Should have known it would break something. Contact names are still all there in the contacts app, but there are no phone numbers attached to them. Call history list is now just made up of endless random phone numbers that I have no clue who they belong to off my contact list. And yes, I've restarted phone twice since the update. Arghhh

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 12:51 PM
    OMG... you still use sim card contacts?

Posted via CB10
    ProjectBrett likes this.
    02-19-15 12:54 PM
    Thanks. How helpful of you.

Yes. I have sim card contacts, because I've had endless issues with the contacts app on my z10 and this z30 over the past 2 and a bit years. So I saved important numbers on the sim card as they seemed to be the only ones the contacts app didn't eff up.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 01:30 PM
    This thread reminds me of my Moto V551 days. Sim Contacts. So retro.

But anyways, restore your contacts from a backup and save them back to the SIM card.

Since you have endless issues, I would only presume you backup your contact list using a third party app of course.
    02-19-15 02:07 PM
    Thanks. How helpful of you.

Yes. I have sim card contacts, because I've had endless issues with the contacts app on my z10 and this z30 over the past 2 and a bit years. So I saved important numbers on the sim card as they seemed to be the only ones the contacts app didn't eff up.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intention. It's just so surprising that someone still uses SIM contacts. It's a relic that dates from when phones didn't have any memory. I'm surprised that current smartphone still supports it (Hmmm maybe not the iPhone).

Hopefully you have a backup... cause I have no idea how to recover deleted info from a sim card.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 04:35 PM
    It seems more people than we think keep contacts stored in the SIM card (like my griflriend).

Anyway, if you have a secondary phone change over you SIM. Check and all contact info should be there. Copy it over to you main device's "local contacts".

From I can gather it is a reading/viewing issue. I don't think an updat could actually erase SIM contacts. This is far from a solution, but rather a a quick fix to get your contacts back.

Personally, I no longer store contacts in the SIM card since 2011. I stopped doing this after I moved abroad for a while and therefore had to change SIM and carrier. Also with all the changes in sizes (micro, nano) it doesn't seem a viable option anymore.

I find it better to keep them as "local contacts" on the device and just do regular backups. I also keep a secondary phone which stays at home and has an exact duplicate of my contacts, passwords and notes, as my main device (actually two these days, my Z30 and 9800).

I will help my gf move her contacts with the method described above and then ask her to decide whether to use cloud-based backup (Gmail or Oulook) or local backup files.

Sent from the powerful and masterful Passport!
    02-22-15 04:32 PM
    Lolz.. i also store my contacts on my sim.. hahahaha

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 07:38 PM
    Op, yes this is another well known bug with 10.3.1 unfortunately. The contacts / numbers are there believe it or not they're just not being read correctly.

If you don't have some sort of backup, I feel for you as I don't believe there's any way to really "see" or retrieve them without reverting back (basically) to 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 08:02 PM
    OP, did you try the SIM card on another phone to see if you can retrieve the contacts? If you can, I highly recommend that your store your contacts another way. I never store them on my SIM card... I changed it so often.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 10:45 PM