It's very understandable in business terms that they let it fly with Classic for a few weeks to temp some people over. It may also be that the new software needs some further work for other devices.

Posted via CB10
    I'd say ironic rather than understandable…

The Classic was marketed as a device to give BB users what they had been asking for, to keep loyal users, and win back old ones. (see Chen's open letter announcing the Classic)

By releasing the newer OS versions only to those buying new devices, and not to all customers simultaneously, they effectively snubbed the very customers they claimed they were aiming to keep by producing the Classic… Existing customers loyal to BlackBerry.
    12-18-14 04:05 AM
    Wrong. They have always said sometime AFTER Classic release with no time frame ever mentioned.
    WRONG! They have always said "later this year" so yeah a time frame was mentioned!

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    12-18-14 04:49 AM
    If it was released in December/January it would be buggy and people would complain.

Now it's confirmed for February (likely to sort out the remaining bugs) and people are still complaining.

Come on guys we can't have it all. Complainers go install the leak!

Posted via My Beast Q10
    They had a whole year!!! A whole damn year! And you say buggy? I'm sorry but my 10.2.1 is buggy and just wait and see, 10.3.1 will still have bugs after release, no one can make a perfect software!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 04:53 AM
    I think it was kind of dumb to release the Passport and the Classic so far off from each other. They should have released the Classic two weeks after the Passport to keep the momentum going. Honestly, they weren't being looked at as a major contender for about a year. They could have taken a little longer to iron out any kinks that could have popped up in 10.3 and then released their devices. Then, when they were completely ready, they should have released 10.3.1. Even their current strategy could have worked had the Passport received the .1 update today. Right now, I kinda feel like I spent high-end money for an antiquated device. As for the older devices, I could understand the February roll-out time. They've sold as much as they were really going to sell of the first-generation devices. So, spending a lot of time and resources on those devices wouldn't be the most logical idea as it wouldn't really produce a noticeable effect on revenue. However, I do believe it's a decent plan to unify the entire ecosystem of devices in this way. Their application, though, is severely flawed.

Posted via CB10
    4justis likes this.
    12-18-14 05:24 AM
    They've taken their bloody time with this one, I'm not one to get impatient but come on... seriously. I'm not sure whether I want to buy a passport or not and have been waiting to try out 10.3 before I make my choice.

Posted via CB10
    If you buy one, you won't regret it. It's like 10.2.1 on steroids and I'm only on 10.3.0.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    12-18-14 05:47 AM
    They have always said that 10.3.1 is coming after the classic release. I have seen nothing official stating when exactly. Someone reference a blog about feb 2015 and that might be accurate. Its a little over a month away. Either way you all can either wait a month, load a leak or quit whining and go to another platform and wait for OS releases the same as you do here.
    My problem isn't with waiting for new OS releases.

My problem is that with 10.3, and 10.3.1, BB is promoting new features available only to those purchasing new devices, making their existing customer base wait an unreasonable amount of time for the same features(now 4+ months and counting since 10.3), effectively penalizing them for their loyalty.

IMO the OS updates should be rolled out across the board to ALL current devices. If an OS release isn't ready for ALL current devices? Then it just isn't ready for release…

To Quote:
    "Either way you all can either wait a month, load a leak or quit whining and go to another platform and wait for OS releases the same as you do here."

Thank you for clearly articulating what BB has basically told its existing customers on this issue. If BB is going to win back market share they need to retain the loyalty of existing customers as well as attract new ones, and this isn't the corporate attitude toward existing customers that will retain their loyalty.
    Last edited by slegros; 12-18-14 at 06:43 AM.
    jon4400, Kurt Fathul and d3r3k79 like this.
    12-18-14 06:19 AM
    I'm not BlackBerry die hard fan but I can't believe what some of you guys are talking!? BlackBerry is one of rare companies today willing to support old hardware and to release software updates for it. Personally, I'm extremely surprised that they decided to release 10.3.1 for first gen BB10 devices, and to use their limited resources for this purposes instead focusing on new products. February is not that far, and if you want to feel taste of 10.3.1 install damn leak.
    LMFAO !!
    Old Hardware?!, my one year old Z30 has much better specs than that Classic, the Passport itself is in another league. So your point seems invalid.
    Tell me what exactly is second gen about the Classic ?

I read the article about the release on N4BB, and the answers came from a Q&A event, meaning had they not been asked the question, they wouldn't have made any official announcement, still haven't.

Sometimes I wonder, how can a company miss that many opportunities to redeem itself. Case in point, a bunch of "first gen" was sold recently during the sales. Imagine how much more those new owners would be satisfied with a new 10.3.1 release and how much praise would they be giving for BlackBerry to their friends.

I could go on forever, but I'm done now. Seriously left with a bad taste in my mouth now. D�j� vu all over again.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 06:27 AM
    They have always said that 10.3.1 is coming after the classic release. I have seen nothing official stating when exactly. Someone reference a blog about feb 2015 and that might be accurate. Its a little over a month away. Either way you all can either wait a month, load a leak or quit whining and go to another platform and wait for OS releases the same as you do here.
    Totally agree here, the schedule is no different for sometime. The forum go'ers have only exasperated the issue by speculative dates. Let's rather have a delay and something solid, unlike others that release an os and some apps are broken from day one. A month is not going to put you out, install or try a leak. .1154 is running well on Z30/Z10/Z3. The noise about going to another vendor becomes childish, the others are no different.
    Travis Bakker and pogly2 like this.
    12-18-14 06:58 AM
    The way I see it, if you want 10.3.1 so bad get out and buy yourself a BlackBerry Classic. As a company trying to return to profitability (with limited resources at that) it's actually quite impressive that they are even willing to support older BB10 devices. I myself have been in both the apple and android camps and it's the same everywhere. Apples updates are regular but buggy, and android updates are a game of pick a hand, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. It is what it is folks, if you think you'd be better served by another platform nothing is keeping you from trying.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    12-18-14 08:41 AM
    The way I see it, if you want 10.3.1 so bad get out and buy yourself a BlackBerry Classic. As a company trying to return to profitability (with limited resources at that) it's actually quite impressive that they are even willing to support older BB10 devices. I myself have been in both the apple and android camps and it's the same everywhere. Apples updates are regular but buggy, and android updates are a game of pick a hand, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. It is what it is folks, if you think you'd be better served by another platform nothing is keeping you from trying.

Posted via CB10
    Really, impressed by that?
    12-18-14 10:03 AM
    So I have had my passport for less then 24 hours now and the below image is what I am getting... does anyone have this is yet? Also is it safe for download?
    10.3.1 release date?-img_20141218_090701.png

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:13 AM
    So I have had my passport for less then 24 hours now and the below image is what I am getting... does anyone have this is yet? Also is it safe for download?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141218_090701.png 
Views:	1929 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	321592

Posted via CB10
    It's safe. That's the latest update for Passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:20 AM
    Really, impressed by that?
    Yes actually! When you look at the infinite resources that Apple and Google have, compared to what BlackBerry has to work with. They have been building BlackBerry 10 from the ground up, no small feat for any company. There are bound to be delays as they debug and add features.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:31 AM
    This is my take on the release issue. It has been said the Mr. Chen is all about software for the most part. I happen to read a lot of the comments posted when ios releases new software and things go haywire and don't work correctly and Apple has to find a patch for many issues that have a lot of people infuriated. I really do think especially since one day it may be in the cards that Black Berries software services may be sold or used on other devices, that they want to totally make sure that the software that will be running on the older devices is as close to perfect as it can get before releasing it.

Does this make me happy? No. But I look at it in this way. My Z10 is already going to be several years old and once my devices hit the two year mark, I look to replace them eventually. True, by the time the software is released, and then Verizon decides to release it might be another 3-4 month wait, but in that point in time I will be looking to see what is out there and what is going to be my next choice. My disappointment is that after waiting this entire time, I probably will not get to take advantage and be one of the lucky ones who is using a device running 10.3.1 or whatever is final.

I am trying to be optimistic about this situation but am thinking that the software is going to have to be optimized drastically to be able to get it to run properly on older devices, as so much has changed internally on the new devices, especially the processors that are used and their speed, or lack of. It seems as black berry has always been a company who used the bare minimal in terms of what is under the hood and mostly only built phones for today using yesterday's leftovers, but I just can't see all of the improvements and added extras coming to the older handhelds without problems or issues. I am betting that upon final release, many of these wonderful features that are running on the newer devices are going to be left out in their entirety on the legacy devices as it is going to take too much in terms of trying to make everything work together. Too much time and money is going to be spent to try to get this right, that it is going to force many users to leave their legacy devices and opt for purchasing a new one that does run as intended. That is why I said several months ago I can see the old playbook issue all over again. I am not a hater and don't even like to think about using anything other then my black berry, but over the next few months I am going to have to seriously lay all of my cards out on the table and figure out what I am going to do, or what my next phone is going to be
    Last edited by DJM626; 12-18-14 at 11:05 AM.
    Travis Bakker likes this.
    12-18-14 10:38 AM
    LMFAO !!
    Old Hardware?!, my one year old Z30 has much better specs than that Classic, the Passport itself is in another league. So your point seems invalid.
    Tell me what exactly is second gen about the Classic ?

I read the article about the release on N4BB, and the answers came from a Q&A event, meaning had they not been asked the question, they wouldn't have made any official announcement, still haven't.

Sometimes I wonder, how can a company miss that many opportunities to redeem itself. Case in point, a bunch of "first gen" was sold recently during the sales. Imagine how much more those new owners would be satisfied with a new 10.3.1 release and how much praise would they be giving for BlackBerry to their friends.

I could go on forever, but I'm done now. Seriously left with a bad taste in my mouth now. D�j� vu all over again.

Posted via CB10
    There's no reason to have a bad taste. You just want the update so badly because of leaks and rumors. Go by what BlackBerry says, not rumors or leaks. BlackBerry said after classic launch and that's exactly what's happening.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:50 AM
    This is my take on the release issue. It has been said the Mr. Chen is all about software for the most part. I happen to read a lot of the comments posted when ios releases new software and things go haywire and don't work correctly and Apple has to find a patch for many issues that have a lot of people infuriated. I really do think especially since one day it may be in the cards that Black Berries software services may be sold or used on other devices, that they want to totally make sure that the software that will be running on the older devices is as close to perfect as it can get before releasing it.

Does this make me happy? No. But I look at it in this way. My Z10 is already going to be several years old and once my devices hit the two year mark, I look to replace them eventually. True, by the time the software is released, and then Verizon decides to release it might be another 3-4 month wait, but in that point in time I will be looking to see what is out there and what is going to be my next choice. My disappointment is that after waiting this entire time, I probably will not get to take advantage and be one of the lucky ones who is using a device running 10.3.1 or whatever is final.

I am trying to be optimistic about this situation but am thinking that the software is going to have to be optimized drastically to be able to get it to run properly on older devices, as so much has changed internally on the new devices, especially the processors that are used and their speed, or lack of. It seems as black berry has always been a company who used the bare minimal in terms of what is under the hood and mostly only built phones for today using yesterday's leftovers, but I just can't see all of the improvements and added extras coming to the older handhelds without problems or issues. I am betting that upon final release, many of these wonderful features that are running on the newer devices are going to be left out in their entirety on the legacy devices as it is going to take too much in terms of trying to make everything work together. Too much time and money is going to be spent to try to get this right, that it is going to force many users to leave their legacy devices and opt for purchasing a new one that does run as intended. That is why I said several months ago I can see the old playbook issue all over again. I am not a hater and don't even like to think about using anything other then my black berry, but over the next few months I am going to have to seriously lay all of my cards out on the table and figure out what I am going to do, or what my next phone is going to be
    You act as if all you said here is fact... all BlackBerry 10 devices are getting 10.3.1... there's no issue of "oh its too hard to optimize " that's bull****. The classic uses the same soc as the Z10. We were all wrong in when this would be released but apparently they feel it's not ready to go just yet for all our bb10 devices and we don't know the reason for that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 12-19-14 at 01:12 AM.
    12-18-14 05:09 PM
    Remind me 10.3.1 has already been leaked right?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:28 PM
    Remind me 10.3.1 has already been leaked right?

Posted via CB10
    Yes... and tested to work on all BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 05:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    True, but that's the problem… Some BB users WILL migrate to other platforms because of this.

BB has had a public image problem for several years now that has made people reluctant to give the company a chance. In order to regain market share they will need to do a BETTER job than the competition to change public perception and lure customers away from larger platforms.

They had a major chance to exceed customer expectations here, and blew it, disappointing many existing users. This forum is full of posts attempting to justify or put a positive spin on why BB chose to make its existing customer base wait 6 months for the new features in 10.3/10.3.1 that are already in the hands of those who bought new devices. Great.. Saying iOS is buggy, and Android users often don't get updates is no justification for BB here. Apple and Android are market leaders with HUGE app/developer bases, and its because of this that users are willing to tolerate things like buggy updates or no updates at all. This isn't a luxury BB has if they want to regain market share.

As a BB fan is "It is what it is folks, if you think you'd be better served by another platform nothing is keeping you from trying." the message you really want to be giving other BB users? LOL!
    Kurt Fathul and DJM626 like this.
    12-18-14 07:04 PM
    BlackBerry cut thousands of jobs in recent years. All genius hardware and software developers left the company long time ago. The rest are looking for a new job and use every single opportunity to jump in a more stable company. Situation in Waterloo is critical. There are empty office building there. Enjoy 10.3.1 update sometime in 2015 and forget about BlackBerry 11 OS. This is the sad reality.
    12-18-14 08:08 PM
    Jan.and Feb are the release. Dates for z10
    12-18-14 09:48 PM
    BlackBerry cut thousands of jobs in recent years. All genius hardware and software developers left the company long time ago. The rest are looking for a new job and use every single opportunity to jump in a more stable company. Situation in Waterloo is critical. There are empty office building there. Enjoy 10.3.1 update sometime in 2015 and forget about BlackBerry 11 OS. This is the sad reality.
    You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    12-20-14 01:25 AM
    February it is...!!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 02:52 AM
    Are these the same geniuses that ran BlackBerry into obscurity?

Posted with X10 via CB10
    akabbani likes this.
    12-20-14 02:55 AM
    Are these the same geniuses that ran BlackBerry into obscurity?
    No. In my opinion BlackBerry's main problem for years is marketing. You can't expect sales if people don't know what products you have. There are no commercials on TV, no nice and shiny billboards, not even news in major printed media. Some plumbing and duct cleaning companies do more advertising than BlackBerry, come on! Passport came out - nothing! Classic came out - nothing! Sales reps in stores know nothing, devices are not available, on back order for weeks! Hardware and software engineers did whatever they had to do, but marketing team is sleeping. How they expect to sell their product!?
    techtechnique and Kurt Fathul like this.
    12-20-14 03:55 PM
121 ... 2345