UPDATE: This is fixed in leaks - 1151 or later; I've personally verified 1154+1155 on the Passport. Note this does not work with Passport shipped OS + the over the air updates you get as of 11/25/2014.

~~

In 10.2.1 I could swipe up from anywhere, type something, and be assured that that's what would be in the universal search / extended search box. This was my favorite thing about my Q10. It to a large degree ameliorated the lack of hardware shortcut buttons.

In 10.3.1, it seems to save whatever was there last, which massively reduces its usefulness - why would I possibly care that I just searched for an app named "fu" in BlackBerry World (type fu, touch "BlackBerry World") when I want to do a search for "bar" with Google (swipe up from BlackBerry World, type "bar", touch "Google")? By default at least, this ends up with "fubar" being searched for.

Is there any way to return to the sane 10.2.1 behavior?

What is the use case I'm totally, completely, and profoundly missing that would make the new behavior helpful?
    Last edited by djbclark; 11-25-14 at 09:26 AM.
    11-24-14 07:17 PM
    Still works fine here, swipe up, start typing and I get BlackBerry assistant just fine.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-24-14 07:41 PM
    I agree. I believe they killed the search feature in 10.3. I hope this is not the final design for the search function. I have a Z10 and now I have to touch the search area in order for my keyboard to come up where before I didn't have to. I miss the old search functionality. Let's hope none of this is final

Posted via CB10
    djbclark, nah.uhh and Gerii like this.
    11-24-14 08:19 PM
    Still works fine here, swipe up, start typing and I get BlackBerry assistant just fine.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    You are saying something works fine for you that is nothing at all like what I wrote about. I'm not sure why you think it is at all like it; I clearly mention five steps, while you mention two. While I am happy the simpler thing you mention works for you, that fact it is not germane to this discussion.

Could you try doing the same steps I mention, and see if you get the same result?

Maybe pictures and step by step directions including lots of white space regarding how to reproduce would be helpful.

(1) Swipe up. Arrive at home screen.

10.3.1 breaks deterministic extended / universal search?-img_20141125_015420.jpg

(2) Type "fu" from your hardware keyboard.

10.3.1 breaks deterministic extended / universal search?-img_20141125_015431.jpg

(3) Touch "BlackBerry World".

10.3.1 breaks deterministic extended / universal search?-img_20141125_015440.jpg

(4) Swipe up. Arrive back at home screen.

10.3.1 breaks deterministic extended / universal search?-img_20141125_015446.jpg

(5) Type "bar" from your hardware keyboard.

10.3.1 breaks deterministic extended / universal search?-img_20141125_015456.jpg

(6) Touch "Google"

10.3.1 breaks deterministic extended / universal search?-img_20141125_015512.jpg

(7) Search is not for what I just typed, but a combination of what I typed (and already found) via BlackBerry World and the word I want to look up on google.

BTW I'm using "deterministic" in the more computer science sense of "a series of actions that will do the exact same thing each time, not keeping any state", not in the more general "every time you do something something else happens" sense. So for example when I click on Google Chrome's universal search bar, all the text is selected. If I then type something that isn't a URL, that thing is searched for. If I then do the same thing, that new thing is searched for. What it doesn't do, because it would be brain dead stupid, is to assume that I want to append text to the end of the last thing I searched for, and then carry out a search for those combined strings. That is the behavior I'm seeing, and hoping to be able to somehow turn off, in 10.3.1's universal search bar.

See also: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...screen-977979/
    nah.uhh likes this.
    11-24-14 08:22 PM
    I agree. I believe they killed the search feature in 10.3. I hope this is not the final design for the search function. I have a Z10 and now I have to touch the search area in order for my keyboard to come up where before I didn't have to. I miss the old search functionality. Let's hope none of this is final
    Thanks; glad at least it's not just me. Looks like you beat my long reply post to the reply above yours by a few minutes :-)
    11-24-14 08:27 PM
    Also since this breaks a large part of my daily workflow / my favorite thing about BlackBerry, I'm going to be returning my BlackBerry Passport to Amazon.

If someone ever reads this thread and at that time this has been fixed, let us know; I'm subscribed to the thread, so perhaps at that point I'll give 10.3.x another chance.
    11-24-14 08:33 PM
    It remebers your last string as long as you keep the assistant open.. closing assistant it what resets the input field back to null. They should have a setting to close it after your action though, or be able to open another instance of the assistant with the new search.

Posted via CB10
    fadi.alsaidi likes this.
    11-24-14 09:03 PM
    Not a bad idea Spike

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 09:10 PM
    I hope they put enough options in the final build to at least customize your search flow. But the current one is not that great. At least an option to open another search instance or kill the current one automatically , as mentioned by Spike 12, would be a good solution

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 09:14 PM
    Erg.

Annoying they integrated the two so closely that search is an aspect of the running assistant app. I love universal search, but would uninstall assistant if I could.

That explanation also doesn't seem to bode well for this ever getting fixed; I've never seen a self-closing application - and some self-important UI "engineer" probably won't want to make an exception lest the "consistent user experience" they designed be sullied.
    11-24-14 09:18 PM
    This was fixed since 1151 at least (IIRC fixed in the leak right before 1151). Swipe up, enter search term. Swipe up again, enter search term in auto-cleared text field.
    djbclark likes this.
    11-25-14 02:12 AM
    This was fixed since 1151 at least (IIRC fixed in the leak right before 1151). Swipe up, enter search term. Swipe up again, enter search term in auto-cleared text field.
    +1 I cant reproduce the issue the op experiences, it auto clears

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    11-25-14 02:38 AM
    Hmm I guess the version that the Passport updates to over the air after you get it must be lower than that. Thanks, I'll try installing a leak! Maybe I can keep it after all :-)

BTW why this annoys me: I make heavy use of apps that "abuse" extended search as a way of doing things (other than searching) fast. "High Notes", "Email Me", "Power Timer", "Quick Event", "Rapid Reminders", "Set Reminders", "To Do" etc. Esp. High Notes in concert with "BRON" lets you do nifty things.
    11-25-14 07:46 AM
    Yay! 1154+1155 fixed this. So happy! Thanks so much! :-) :-) :-)
    spike12 likes this.
    11-25-14 09:23 AM
    Mine works properly - I search one thing, swipe up and start typing again and it starts a new assistant search. My issue is it almost never gives me a google search option - I have to type "google" to tell it to search the net.
    11-26-14 07:41 PM