10.3 colour palette for themes-10.3_palettes.png

Only a single primary reference color is needed to colorize an app. A color algorithm calculates matching base and highlight colors from that single color value so that your app has a polished look and appealing gradients throughout. If you want more control over the palette, you have the option of explicitly specifying the base color yourself.
    http://developer.blackberry.com/devz...b10/color.html

On my palette, the primary colour is the first one, followed by the base colour. Depending on the global theme (dark/bright), either the 3rd or 4th colour is chosen.
    Last edited by ofutur; 05-14-14 at 09:53 AM.
    05-12-14 02:21 PM
    Think this will be os, or for apps for developing

Posted via CB10
    GP540 likes this.
    05-12-14 02:22 PM
    Woot!

MATVD - The Largest Entertainment Channel out there! Join now!
    05-12-14 02:23 PM
    I think the user will be able to select a theme in the app and select from one of these which will be offered by the OS. Kind of like we can select between Bright and Dark right now. On top of that I suspect developer will be able to define their own themes, either within the app or at the OS level.
    05-12-14 02:25 PM
    I really, really hope we can select those red accents for the OS. They looked so awesome in the first leak of 10.3, I'd love to see them come back!
    05-12-14 04:46 PM
    Sounds promising!

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 05:09 PM
    Awesome!!
    05-12-14 06:01 PM
    Why did they choose mud as inspiration?
    05-12-14 06:29 PM
    Why did they choose mud as inspiration?
    Who doesn't love a little mud?? Hahaha
    05-12-14 07:34 PM
    I would be so happy to be able to have this as a configurable option ie. choosing your accent colour.

Would also be nice to have a OS wide configuration option for dark or light theme. Setting per app doesn't make sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 09:59 PM
    Nice!!!

Trusted Member Genius
    05-12-14 11:08 PM
    Bring on the BB07 customization, loving it!
    05-12-14 11:13 PM
    I would be so happy to be able to have this as a configurable option ie. choosing your accent colour.

Would also be nice to have a OS wide configuration option for dark or light theme. Setting per app doesn't make sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    I'm waiting for BB to officialy release the 10.3 SDK to see if they make an official post to explain to devs how it works. If not, I'll take a shot.

These sub-themes work with the main dark and bright themes.
    The 3rd colour is the one used for the dark theme and the 4th one is for the bright theme.

I'm just not sure at the minute how they're supposed to mix the primary with a secondary or tertiary theme, although you can see it at work in the calendar app with the primary theme (Bright + default blue) mixed with the green secondary and the magenta tertiary colours.
    10.3 colour palette for themes-300x500ximg_20140510_232711_thumb.png.pagespeed.ic.4z163iqusd.png
    05-13-14 06:32 AM
    I'm just not sure at the minute how they're supposed to mix the primary with a secondary or tertiary theme, although you can see it at work in the calendar app with the primary theme (Bright + default blue) mixed with the green secondary and the magenta tertiary colours.
    The "magenta" you see in the calendar screenshot would be that Calendar's colour no? (eg when you have multiple calendars - work, gmail, etc - they have a colour)

Also I wouldn't expect the user to be able to decide the colour palette for apps. I think that will be up to the Developer, so that they can brand their app how they wish. Like the Calendar, the icon is green and so is the colour palette.
    05-13-14 06:48 AM
    The "magenta" you see in the calendar screenshot would be that Calendar's colour no? (eg when you have multiple calendars - work, gmail, etc - they have a colour)

Also I wouldn't expect the user to be able to decide the colour palette for apps. I think that will be up to the Developer, so that they can brand their app how they wish. Like the Calendar, the icon is green and so is the colour palette.
    Yes, the magenta is probably the colour of one of the calendars
    I think the devs will be able to introduce a theme selector within their apps. The user chooses a global Dark or Bright theme and can then personalise their apps, if allowed by the developer. Red accents for a camera app, green for the calendar, yellow for the settings, blue for the file manager, etc.
    05-13-14 07:01 AM
    This is awesome! The ability to pick your own color theme is a must. I'm getting tired of the blue. Can't wait! BlackBerry is finally listening to their loyal customer base.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 07:19 AM
    I am not sure why BlackBerry would impose fixed colour palettes. The benefit of this new colour option would be to enable developers to match the look of default components with their own branding, without having to create custom components for everything. It would make a lot more sense to me if the developer can just choose the colour values themselves.

A global setting to change the theme is something I would definitely want to see. The fact that you can change it for some apps, but not for all, makes me believe that this was simply an afterthought at the time. You can implement such an option into your own app, but you are basically intercepting the default theme of your device to show something else within your app. A global setting makes so much more sense.
    05-13-14 09:00 AM
    I see avocado green, burnt orange, harvest gold.

Hmm...

It's the 70s all over again.

Jeez, not again. I didn't like those colors the first time around.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 09:26 AM
    Yaay

Posted via CB10
    05-13-14 11:45 AM
    BlackBerry has now published information on how devs can generate themes just by defining one primary colour. It's kind of like using Sass

Only a single primary reference color is needed to colorize an app. A color algorithm calculates matching base and highlight colors from that single color value so that your app has a polished look and appealing gradients throughout. If you want more control over the palette, you have the option of explicitly specifying the base color yourself.
    Color - BlackBerry Developer

On my palette, the primary colour is the first one, followed by the base colour. Depending on the global theme (dark/bright), either the 3rd or 4th colour is chosen.
    Last edited by ofutur; 05-14-14 at 09:57 AM.
    05-14-14 09:43 AM
    BlackBerry has now published information on how devs can generate themes just by defining one primary colour. It's kind of like using Sass

Color - BlackBerry Developer

As I understood and tested it, BlackBerry 10 will create shades and tints to match the primary colour. By default, that primary colour is Sky Blue. Both the base colour and 'soft colour' are shades of the primary colour, whereby the former can be overridden and the latter is fixed. This classification of primary and secondary serves no real purpose, other than to denote BlackBerry's own usage of accents. I presume BlackBerry will use Sky Blue for most of their apps, whereas it saves these secondary colours for certain apps (e.g. Calendar uses green).

I've experimented a bit with this and I think the accents are really useful. The whole look of the app will change simply by assigning one colour value that will be applied regardless of theme. It's only unfortunate that the base colour is pretty much only visible in the title bar (see below), as controls use the soft colour for gradients.
    Attached Thumbnails 10.3 colour palette for themes-screen-shot-2014-06-13-22.00.14.png  
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    06-13-14 02:57 PM
    *The Bloods rather

..it would be good to have the choice. I'm on 10.3 now. Do I have this setting yet?

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    06-13-14 05:14 PM
    As of now in 296, there is no option to select this color. Let's see in coming leaks.

Prithvi posted thru CB10 by Z30 (10.3.0.296/441)
    06-13-14 06:51 PM