything else. It could be considered the most minimalistic and generic of all the smartphone OS's.

Posted via CB10
    peter0328 and nick13b like this.
    05-15-14 08:36 PM
    You seem to be misunderstanding me. I don't like flat UI elements; None of them, not from BlackBerry, not from Microsoft, not from Apple. The flat UI design languages are boring, un-intuitive, jarring, and incredibly lazy from an ascetic point of view. It's not surprising at all that so many people have the exact same reaction when first presented with these types of design and ask if they were drawn by a child using crayons.

If BlackBerry continues the use of this flat design language, I would still consider it hideous and still despise it even when BlackBerry releases 10.5 or BB11. It's simply a matter of taste, and this isn't my cup of tea. So from now on, I'll be heavily advocating that BlackBerry provide us with an extensive theming engine so that those of us that do not want to look these monotone colored, one dimensional UI designs and icons may be able to apply a complete them and make every single aspect look as we so choose. Then those of us that actually like the 10.2.1 design and UI elements may be able to further improve it on our own without having to devolve into what poor and lazy UI/UX design has now become.

Posted via CB10
    It looks nice now that you're able to see your wallpaper. However, it seems as though BlackBerry is following the crowd with the flat design.

I've only seen pictures though. I hope it turns out to be a stunning OS. I've waited this long. Let's see what it turns out to be.

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.2179
    05-15-14 08:44 PM
    These icons make the phone look like it's cheap noname android phone from China.
    pystha, CMcRob, 00_Agent and 1 others like this.
    05-15-14 09:19 PM
    I cannot say how much I love it! I'm a fan of a flat, uncluttered ui.

Posted via CB10
    Mr_F likes this.
    05-15-14 09:38 PM
    i also don't like the flat UI, it's totally confusing. it may flat but must have some light shade or 3d outline, something sort of. so i can make it fast what is where.
    Ragbert, ssbtech and peter0328 like this.
    05-15-14 09:47 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm OK with minimalist designs but flat designs are being used as an excuse for 8bit-esque color schemes and even worse pastel color schemes. Every time I see a "flat design " it seems like an artist rendering of a product.

I do like that they finally got rid of the icon shadows

peter0328 likes this.
    05-15-14 10:35 PM
    Isn't not all about just the icons. I'm really hoping that they'll allow us to change every single detail of the UI.

For instance, the main action ball looks like it'll be a pain on the Q10; the scrren on the Q10 is small enough as is, I know myself and many others are going to hate that ball getting in the way all the time. The bar at the bottom is already enough screen real estate, but they going to make an element in the bottom bar take up even more screen real estate? Geez, who thinks this crap up?

Have you taken a look at WP8, it might be just what you looking for. Most of the UI/UX is just free floating text with very little in the way of anything else. It could be considered the most minimalistic and generic of all the smartphone OS's.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. In fact I own a Nokia Lumia. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I can see why someone would dislike flat icons, but something tells me that a lot of BlackBerry fans are also crybabies any time a BlackBerry looks anything similar to an already existing operating system because we now can't be 'different'. I get disliking icons, but some people are over hating on icons. I don't even use them. It's easier to search for an app than it is to find them in the home pages. :/

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 04:26 AM
    These icons make the phone look like it's cheap noname android phone from China.
    This is like if we can't beat Android, we join them. Now they become just ordinary. Blackberry finally caught up with these flat icons.
    05-17-14 11:29 PM
    I'm OK with minimalist designs but flat designs are being used as an excuse for 8bit-esque color schemes and even worse pastel color schemes. Every time I see a "flat design " it seems like an artist rendering of a product.

I do like that they finally got rid of the icon shadows

I like to see Blackberry if they want to adopt Android's icons, they should also allow icon customization like Android. Where you can have dual colored ones like black and white that is easy on the eye. These flat ones looked like broken plastic pieces to me, no form, no structure.
    p_r_a_g_m_a likes this.
    05-17-14 11:35 PM
    It's beautiful. Everyone wants customization this customization that. Not before long your os will fill up the storage

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 08:45 PM
    It's beautiful. Everyone wants customization this customization that. Not before long your os will fill up the storage

Posted via CB10
    Please don't post things you know nothing about.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 08:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well said...

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 10:33 PM
    Please don't post things you know nothing about.

Posted via CB10
    What's there to post about? You have to write codes to produce a functional os. I wrote a website couple of times from scratch and I could imagine programming is similar. For every added functionality, that's an additional line of code at least. Want font change? I'd imagine the command line has to be written, and the font picker would have to be coded as well.

Now tell me what do you know?

Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    05-18-14 11:16 PM
    What's there to post about? You have to write codes to produce a functional os. I wrote a website couple of times from scratch and I could imagine programming is similar. For every added functionality, that's an additional line of code at least. Want font change? I'd imagine the command line has to be written, and the font picker would have to be coded as well.

Posted via CB10
    I know enough to know that even a full install of Windows doesn't yet fill 16GBs of storage space let alone BB10 and that a few added features still won't fill 16GBs of storage. And that's not taking into account optimizations that can potentially shrink certain elements making them require less storage space.

Oh, almost forgot to ask, does your website require 16GBs of storage space?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-14 11:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so. When you go "flat" there are only so much information you can put in an icon before it's "no longer flat". I personally liken "flat" to the difference between 2bit color (flat) and 4 bit color (standard, semi-3d). Not "much" difference but it does wonders to detail.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I like as much detail as possible on my icons. Flat inherently goes against that. I agree that TOO much detail is noisy and can confuse, but I'm talking about the difference between, say, Dead Space and Mass Effect Infiltrator (check them out on BlackBerry World, look at their icons)

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    CMcRob and peter0328 like this.
    05-19-14 12:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Additional line of code doesn't necessarily mean additional bytes of compiled binary, especially not in 1:1 ratio. Even if the entire UI is customizable, I expect the total difference in the resulting compiled binary to be no more than, say, 10 MB.

Right now, the OS has built-in capability to select assets based on screen resolution. That means the code to allow customization is half-way there

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-19-14 12:19 AM
    It's good to see those shadows gone. The UI may look flat but it's still the BlackBerry 10 OS. It may look like other Operating Systems but it doesn't function like others. I'm sure we can still get things done. I just hope it's even more efficient.

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.2179
    05-19-14 12:29 AM
    Guys on here are always complaining, just embrace it. It's going to happen regardless. Rather then fight it, use it for now and put a request in to allow customization. It is only a matter of time before they let us start putting themes. It's only been a year and some change since the OS.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-14 01:26 AM
    I am actually starting to like 'flat' design. It's really easier for the eyes. Initially disliked iOS 7 for its childish look.

Posted via CB using BlackBerry Z10
    05-19-14 12:20 PM
    I am actually starting to like 'flat' design. It's really easier for the eyes. Initially disliked iOS 7 for its childish look.

Posted via CB using BlackBerry Z10
    Honestly idk how ios = flat. The whole ideology of flat is simply 1 solid color rather than gradients. That's all. A good designer will make it look beautiful. A bad one would pull off an ios7.

And as you can see its evolving with bb. They have this childish camera icon that I hate... it looks like squares put together. then they have this
    10.3 UI design...-img_20140519_131339.png
    Would you say that camera icon isn't well designed? that's the point. Designers matter ah
    Also that search icon can and is being improved.

Posted via CB10
    redsaph likes this.
    05-19-14 01:14 PM
236 1234 ...