Today is a big day! we finally get an early preview of 10.3! I like where everything is going with features and the new UI. Look like all the rumors were true!

Now having BB10 transitioning to more flat design, there are some areas which understandably needs more work before being released on prime time.

The objective of this thread to to point out some of those "not so well cooked" design elements and I hope blackberry or someone from BB10 design dept catches our thread.

On another thread someone posted the design somehow not working as well in the camera app as it does in the music app.

Im not liking the new clock, the current clock and the PD clock had a very stylised look to them, i fear it lost some of its appeal in this version, what do you guys think?

The icons still have a slight shadow making it look more aero still. But i like it this way. I dont want a completely flat design making my Q10 look like my iphone5.

How about parallax wallpapers?

How about the red in the hub? I think the red and black combo is a winner, the old bedside mode is an inspiration for this i feel.

Im still waiting on a z30 autoloader
    UnlimitedEra and kolowosh like this.
    03-24-14 07:10 AM
    Well, red and black should be implemented in all apps, now it's like a messed up mix where some have it and others don't. But we must understand that this is an early build that was released on Feb 9, there certainly are more builds with improved visuals and designs, just give it time. Now I'm starting to think that this os should have never been leaked.
    I'm pretty sure the next leak will have major updates! This one is just like a core OS that is not brushed yet.

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.2141
    walt63 and Nharzhool like this.
    03-24-14 07:32 AM
    My only problem with this thread is that it's a very early build meant for internal use. It's not meant for the public, yet we are gathering our opinions on it. This thread is going to simply be a mess of opinions leading to nowhere.

After about 3-4 variations of 10.2.2/10.3 leaks, maybe this thread becomes relevant. I just don't think it would do us any good right now.

But by all mean, fire away. This is what forums are for.
    03-24-14 07:32 AM
    My only problem with this thread is that it's a very early build meant for internal use. It's not meant for the public, yet we are gathering our opinions on it. This thread is going to simply be a mess of opinions leading to nowhere.

After about 3-4 variations of 10.2.2/10.3 leaks, maybe this thread becomes relevant. I just don't think it would do us any good right now.

Thats what I wanted to say!

03-24-14 07:34 AM

You are certainly right to say that, it is an early build so im hoping we can influence before things get finalized.
    red72 and mundo472 like this.
    03-24-14 07:46 AM
    I am not very thrilled about this. Part of the reason why I switched from my iPhone was the disappointing design change in iOS 7. The overall look and feel of 10.3 reminds me strongly of it. Also here I see well-designed buttons, toggles and menu bars disappear. It's almost depressing.

Some things that changed for the worse, in terms of UX: the action menu and segmented controls/buttons. The current design clearly distinguishes the UI elements, the leaked design is just a solid-colour background and a simple icon or text. On the action bar, you can't distinguish tabs from buttons anymore.

10.3 Design perspective improvements and suggestions-6iqqehr_edit.png10.3 Design perspective improvements and suggestions-img_20140324_134716_edit.png
    10.3 Design perspective improvements and suggestions-ap8aggo_edit.png10.3 Design perspective improvements and suggestions-img_20140324_134620_edit.png10.3 Design perspective improvements and suggestions-img_20140324_134230_edit.png
    03-24-14 08:03 AM
    Thats what I wanted to say!

Ha ha. We were posting at the same time.
    03-24-14 08:08 AM
    Nice thread.

I'm not gonna repeat what I said in the main 10.3 leak thread but I agree that this is an early build and they are still testing but we can all come to an agreement they are going for Google flat look.

Current 10.2 is already very much flat and iconographic. With 10.3 they are going plain ugly and dysfunctional disregarding shadows, gradients and ground planes which is a bad, bad thing.

Just look at the Camera "shoot" button. Does that look like "take a picture" to you? Now good thing is they got rid of the video/camera switching that lasted for over ten years for some unknown reason. Having "picture" and "record" buttons next to each other makes sense, it makes even more sense if you tap the button once to take the picture and if you tap and hold to start recording but that is too advanced for your typical Joe.

So far the biggest offender are those free floating buttons once the bottom bar disappears. That looks like a disaster. Needs a lot of work.

And to end this on a positive note they finally put more options right sliding list on the bottom of the page for Z30 users. That's common sense. There is still a problem of empty black bar when there are only few options.
    scrapmetal58 and anon8656116 like this.
    03-24-14 08:18 AM
    Any pics of the new keyboard layout?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-24-14 08:34 AM
    Take a pretty design and screw it in the later versions. This is what BlackBerry has done with 10.3. Why fix something which is not broken? Seriously, if you want to go flat just go flat all the way. There is no consistency from what I see in the screenshots (I know its still in early stages). There are still gradients in the title bar, alert buttons and other elements. Its red some where and blue somewhere else. May be its not implemented throughout the OS. vSome switches are blue some are red. I shouldn't be commenting on a leak but if this becomes real I will be less excited with 10.3.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    03-24-14 10:49 AM
    I'll take flat if we get full landscape

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-24-14 11:44 AM
    Take a pretty design and screw it in the later versions. This is what BlackBerry has done with 10.3. Why fix something which is not broken? Seriously, if you want to go flat just go flat all the way. There is no consistency from what I see in the screenshots (I know its still in early stages). There are still gradients in the title bar, alert buttons and other elements. Its red some where and blue somewhere else. May be its not implemented throughout the OS. vSome switches are blue some are red. I shouldn't be commenting on a leak but if this becomes real I will be less excited with 10.3.
    Yeap plenty of inconsistencies right now. Hang on to your hats though OS development seems to be moving even quicker nowadays. we had 2 more in between 10.2.1.537 and 10.2.1.2156 including this leak its 5 since feb!
    03-24-14 02:23 PM
    I am not very thrilled about this. Part of the reason why I switched from my iPhone was the disappointing design change in iOS 7. The overall look and feel of 10.3 reminds me strongly of it. Also here I see well-designed buttons, toggles and menu bars disappear. It's almost depressing.

Some things that changed for the worse, in terms of UX: the action menu and segmented controls/buttons. The current design clearly distinguishes the UI elements, the leaked design is just a solid-colour background and a simple icon or text. On the action bar, you can't distinguish tabs from buttons anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6iqQEhR_edit.png 
Views:	3347 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	257843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140324_134716_edit.png 
Views:	3343 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	257845
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aP8AgGO_edit.png 
Views:	3342 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	257844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140324_134620_edit.png 
Views:	3343 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	257847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140324_134230_edit.png 
Views:	3344 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	257848
    Agreed 100%.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 02:38 PM
    Well, red and black should be implemented in all apps

Not if you ask me it shouldnt. I DO NOT like it AT ALL. I dont think red is a good color to force people to have. If you're going to have it be only one color, the blue is much more neutral and likely to appeal to more people. Of course the best thing to do would be to have a color palette and let us choose what we want.
    03-24-14 02:43 PM
    I dont think red is a good color to force people to have. If you're going to have it be only one color, the blue is much more neutral and likely to appeal to more people. Of course the best thing to do would be to have a color palette and let us choose what we want.
    Agreed. I also don't understand why BlackBerry changes this now. Has there been a shift in their corporate design? It's such a radical departure.
    knighty2112 likes this.
    03-24-14 03:13 PM
    I generally prefer a flatter user interface, but I hope they don't go too trendy with the redesign at the expense of clear denotations of a UI element's purpose. The "artists/albums/songs" bar is coming dangerously close (though I still prefer that direction). That said, I quite like the shorter and simplified bottom bar (the white one at the top). People don't seem to realize: the BB10 UI is really very flat already, the only things that need massaging are all the top bars (in the hub and in the apps) and the app icons. What's that white slider/button bar on the botton of that image? It looks as though it doesn't have the 3D gradient applied like the black one. I greatly prefer this approach, as it seems to bridge flat design with the intuitiveness that 3D sometimes provides.

Not if you ask me it shouldnt. I DO NOT like it AT ALL. I dont think red is a good color to force people to have. If you're going to have it be only one color, the blue is much more neutral and likely to appeal to more people. Of course the best thing to do would be to have a color palette and let us choose what we want.
    I agree. The red is kind of harsh and immature. But I don't love the cyan we have now. A colour slider would be ideal (especially if it also applied to the boot screen). I personally love the purple boot on the Q10, and would be glad to have blackberry-coloured dark purple UI accents. Much easier on the eyes than bright blue or racecar red.
    03-24-14 04:41 PM
    Any pics of the new keyboard layout?

/Push

I Would like to see it too!

Also they shouldn't go for the red, its too tacky/childish/immature. Blue is much better and it looks more professional.
    03-24-14 05:02 PM
    That said, I quite like the shorter and simplified bottom bar (the white one at the top). People don't seem to realize: the BB10 UI is really very flat already, the only things that need massaging are all the top bars (in the hub and in the apps) and the app icons.
    The action bar has two different functions: tabs and buttons. Tabs allow to user to view different panels of the app (here the music library and playlists) whereas buttons allow the user to interact with the content of the panel in question (here the 'more' button to show a menu with available actions). Tabs are clearly demarcated with a blue line at the top and a shadow on the right side; they stand out. Buttons on the other hand are just icons that you can interact with and light up when you tap on them. The leaked version removes that visual distinction, making them all look like buttons. The irony, and disappointment, is that BlackBerry itself emphasised that distinction in their UI guidelines for developers. It's part of the user experience.

What's that white slider/button bar on the botton of that image? It looks as though it doesn't have the 3D gradient applied like the black one. I greatly prefer this approach, as it seems to bridge flat design with the intuitiveness that 3D sometimes provides.
    It does have gradient, but it is very subtle. You can see it more clearly on your BlackBerry. The segmented control allows you to slide the button horizontally, and for such purpose it also looks like you can interact with it. Again, the leaked version hides that visual cue.

I like flat design too, but as you said, BlackBerry 10 is already very flat. It uses basic colours, hardly any textures, and gradients pretty much only in the title bar. All the other things, like gradients on buttons and shadows around them, or slide frames on segmented controls, is what complements the flat UI to keep them visually interactive. Removing all of these cues in favour of single-colour backgrounds and coloured lines, is just unnecessary. I think this whole flat trend is going too far.
    Last edited by Eitot; 03-24-14 at 05:23 PM.
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    03-24-14 05:08 PM
    As far as the red/cyan, maybe we will get lucky, and be able to define from a subset colors. Green and orange, anyone

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 05:19 PM
    I hope blackberry can improve the contacts and phone apps

Can we have a choice to start from keypad instead of contacts page.

There is no options of swiping left (text)and right (call) in the contact pane.

Auto search of contacts using the numeric keypad is very useful. No need to type "call person name" in the search

It is hard to understand the saving options of contacts apps. I wish to see separately my local contacts and those sync from BlackBerry Link.

Lastly, in the contact app, when you open it, the cursor must be automatically active awaiting your first letter input.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:12 PM
    100% they need to get rid of the red or have the option to customize, which would be awesome by the way.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:25 PM
    Maybe the red identifies this as the equivalent of a "red shirt" collegiate athlete. Not really ready for game time.

I really don't think we'll see much of what we see in this leak (design wise, not functional wise) stick to the production versions.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:41 PM
    Guys c'mon... ROSSO (Red) FERRARI is always a win!!! (even if BlackBerry sponsors Mercedes)

Posted via CB10
    jayemmbee likes this.
    03-24-14 06:43 PM
    Guys c'mon... ROSSO (Red) FERRARI is always a win!!! (even if BlackBerry sponsors Mercedes)

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry has, for years, used red exclusively for the "action splat" and the LED notification. Red is meant to alert you to unattended business. Why the h3ll would they bleed red all over the UI so as to drown out their iconic splat? It does not make sense.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:46 PM
    Love all the arm chair ID.

/sarcasm

Z10 10.2.1.2141 via CB10
    03-24-14 07:19 PM
57 123