Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to diagnose and fix my problem with the latest leak on my Q10 for a week now but hit a wall. I've installed 10.2.1.1925 seven days ago (should have settled by now). Since day one of the install I encountered a heavy drain on the battery from the "System" process.

• Installed via "Wipe -> Autoloader -> Basic Setup -> Wipe -> Autoloader -> Full Setup" Method
    • Did not do any restore from link whatsoever
    • Tried Hard-Reset (via volume buttons), and Battery pull
    • Tried different radios (1056, 1899, 1926)
    • Disabled "Swipe to Unlock"
    • Have the same accounts set up that I had before on the latest carrier release: Outlook Email/Calendar/Contacts, Google Calendar/Contacts, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, Dropbox.
    • Drain occurs regardless of Radio Settings (Location ON/OFF, WIFI ON/OFF, 4G ON/OFF, Airplane Mode, Bedside Mode)

Is there any way to dig deeper into which part of "System" (which appears to me is a notion for the whole of the BB10 Kernel / Basic System Processes) is permanently draining battery? There must be an endless loop somewhere that keeps on running ... Even just a tool that would list all running processes and their cpu time would be helpful to figure out what's going on.

Any further help would be highly appreciated!

HF

10.2.1.1925 - Heavy Battery Drain From System and Standby Processes-img_20140111_102126.png
    10.2.1.1925 - Heavy Battery Drain From System and Standby Processes-img_20140111_104302.png
    10.2.1.1925 - Heavy Battery Drain From System and Standby Processes-img_20140111_104239.png
    10.2.1.1925 - Heavy Battery Drain From System and Standby Processes-img_20140111_104208.png
    Last edited by hfearly; 01-11-14 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Whoops fixed title - didn't have my coffee yet
    CatScan29 likes this.
    01-11-14 09:46 AM
    Load the leaked again then security wipe. Happened to me before on the same OS. Just getting 6 hours WITHOUT using the phone. Loading the leaked again helped me to have a normal battery life again.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 09:59 AM
    Here happening the same even with clean install the system is draining battery even when the phone is on stand by my phone goes to 100% to 70% on few hours phone was in stand by!! That's sucks

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 10:10 AM
    same here. hope it would be fixed with 10.2.1 official release
    01-11-14 11:08 AM
    I want to report that the fix as suggested by user magsasaka has solved the issue for me! Took a full backup, then ran the autoloader for 10.2.1.1925 again to overwrite the existing OS. After reboot, restored the full backup I had just taken 10 minutes before. I had to sign in to each account again (password were not restored, as per default), and PIM services went crazy for about an hour (I assume indexing). So far no more battery drain, System at 1.6% over 3 hours, Standby 0.8%. Then again, the SNAP store and all Android apps that I have previously installed are gone since they were not backed-up / restored via Link. Maybe the Android-Installer / System was the culprit?

Sorry, premature. Once I enabled WiFi, the battery drain was back. Device monitor shows that since enabling WiFi, the System process downloaded 22GB data and uploaded 600MB data. What the heck?! No wonder the battery drains dry when this phone goes nuts on data transfers when WiFi is on ...
    Last edited by hfearly; 01-11-14 at 06:12 PM.
    01-11-14 03:03 PM
    I want to report that the fix as suggested by user magsasaka has solved the issue for me! Took a full backup, then ran the autoloader for 10.2.1.1925 again to overwrite the existing OS. After reboot, restored the full backup I had just taken 10 minutes before. I had to sign in to each account again (password were not restored, as per default), and PIM services went crazy for about an hour (I assume indexing). So far no more battery drain, System at 1.6% over 3 hours, Standby 0.8%. Then again, the SNAP store and all Android apps that I have previously installed are gone since they were not backed-up / restored via Link. Maybe the Android-Installer / System was the culprit?

Sorry, premature. Once I enabled WiFi, the battery drain was back. Device monitor shows that since enabling WiFi, the System process downloaded 22GB data and uploaded 600MB data. What the heck?! No wonder the battery drains dry when this phone goes nuts on data transfers when WiFi is on ...
    Maybe because it is fresh install and still needs to sync some data?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 08:06 PM
    Often a battery pull fixes issues like this, especially after reloading the OS. Yes, the BlackBerry battery pull lives.

Shutdown your phone, then pull the battery. Let the phone sit for 30 minutes or so and reinstall the battery. A few minutes doesn't do it.
    i_hiker likes this.
    01-11-14 09:46 PM
    Often a battery pull fixes issues like this, especially after reloading the OS. Yes, the BlackBerry battery pull lives.

Shutdown your phone, then pull the battery. Let the phone sit for 30 minutes or so and reinstall the battery. A few minutes doesn't do it.
    Can't do that on my Z30

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 09:55 PM
    I don't know if my situation is the same as yours but I've been experiencing random drains as well. Running the same leak and didn't do a backup restore, just setup as new. I've been running the leak since release.
    Every now and then I'll notice phone getting hot and the battery draining like crazy. I go into the device monitor and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I can't figure it out the only thing that fixes is restarting the device.
    Oh and I don't have any android apps on my device.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 09:59 PM
    I have the same issue on my Z30 with the 10.2.1.1925 OS. Not sure what is causing it but over the last 48 hours 18% of the battery drain was due to Standby (way too high) and 39% was System.

No amount of resetting seems to help and reloading the OS also did not help. I never tried to do a reload followed by a security wipe. Maybe I will try this as well and report back.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 10:30 PM
    I reloaded the leak and then did a security wipe after initial setup. I haven't had any issues since them!
    01-21-14 12:34 PM
    Did you try holding down the power button during the reboot until the splash screen comes on for the carrier?

Can't do that on my Z30

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 11:58 AM
    Did you try holding down the power button during the reboot until the splash screen comes on for the carrier?
    what does that do?
    01-27-14 01:13 PM
    I remembered reading in the 4500 mah battery forum to do this in order to get the os to display the correct battery level. It worked for me after I was experiencing battery draining very quickly.
    01-27-14 01:43 PM
    I would expect that in the next couple of days a lot of folks might want to use this thread. It took about 40 hours before a sign of battery issue arose for me, having loaded 1925 on Friday afternoon (24th). After familiarizing myself with the OS on Saturday I got a full day of work out the Z10 on Sunday. The battery life was amazing. Pounded heavily on the Z for over 12 hours and put it on the stock charger about 10:30, and over night the issue began. In the morning (Monday) the battery drain nightmare was in full force and leaking like a sieve. Fortunately, I was never far from a charger and made it through the day. Re-boots didn't do a thing. Yesterday morning the Z came off the charger at 98%. This morning was 95%. Put the Z into Airplane mode, turned the device off and pulled the battery. Left it out for a full half hour as I read in a post to do that. I then put the battery back in and things seem to be settling down. I hope the battery returns to the performance I was getting on Saturday and it seem to be moving in the right direction. Moderate use in 4 hours and running at 85%. We'll see how it recharges tonight. Good luck to those that need this thread.
    01-28-14 12:19 PM
    I give my Z10 about three days to settle after loading an OS, then do the 30 minute battery pull. If I later notice that my battery is draining excessively and my SYSTEM process is running like a racehorse (continually idling at more than about 4 or 5%), a BP normally makes everything right.
    01-29-14 12:03 AM
    I too was having an insanely high Standby drain, so I pulled the battery on my Z10 for an hour, charged it to 95%, pulled the charger for 5 minutes, and then plugged it back in to get 100% charged.

I am now getting amazing battery performance when I am not using it, like it will last for 2 says of little to no use. Playing games drains it like crazy though. :-)

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-29-14 08:01 AM
    After the 30 minute battery pull yesterday and a full 14+ hours of moderate to heavy use (phone, email, text) I was at 38% . Fairly amazing! However, more but less serious drain this morning. Did a simple reboot and we'll see what happens. Just took it off the charger and headed out the door...

CB10 via Z10 on 10.2.1.1925
    01-29-14 08:45 AM
    Keeping the battery out makes no sense. If residual charge is an issue then simply press the power button a few times with the battery out. However, even that is bogus. Residual charge will have no effect on battery life.

I agree that 1925 has battery drain issues, but doing power cycling isn't going to fix it.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 09:19 AM
    So it's been 2 weeks since I first posted about this problem. Recommendations as to "a fresh OS install will need to index things, and it will settle down after a few days", while appreciated have turned out to be complete non-sense. The same battery drain behaviour is prevalent, 3 weeks down the road.

Things I've tried that didn't fix the problem:

- Battery Pull for 30 minutes
    - Keeping Power Button pressed during boot
    - Turn on/off Wifi

On a side note though - once WiFi is turned on, the drain gets more severe. Surprisingly this is not due to the radio hardware, but the BB10 OS itself: looking at the System process it will begin to download 2GB / day (and upload 700 MB per day) from/to somewhere unspecified. What is causing these massive background data transfers? It's not email (less than 200mb on server), and neither Dropbox, Box, nor Evernote are enabled.
    01-29-14 09:40 AM
    Do you have android apps installed? When yes maybe a app is downloading stuff in the background? I had virus an my Z10 today doing that, stealing data etc etc

Ericsson GF198(GSM900) im D2 Privat Netz
    01-29-14 12:36 PM
    Do you have android apps installed? When yes maybe a app is downloading stuff in the background? I had virus an my Z10 today doing that, stealing data etc etc

Ericsson GF198(GSM900) im D2 Privat Netz
    Negative. Not even on of the app stores (like snap or 1 mobile), nor Google Maps.
    01-29-14 02:57 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to diagnose and fix my problem with the latest leak on my Q10 for a week now but hit a wall. I've installed 10.2.1.1925 seven days ago (should have settled by now). Since day one of the install I encountered a heavy drain on the battery from the "System" process.

• Installed via "Wipe -> Autoloader -> Basic Setup -> Wipe -> Autoloader -> Full Setup" Method
    • Did not do any restore from link whatsoever
    • Tried Hard-Reset (via volume buttons), and Battery pull
    • Tried different radios (1056, 1899, 1926)
    • Disabled "Swipe to Unlock"
    • Have the same accounts set up that I had before on the latest carrier release: Outlook Email/Calendar/Contacts, Google Calendar/Contacts, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, Dropbox.
    • Drain occurs regardless of Radio Settings (Location ON/OFF, WIFI ON/OFF, 4G ON/OFF, Airplane Mode, Bedside Mode)

Is there any way to dig deeper into which part of "System" (which appears to me is a notion for the whole of the BB10 Kernel / Basic System Processes) is permanently draining battery? There must be an endless loop somewhere that keeps on running ... Even just a tool that would list all running processes and their cpu time would be helpful to figure out what's going on.

Any further help would be highly appreciated!

HF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140111_102126.png 
Views:	3080 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	237730

Name:	IMG_20140111_104302.png 
Views:	3079 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	237729

Name:	IMG_20140111_104239.png 
Views:	3074 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	237728

Name:	IMG_20140111_104208.png 
Views:	3070 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	237727
    You might have a lot of Android Apps installed.
    01-29-14 03:22 PM
    As state *one* post before yours: NO there are no Android Apps installed.
    01-29-14 03:33 PM
    So it's been 2 weeks since I first posted about this problem. Recommendations as to "a fresh OS install will need to index things, and it will settle down after a few days", while appreciated have turned out to be complete non-sense. The same battery drain behaviour is prevalent, 3 weeks down the road.

Things I've tried that didn't fix the problem:

- Battery Pull for 30 minutes
    - Keeping Power Button pressed during boot
    - Turn on/off Wifi

On a side note though - once WiFi is turned on, the drain gets more severe. Surprisingly this is not due to the radio hardware, but the BB10 OS itself: looking at the System process it will begin to download 2GB / day (and upload 700 MB per day) from/to somewhere unspecified. What is causing these massive background data transfers? It's not email (less than 200mb on server), and neither Dropbox, Box, nor Evernote are enabled.
    It would seem awfully presumptuous for you to label these suggestions and experiences as "complete non-sense (sic)". Every one of these devices are different enough from one another that what causes these issues for some might not be the cause for others. Accordingly, what fixes my BB10 device might fix yours, and it might not. Please don't discount these suggestions just because your issue is not resolved.
    01-29-14 10:26 PM
39 12