Hi all,

Apologies first if this has been mentioned somewhere else. Just wanted to point out that two common issues with this OS seem to be memory related. First, some users have reported that the android.process.acore error only exists after restoring their application data, yet android apps seem to work ok before the restore. It seems that the error appears due to insufficient ram, which is the same reason why the camera tends to crash upon launch.

This brings me to my question: does anyone know how to reduce the amount of ram that the System (mine currently at ~400mb - seems rather high?), BlackBerry Hub (~100mb) PIM Services (~100mb) or input services (~60mb) take? Reducing these could lead to a stable android runtime experience.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    03-26-14 09:08 AM
    You can't really do much about it. It's the way the core OS is coded but remember this is a really early build, as development progress, RAM use would drop.

Posted via CB10
    Nate113 likes this.
    03-26-14 09:10 AM
    Revert back to 10.2.1, 10.3 is NOT ready for primetime hence why it's not released to the public.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:10 AM
    Revert back to 10.2.1, 10.3 is NOT ready for primetime hence why it's not released to the public.

Posted via CB10
    Obviously it isn't ready, but for an alpha build it is actually quite good. I guess my post was more that there isn't anything really wrong with the android runtime on this build, but just memory usage. If we could find a way to lower that a bit (whether by turning off some features in the settings or removing accounts, etc), it would actually be quite usable.
    03-26-14 09:15 AM
    Obviously it isn't ready, but for an alpha build it is actually quite good. I guess my post was more that there isn't anything really wrong with the android runtime on this build, but just memory usage. If we could find a way to lower that a bit (whether by turning off some features in the settings or removing accounts, etc), it would actually be quite usable.
    Then don't complain

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 10:45 AM
    Just reboot your phone daily

Posted via CB10
    Nate113 likes this.
    03-26-14 11:34 AM
    Putting on my CrackBerry-issue speculation hat, maybe this means that future BB10 devices will have more RAM?

Taking off the hat, maybe this is a pre-pre-pre-alpha OS and that they'll fix it in later releases?

Anyway, keep background apps, Android apps and syncing to a minimum if you want to conserve RAM.
    1magine likes this.
    03-26-14 11:40 AM
    @goku - oh. You had it. I was looking for what happened to that stick. Please remove same. No one was complaining. In fact the OP was trying to be helpful.
    go1ndr and etnt7 like this.
    03-27-14 07:58 AM
    @goku - oh. You had it. I was looking for what happened to that stick. Please remove same. No one was complaining. In fact the OP was trying to be helpful.
    He asked how to reduce the RAM usage. The problem is that's hard to do when you can't exactly end processes at will PLUS considering that this IS an early build of the OS problems like this are expected.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 08:34 AM
    Hi all,

Apologies first if this has been mentioned somewhere else. Just wanted to point out that two common issues with this OS seem to be memory related. First, some users have reported that the android.process.acore error only exists after restoring their application data, yet android apps seem to work ok before the restore. It seems that the error appears due to insufficient ram, which is the same reason why the camera tends to crash upon launch.

This brings me to my question: does anyone know how to reduce the amount of ram that the System (mine currently at ~400mb - seems rather high?), BlackBerry Hub (~100mb) PIM Services (~100mb) or input services (~60mb) take? Reducing these could lead to a stable android runtime experience.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    The problem isn't ram. The newly designed version may have issues with restoring from older code. Backups are meant for restoring to the SAME version, not newer ones. We always take a chance on some older data not playing well with newer os's. It's been proven with a lot of the updated os's especially a major one. (from 10.2 to 10.3 is major...10.2.0 to 10.2.1 is more likely to accept older code.) I have loaded almost every Z10 leak since March 30 2013 and I have been beta testing and reporting back to the BlackBerry Development Team at [email protected] and you are also welcome to email them there with any and all suggestions. YOU WILL NOT GET ANY PERSONAL REPLY SO DON'T EXPECT ONE. The way we get replies are the changes that you see in the os's.

Trusted Member Genius
    03-28-14 01:44 AM
    don't be a smart arse goku, sheesh!
    04-02-14 05:49 PM
    don't be a smart arse goku, sheesh!
    No one said I was trying to be. If you've got problems with 10.3 and considering how early the build is, there will be issues. The solution is wait for another build or better yet wait until one carrier releases it.

Posted via CB10
    djdragon likes this.
    04-02-14 06:55 PM
    @1magine, you may want to check again, I think there might be a few more sticks in there.

@goku, he was making a statement and asking a question, not sure how that became a complaint.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-14 11:03 PM
    From my experience running 10.3, the problem lies in how it manages indexing. Makes many things perform buggy at best. Being a very early build, it shows me there's a lot to be excited about, hopefully coming soon to a leak thread near you.
    04-02-14 11:57 PM
    I'm guessing the ram usage is due to logging being turned on or something. My hub uses half that ram at peak on 10.2.1 and ram usage doesn't just double for no reason. Logging builds or maybe debug builds that are just bloated binaries without optimizations?

Posted via CB10
    Gearheadaddy and Nate113 like this.
    04-03-14 01:41 AM
    Just reboot your phone daily

Posted via CB10
    While frustrating, frequent reboots are actually the key! Probably all kinds of logging going on, as Meltbox360 mentioned. Also love the new camera... during the first hour after the phone reboots lol.
    04-04-14 04:01 PM
    Then don't complain

Posted via CB10
    This is BlackBerry we're talking about... Wouldn't dream of it
    04-04-14 04:02 PM