Can we edit the title please to be a little less dramatic?

Bug (which requires a specific 9 step process to trigger) which requires a reboot to solve.
    08-28-13 02:23 AM
    Stl100-2, OS.1371.

All is working fine.
    I always restore after an OS Update.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 02:33 AM
    Does this happen on 10.1?
    Haven't had time to test yet.

Step one for OP is to find a place to store your contacts in the cloud or somewhere other than locally on your device. Recipe for disaster.
    Storing my curated contacts in the cloud is my recipe for a disaster.

So I'm guessing none of your contacts are in the cloud?
    Nope, for several reasons, but mainly because of sync disasters and privacy issues.
    08-28-13 06:25 AM
    Can we edit the title please to be a little less dramatic?

Bug (which requires a specific 9 step process to trigger) which requires a reboot to solve.
    It's changed internally, but CB doesn't updated it if it's been modified x minutes after it was originally posted.

And the 9 step process is an attempt to reproduce the problem quickly. When it happened to me the first time, I was doing a demonstration of how clever BB10 is with its activity tab... I had to quickly state that I was running beta software and that the 10k q10 they wanted to order would not have that issue
    Last edited by ofutur; 08-29-13 at 05:43 PM.
    08-28-13 06:33 AM
    lost about 150contacts when upgrading from 10.1.0.4285 to 10.2.0.1443. How can I restore all of them from the backup?
    08-29-13 02:14 PM
    lost about 150contacts when upgrading from 10.1.0.4285 to 10.2.0.1443. How can I restore all of them from the backup?
    :S
    Your best option would be to go back to 10.1 and do a backup via an app which exports to VCard 3.0.
    Then you can install 10.2 and import them back (after removing them all in order to avoid duplication).
    08-29-13 02:26 PM
    damn :-(

do you have any tip for good app, which will do that?

BTW: do you know in which part of the backup are contacts stored? Application Data, Media or Settings?
    08-29-13 02:30 PM
    damn :-(

do you have any tip for good app, which will do that?

BTW: do you know in which part of the backup are contacts stored? Application Data, Media or Settings?
    PIM Backup and Restore or Contacts X. You should contact the devs to see if something will be left behind.

Afaik, contacts are stored in Settings.
    08-29-13 02:42 PM
    OP did you restore from a backup? This sounds like a corrupt backup file that's causing you issues....

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 02:44 PM
    OP did you restore from a backup? This sounds like a corrupt backup file that's causing you issues....

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I did, like any regular user would do. Hopefully BB is reading this and will avoid the 10.1 MR PR disaster by offering a proper fix for all the restore issues in the next release candidates.
    08-29-13 03:01 PM
    I don't even care if blackberry link does not properly back up my contacts, i gave up on that program the first time it did and pick up contactx. Solved all my problems,

Posted via Q10
    08-29-13 03:55 PM
    Yep, I did, like any regular user would do. Hopefully BB is reading this and will avoid the 10.1 MR PR disaster by offering a proper fix for all the restore issues in the next release candidates.
    I've had this happen to me as well. Only one time. The cause was definitely a corrupted backup file, I loaded up another and all was good. I don't think is very widespread tbh. I've loaded a leaked OS and restored from a backup created just before the OS load maybe 20 times, only encountered this issue once. It's not too much of a PITA to just restore another backup, providing you have one that is...
    08-29-13 04:25 PM
    I've had this happen to me as well. Only one time. The cause was definitely a corrupted backup file, I loaded up another and all was good. I don't think is very widespread tbh. I've loaded a leaked OS and restored from a backup created just before the OS load maybe 20 times, only encountered this issue once. It's not too much of a PITA to just restore another backup, providing you have one that is...
    This happens every time I load the most recent backup and I've tried with different backups made this month, but you're right, I could try a 10.1 settings backup to see if they now have fixed in place.
    08-29-13 05:30 PM
    As long as I stay away from the activity tab, then things are fine and it seems to only come from certain contacts...
    Coming in late to the discussion. Have not been able to reproduce this on my Z10 STL-4/10.2.0.1443. I did have a problem with one contact that kept causing a problem with Google contacts syncing properly. Once i deleted that contact and then created a new one for that person the problem resolved. Maybe a similar step for the contacts that you identify as triggering the problem might be in order. Just my random thought.

Docbill
    Z10, STL-4/10.2.0.1443
    08-29-13 05:40 PM
    Coming in late to the discussion. Have not been able to reproduce this on my Z10 STL-4/10.2.0.1443. I did have a problem with one contact that kept causing a problem with Google contacts syncing properly. Once i deleted that contact and then created a new one for that person the problem resolved. Maybe a similar step for the contacts that you identify as triggering the problem might be in order. Just my random thought.

Docbill
    Z10, STL-4/10.2.0.1443
    Just tried with old settings and it doesn't matter which contact I play with on the Q, after having waited for ages for the spinning wheel to disappear, things are kaputt.
    If corrupted contacts card do this much damage, then BB needs much better integrity checks.
    08-29-13 05:52 PM
    This happens every time I load the most recent backup and I've tried with different backups made this month, but you're right, I could try a 10.1 settings backup to see if they now have fixed in place.
    I'd do a security wipe, OS reload, and then a 10.1 backup. If it causes the same problems then something is seriously off....
    08-29-13 05:53 PM
    I'd do a security wipe, OS reload, and then a 10.1 backup. If it causes the same problems then something is seriously off....
    I always wipe, so that's not the issue, but I'm going to try 10.1 to see what happens there.
    08-29-13 06:00 PM
    I'm not going to get my contacts back if I don't restore

I've noticed that I can type on lots of contacts before it breaks down, so I'm not sure what is causing this. Links, social network accounts, etc.
    Buy the Contact X app from BBRY World and save yourself a truckload of aggravation. It works like a charm.
    08-29-13 06:55 PM
    Just out of curiosity, did testers have contacts stored locally or remotely? 100% of my contacts are stored locally.
    09-02-13 01:30 PM
    Just out of curiosity, did testers have contacts stored locally or remotely? 100% of my contacts are stored locally.
    Mine are sync'd through an Outlook account. I mostly don't keep "local" contacts, and even delete the local entry, leaving only the Outlook entry, when I add a new contact on the Z10 itself.
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    09-02-13 01:34 PM
    Previously I always had everything 100% local. Seemed somewhat problematic for keeping things organized on BB10 though, so I've migrated all contacts to email and sync that way. Seems to play a bit nicer with no local contacts.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 11:19 AM
    I just started to experience this today. I am installing the new leak as we speak so wish me well!
    09-13-13 02:27 AM
    I just started to experience this today. I am installing the new leak as we speak so wish me well!
    I'm glad I'm not alone any more, but it seems like this won't be fixed in the final release of 10.2, so users will have to come up with solutions on their own...
    09-13-13 06:22 AM
    I also have contact issues . When I open contacts and start to scroll contacts start to disappear and then the list is completely gone. If I wait for 1 minute or so the list will start to come back however it is a frozen screen at that point( as far as selecting a contact ) . I have to close contacts and reopen and all is fine, this holds true everytime I have this problem. About a week ago I stupidly left my Z in my shorts pocket and it went for a ride in the washer. That phone had the exact same issue running .1443. Now my relacement phone came with a much older OS 10.0 xxxx so before I updated to a newer OS I tested, for a few days, to see if this contact issue was present . It was not. So I loaded up 10.2.1.200 DID NOT RESTORE actually loaded only about a dozen contacts manually , did security wipe only to find that I still have the exact same contact issue. For me this problem started 10.2.0.1047, OS.810 DID NOT have this contact issue. I run no social apps, no side loaded apps. 1 email account . Just thought I would share what I have experienced , unfortunetly I have no solution to this problem.Oh Ya running STL-100-4 on Verizon.
    09-13-13 08:48 AM
    I also have contact issues . When I open contacts and start to scroll contacts start to disappear and then the list is completely gone. If I wait for 1 minute or so the list will start to come back however it is a frozen screen at that point( as far as selecting a contact ) . I have to close contacts and reopen and all is fine, this holds true everytime I have this problem. About a week ago I stupidly left my Z in my shorts pocket and it went for a ride in the washer. That phone had the exact same issue running .1443. Now my relacement phone came with a much older OS 10.0 xxxx so before I updated to a newer OS I tested, for a few days, to see if this contact issue was present . It was not. So I loaded up 10.2.1.200 DID NOT RESTORE actually loaded only about a dozen contacts manually , did security wipe only to find that I still have the exact same contact issue. For me this problem started 10.2.0.1047, OS.810 DID NOT have this contact issue. I run no social apps, no side loaded apps. 1 email account . Just thought I would share what I have experienced , unfortunetly I have no solution to this problem.Oh Ya running STL-100-4 on Verizon.
    I'm glad we're starting to see more reports about this issue. Thank you for your detailed reply.

Are you using mostly local contacts?
    Did you enable the "Search for contact details" option in settings?

In the latest internal OS leak, things can self-heal at times, using over 50% CPU and draining one's battery, but ultimately things go so wrong that you have to restart or reset.
    09-13-13 09:33 AM
57 123