Some members here are really too accepting of forced obsolescence. Yes, we know the BB10 devices are a few years old, which apparently to some is ancient, and time for the trash, but many of us are happily using them and they still meet our needs perfectly fine.

The only reason they aren't going to work in the near future is because blackberry locked them down so much,made them reliant on connecting to BB servers both for things many of us have no interest in (all the BB services basically) and also for devs to release third party apps, and made no provisions at all for this eventuality. The development side is so locked down that the small dev community keeping these devices usable won't be able to update the few apps many of us rely on. The phone is so locked down that there is no possibility of rooting or installing an alternate rom etc.

So, Blackberry are out of the consumer market and want to cut their losses so we can all throw our devices in the garbage and buy an iphone/android. Well that's great and all, but I would have more respect for them if they made any provision whatsoever to let those of us who use BB10 devices continue to do so. Whether that's keeping the signing server going or releasing info about a way around some of the locked down aspects of the device.
    Just shutting it down with no concessions at all is a low move. They might be out of the consumer market but they seem to still be into the idea of licensing the brand for consumer devices. And this move seriously damages that brand for many of those who are most invested in the idea of physical keyboards.
    People here reply to "just upgrade to a slab", but if that were an option, we wouldn't be here in 2021.
    10-20-21 07:32 PM
    People here reply to "just upgrade to a slab", but if that were an option, we wouldn't be here in 2021.
    Actually, it's always an option.

Refusing to accept any other options is simply a choice. But it is there.
    10-20-21 10:08 PM
    Some members here are really too accepting of forced obsolescence. Yes, we know the BB10 devices are a few years old, which apparently to some is ancient, and time for the trash, but many of us are happily using them and they still meet our needs perfectly fine.

The only reason they aren't going to work in the near future is because blackberry locked them down so much,made them reliant on connecting to BB servers both for things many of us have no interest in (all the BB services basically) and also for devs to release third party apps, and made no provisions at all for this eventuality. The development side is so locked down that the small dev community keeping these devices usable won't be able to update the few apps many of us rely on. The phone is so locked down that there is no possibility of rooting or installing an alternate rom etc.

So, Blackberry are out of the consumer market and want to cut their losses so we can all throw our devices in the garbage and buy an iphone/android. Well that's great and all, but I would have more respect for them if they made any provision whatsoever to let those of us who use BB10 devices continue to do so. Whether that's keeping the signing server going or releasing info about a way around some of the locked down aspects of the device.
    Just shutting it down with no concessions at all is a low move. They might be out of the consumer market but they seem to still be into the idea of licensing the brand for consumer devices. And this move seriously damages that brand for many of those who are most invested in the idea of physical keyboards.
    BB10 devices were sold between 2013 and 2015. A "few" years old indeed.

The biggest deal-breaker issue is the 3G shutdown, thus it wouldn't matter if you could flash another OS on the device. BB10 hardware isn't compatible with current VoLTE standards, so you would have no calls or sms.

And even if you ignored the 3G issue, what OS could you install on a 32-bit snapdragon S4 anyway? On top of that, even if you DID manage to wrestle down an ancient version of Android, it would be a security Swiss-cheese nightmare.
    Last edited by conite; 10-20-21 at 10:48 PM.
    10-20-21 10:35 PM
    True, we all have the option everyday of buying many expensive products we that don't want in order to replace ones we already own and are happy with.
    I couldn't care less about the end of blackberry services/inability to use a bbid etc, but the extent to which a shutdown will limit the bb10 devices (third party devs not being able to sign new apps/updates etc) doesn't reflect well on the company and people shouldn't be so flippant about it just because they feel that phones are some disposable good that you bin every few years even if they still work fine.
    10-20-21 10:53 PM
    Phones are disposable and it really doesnt matter what BB does because the 3g shutdown will take the offline pretty much anyway. Nothing is stopping you from removing BBID and using it for as long as it will work. You can choose. BB doesnt care if you think it doesnt reflect well in your eyes. You dont make them money and mean nothing to them. You havent for quite a long time now.
    10-20-21 11:51 PM
    I couldn't care less about the end of blackberry services/inability to use a bbid etc, but the extent to which a shutdown will limit the bb10 devices (third party devs not being able to sign new apps/updates etc) doesn't reflect well on the company
    For whom do you believe that this will reflect poorly? Car companies buying BB's self-driving car software? People buying BB Radar to track shipping containers? People buying Cylance security? Because BB hasn't had any smartphone customers for more than 5 years, and they stopped caring about smartphones at least a year before that.

Do you also expect Ford to care about owners of 1972 F100 pickups? They moved on LONG ago. Of course, old trucks don't rely on thousands of other companies to continue supporting them in a super-fast-moving environment - smartphones have FAR more dependencies and thus have a far shorter usable lifespan. Smartphones are manufactured to have a lifespan of no more than 5 years (perhaps with Apple being the exception, but even their phones aren't useful for much longer), so if you're hoping for more, the real problem is your unrealistic expectations, not BB.

I realize that's not what you want to hear, but that's the reality - and it's no different for any other smartphone company. The 3G shutdown is going to obsolete a whole lot of still-working iPhones and Galaxies and even WinPhones, so it's not like anyone is picking on BB specifically.
    John Albert likes this.
    10-21-21 12:58 AM
    Anyone else still waiting for this ?

As Blackberry is basically killing BB10 in a few months, i wonder when will this promised update will show up into our BB10 devices.
    It was once announced by the BB Ceo Chen. But he was probably high that day!
    10-21-21 05:20 AM
    It was once announced by the BB Ceo Chen. But he was probably high that day!
    NIAP took so long that they folded all of the updates into 10.3.3 instead. This has been discussed at length before.
    10-21-21 07:30 AM
    Lol, I hope crackberry will still work though.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-21 02:41 PM
    Anyone else still waiting for this ?

As Blackberry is basically killing BB10 in a few months, i wonder when will this promised update will show up into our BB10 devices.
    Just 2 more weeks.
    10-22-21 03:11 AM

I agree with this. Blackberry knew they were shutting down services and it would have been a great send off for them to allow either BBID to remain up or provide an option to get around it. Which is why I posted what I did on the previous page. I only see its usefulness in regards to the backup and restore process. I have all the apps I want from Blackberryworld, so they can shut that down. Blackberry Protect also can go. I have read where several people, on this forum, say that they dual carry and use their Blackberry phone mainly for music, videos and some streaming. My only desire is to not lose the apps I have installed on the device. My Blackberry Z30(s), Classic and Passport SE do all I require.
    10-22-21 01:06 PM
    I agree with this. Blackberry knew they were shutting down services and it would have been a great send off for them to allow either BBID to remain up or provide an option to get around it. Which is why I posted what I did on the previous page. I only see its usefulness in regards to the backup and restore process. I have all the apps I want from Blackberryworld, so they can shut that down. Blackberry Protect also can go. I have read where several people, on this forum, say that they dual carry and use their Blackberry phone mainly for music, videos and some streaming. My only desire is to not lose the apps I have installed on the device. My Blackberry Z30(s), Classic and Passport SE do all I require.
    Nothing in it for BlackBerry to hire and train people to deliver this.

They haven't been a consumer-facing company for many years.
    10-22-21 01:59 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

BlackBerry isn't killing BB10, anymore than someone pulling the plug on a brain dead family member is killing them.
    Really? My phones and Blend are working just fine, doing what I want them to do: communicate effectively, and I'd keep using them indefinitely if I could.
    10-22-21 02:00 PM
    Really? My phones and Blend are working just fine, doing what I want them to do: communicate effectively, and I'd keep using them indefinitely if I could.
    Let us know how they're doing in 90 days or so...
    10-22-21 02:36 PM
    Nothing in it for BlackBerry to hire and train people to deliver this.

They haven't been a consumer-facing company for many years.
    Blackberry could have had this all in place in 2018 when they had provided the Spectre and Krack fix. There could be an autoloader, 10.3.4, in place now ready for release to disconnect our phones from the services. This could have been in place when all the developers/programmers were still there in 2018. Companies are looking well ahead to get corporate decisions made.
    10-22-21 03:10 PM
    Blackberry could have had this all in place in 2018 when they had provided the Spectre and Krack fix. There could be an autoloader, 10.3.4, in place now ready for release to disconnect our phones from the services. This could have been in place when all the developers/programmers were still there in 2018. Companies are looking well ahead to get corporate decisions made.
    But for what reason? Why exactly would BlackBerry have done that knowing the devices were going to be nearing obsolescence anyway?
    10-22-21 03:14 PM
    And how would they distribute that as most BB10 phones get updates via carriers (with whom they no longer have relationships) spread throughout the world, who in turn need software builds to be certified by the myriad of relevant local agencies and authorities (to whom they are no longer signatory) within a short timeframe of deployment? And who would pay for that even if they had somehow miraculously got all of that worked out?
    Last edited by conite; 10-22-21 at 03:45 PM.
    10-22-21 03:28 PM
    What I wonder is why Chuck spends so much time on Crackberry Forums telling us that BB is dead and a waste of time, blah, blah, blah.

What's your stake in this Chuck, that you have all this time to spend posting about a platform you keep telling is dead and gone?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-22-21 03:31 PM
    But for what reason? Why exactly would BlackBerry have done that knowing the devices were going to be nearing obsolescence anyway?
    A professional sign-off, a thanks for your loyalty goodbye, a fond farewell to all the Berryheads.

I still have a working Samsung G600 slider that I purchased in 2008 and it still works fine for calls and text, which is all I use it for. The browser fails to work, but it does what I need.
    10-22-21 03:47 PM
    And how would they distribute that as most BB10 phones get updates via carriers (with whom they no longer have relationships) spread throughout the world, who in turn need software builds to be certified by the myriad of relevant local agencies and authorities (to whom they are no longer signatory) within a short timeframe of deployment? And who would pay for that even if they had somehow miraculously got all of that worked out?
    From what I gather the autoloader can be gotten from their site. I see you post autoloaders all the time for the last version.
    10-22-21 03:48 PM
    From what I gather the autoloader can be gotten from their site. I see you post autoloaders all the time for the last version.
    Sure. But out of the 50k to 100k of remaining BB10 users, how many would know the loader was available or know how / want to even use it.

Incidentally, the autoloaders are NOT available on their site. We kinda steal it from BlackBerry's servers because we happen to know where to look.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    10-22-21 03:50 PM
    Sure. But out of the 50k to 100k of remaining BB10 users, how many would know the loader was available or know how / want to even use it.

Incidentally, the autoloaders are NOT available on their site. We kinda steal it from BlackBerry's servers because we happen to know where to look.
    As I mentioned, I am speaking of 2018 autoloader creation, not 2021. Since Blackberry announced the services shutting down ages ago, we would have all been preparing from this in the same way we are now. Info on usage would be no different than what gets explained now on this site regarding the present autoloaders. Since you guys actually get things, as you mentioned, I am sure you and the other lads would have been testing it out ages ago. Many on this site would have tested it well before the shutdown and most likely be using it right now.

In regarding to updates from Blackberry to carriers and such, who knows how that would have worked out. I am only focusing on Crackberry and your sticky fingers.
    10-22-21 04:04 PM
    As I mentioned, I am speaking of 2018 autoloader creation, not 2021. Since Blackberry announced the services shutting down ages ago, we would have all been preparing from this in the same way we are now. Info on usage would be no different than what gets explained now on this site regarding the present autoloaders. Since you guys actually get things, as you mentioned, I am sure you and the other lads would have been testing it out ages ago. Many on this site would have tested it well before the shutdown and most likely be using it right now.

In regarding to updates from Blackberry to carriers and such, who knows how that would have worked out. I am only focusing on Crackberry and your sticky fingers.
    Well, for legal and certification reasons, it would all have to be done today unless the update was exclusively made available to said sticky fingers for deployment.

In any event, ridding the device of its BBID is pretty simple. Those few who are left here on CB will be okay, so long as they act in the next few weeks.
    10-22-21 04:10 PM
    There are no BB10 developers still left to make any changes even if they wanted too.
    Then where did the BBW update came from? Who did that? Did they found somebody in the cellar chained to the servers?
    10-22-21 05:11 PM
    Then where did the BBW update came from? Who did that? Did they found somebody in the cellar chained to the servers?
    That was a simple certificate issue.
    10-22-21 05:24 PM
82 1234