Update 2 - Libretrodb and Achievements
    I've managed to get both libretrodb and retroachievements support compiled in, which rounds out the core functionality I've been aiming for. Version 1.3.6.3 is now available below.

From here on out, it'll be bugfixes and working on compatibility with the official buildbot so we can push toward an official release. I want to look at doing some Cascades integration too, but for now I think getting this into the libretro mainline is super important.

BAR Files
    I'll be changing up how I provide links from here on out- in the interest of having all past builds easily accessible, I've set up a folder structure on MEGA. The latest builds will always be on the top level, and older builds will be moved into the archive folder.

RetroArch 1.3.6.2 - ES2 (MEGA)
    RetroArch 1.3.6.2 - ES3 (MEGA)

You can install the appropriate build to your device using Sachesi.

Github Source
    You can find my fork of RetroArch here:
    https://github.com/ShiftyAxel/RetroArch/

Update 1½ - Fixed ES2 Build For Real This Time
    There were some lingering errors in the ES2 release build config that I'd overlooked, so I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb, tested it to death, and am uploading a new build as I type this. As there have been no code changes it's still 1.3.6.2, so try re-downloading if you had problems with it previously.

Update 1 - Fixed ES2 Build, Full Keymapping
    I managed to get hold of a Q10 today, did some testing on it and discovered that I had bungled the initial ES2 build. Its compiler settings were overwritten with ES3 ones at some point, which was causing the RetroArch graphics driver to fail on launch. Sorry everyone!

I've now corrected that, and also figured out the correct keycode mappings for the 0, sym and currency keys. In my limited testing, it runs very well on Q10- consistent full speed in Tekken 3!

Original Post
    RetroArch 1.3.6 for BlackBerry 10
    I recently got a Blackberry Passport, and discovered that the platform hadn't seen any RetroArch builds since an unofficial version of 1.0.2 back in 2014. This version was unfinished: It had had little in the way of settings, wouldn't save input bindings, and was running a minimal UI built in Cascades instead of the fully-formed internal RGUI, XMB or GLUI interfaces.

I was able to hack together my own build with hard-coded keybinds to partially circumvent these issues, but ultimately it wasn't good enough compared to the Android builds I'd had on previous devices.

So, over the holiday period I've been working to bring the mainline RetroArch Blackberry 10 codebase up to scratch. I'll be sorting my changes into git commits and issuing a pull request on github soon (which *might* mean that official releases can resume), but I wanted to get a release out before my day job resumes and my free time decreases.

Note that I only have the one device to test on and the BB10 simulator doesn't run on Windows 10, so any feedback from people with other devices is welcome. In particular, the Blackberry Classic trackpad and navigation button support needs testing, and it'd be useful to know if the alt, shift, sym and currency keys bind correctly on non-Passport keyboard devices.

Screenshots
    [Unofficial Release] RetroArch 1.3.6 for BlackBerry 10-s0vcawi.jpg[Unofficial Release] RetroArch 1.3.6 for BlackBerry 10-qqdtfkd.jpg
    Features
    • Latest RetroArch build
    • OpenGL ES 2.0 and 3.0 builds for supported devices
      The ES2 build will work on all devices, but ES3 will run better if your hardware supports it
    • RetroArch-native UI implementation
      Uses touch-centric GLUI by default but can be configured to use XMB or RGUI
    • Full configuration exposed by native UI
    • Overlay support
      Users with keyboard devices will probably want to turn this off in Settings -> Onscreen Display -> Onscreen Overlay
    • RetroArch-native input binding & remapping
    • Full keyboard support
      With gamepad-style ESWD d-pad / ILKO buttons default bindings
    • Gamepad support
      Bluetooth tested and working with DualShock 4. USB OTG untested, but should work
    • Blackberry Classic trackpad support
      Untested. Bound to Toggle Menu / Backspace
    • Blackberry Classic navigation key support
      Untested. Scrolling bound to arrow keys, click bound to return. Sensitivity should be configured for two menu clicks per inch scrolled.
    • Touch navigation support
      Swipe down from the top bezel to toggle menu
    • Netplay support
      Untested
    • User-accessible content directory
      Located on the device's internal storage in misc/retroarch
    • The same selection of built-in cores as the 1.0.2 release
    • Working online updater for downloading up-to-date cores and content from the RetroArch buildbot

Notes
    • As with the android version, no support for auto-rotation
      Can be set manually in Settings -> Video
    • On first run, the app has to extract some core RetroArch files to a writable directory due to the way BB10 handles its internal folder structure. It will appear to be frozen on the space invader logo, but give it some time and it'll boot to the menu.
      Takes about ~30s on my Passport SE

Still to come
    • Buildbot compatibility
    • Cascades UI
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01-09-17 at 02:37 PM.
    moosbb, andreszs, Blaby and 16 others like this.
    01-02-17 12:33 PM
    that's so cool, thanks for the support.
    01-02-17 12:51 PM
    Seeing anything BB-related on Github is great, let alone an up-to-date Retroarch.
    CyberMan2013 and andreszs like this.
    01-02-17 01:52 PM
    Just Bravo!! And merci!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-17 02:17 PM
    I thought I was dreaming :/. Support for BB10! XD
    Thanks and Keep up the good work.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jevinzac; 01-02-17 at 03:25 PM.
    01-02-17 02:47 PM
    Thanks for the time you put into this. Can't wait to test it out.
    01-02-17 02:58 PM
    Going to check this out out soon as I'm done laying flooring tonight.

Awesome, thanks.

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    01-02-17 05:25 PM
    I can't get it to recognize any of my roms. I navigate to their folders, and no file is found. These same roms are found and played through the previous BB10 version of RetroArch.

I'm using a Passport. Any ideas?
    01-02-17 10:28 PM
    Mine just frezzes on the start screen. Not responsive to anything, even reinstalling
    01-02-17 11:00 PM
    You do realize the controversy this is going to cause!!
    To be able to play this on BB10???

Now everyone that jumped ship because of the gaming issue will hound the OP mercilessly to fix other games and a new interest in BB10
    will rush in out of nowhere and well, I'm just mentioning this as a heads up so you can prepare complaints and issues in advance and well,
    there's always been one constant throughout life here in Disney Land. Strange things happen!!
    01-02-17 11:01 PM
    [snip- double post]

Mods- if you can see this, this post isn't visible when I'm logged out. I've moved the actual content to the post below.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01-04-17 at 01:59 PM.
    01-03-17 02:48 PM
    Thanks for your support, everyone! It's good to know there are still people around to enjoy it in 2017

Mine just frezzes on the start screen. Not responsive to anything, even reinstalling
    Have you tried waiting on the start screen for a bit? I probably should have mentioned (will add to the OP): The app has to extract some core RetroArch files from the package to a writable directory the first time you run it due to the way BB10 handles its internal folder structure. It takes ~30s on my Passport SE, then boots to the GLUI menu with "Welcome to RetroArch!"

(Also, if that isn't the issue, what device and OS version are you running?)

I can't get it to recognize any of my roms. I navigate to their folders, and no file is found. These same roms are found and played through the previous BB10 version of RetroArch.

I'm using a Passport. Any ideas?
    Which core/s? Since they're from the previous release which circumvented RA's built-in file handling systems, I think some of them are missing the .info files needed for RetroArch to infer which file extensions they support. Should be fixable for the next release.

You do realize the controversy this is going to cause!!
    To be able to play this on BB10???

Now everyone that jumped ship because of the gaming issue will hound the OP mercilessly to fix other games and a new interest in BB10
    will rush in out of nowhere and well, I'm just mentioning this as a heads up so you can prepare complaints and issues in advance and well,
    there's always been one constant throughout life here in Disney Land. Strange things happen!!

what have i done
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01-04-17 at 02:00 PM.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    01-03-17 02:58 PM
    It still just freezes on the white screen with the options. I have waited and nothing. Deleting and reloading the bar doesn't work. Passport on the latest os

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    01-05-17 08:15 PM
    OMG thank you very much! I've been waiting for this for a long time (for someone to work on it, I was doing some research and found they have some cores but I have no idea of how to compile them.

Anyways thanks for the great work! And keep it up!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    01-05-17 11:17 PM
    First of all, Thank you very much for this, indeed I've been stuck on custom build of retro arch which was built in 2014, which for the most part treated me well.

I've just tried out your build ( RetroArch 1.3.6.1 (ES2), blackberry Q10, 10.3.3 ), and it just crashes after splash screen. First time i installed it it stuck on splash screen for quite some time and then just crashed. After phone reboot it crashes instantly on splash screen. Do you have any idea why that is? Thank you.
    01-06-17 09:34 AM
    Alright, I got my hands on a Q10 today, so the first update is now available in the OP. This one fixes the ES2 build (which I'd broken at some point prior to the initial relase- my bad!) and has working keymapping for the 0, sym and currency keys.

It still just freezes on the white screen with the options. I have waited and nothing. Deleting and reloading the bar doesn't work. Passport on the latest os
    Hmm, the fact that you can make it to the menu means that the initial setup and graphics drivers are working. Do you have the old Cascades version installed? If so that may be causing a conflict, and should be removed.

Regardless of that, you should try uninstalling, deleting misc/retroarch from your internal storage, rebooting, then installing the latest ES3 build from the OP. If that doesn't work then I'll have to look into putting together a debug build with file logging so we can figure out what's going on.

OMG thank you very much! I've been waiting for this for a long time (for someone to work on it, I was doing some research and found they have some cores but I have no idea of how to compile them.

Anyways thanks for the great work! And keep it up!
    Thanks! Now that we have the latest version of the frontend in a working state, the way should be open for getting more cores up and running. That said, I can't any promises for the time being as I want to stay focused on RetroArch itself until it's polished up.

I am however talking to one of the Team Libretro devs on reddit, and will be trying to get it working with their buildbot so official releases can resume. With any luck that'll mean better support for the platform in general!

First of all, Thank you very much for this, indeed I've been stuck on custom build of retro arch which was built in 2014, which for the most part treated me well.

I've just tried out your build ( RetroArch 1.3.6.1 (ES2), blackberry Q10, 10.3.3 ), and it just crashes after splash screen. First time i installed it it stuck on splash screen for quite some time and then just crashed. After phone reboot it crashes instantly on splash screen. Do you have any idea why that is? Thank you.
    That would be because I screwed up the initial ES2 build, the latest version (available in the OP) should fix the issue. Let me know how you get on!
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01-07-17 at 12:32 PM.
    01-07-17 11:50 AM
    Heya, just've tried it, still crashes on startup, removed RetroArch I've already had installed, removed everything in "Device" section related to retroarch in file manager, installed new version, reboot, crash

EDIT : By the way, do you think if it is possible to port Nintendo DS core? I've tried to use DraStic ( paid ) via android "emulation" and i get nothing but white screens, which is a real shame.
    01-07-17 12:49 PM
    I'm gonna test it on the Classic NOW, by the way it doest detect my .nes roms on Passport, any reason?

EDIT: ES2 doesn't work at all, wont even open on Classic. Neither does the ES3
    Last edited by Davis Rayler; 01-07-17 at 01:22 PM.
    01-07-17 01:10 PM
    Heya, just've tried it, still crashes on startup, removed RetroArch I've already had installed, removed everything in "Device" section related to retroarch in file manager, installed new version, reboot, crash
    I'm gonna test it on the Classic NOW, by the way it doest detect my .nes roms on Passport, any reason?

EDIT: ES2 doesn't work at all, wont even open on Classic. Neither does the ES3
    Ah blast it, looks like the debug build I tested on was fine, but the release version wasn't. I'm investigating it now, should hopefully have another build up soon.

EDIT : By the way, do you think if it is possible to port Nintendo DS core? I've tried to use DraStic ( paid ) via android "emulation" and i get nothing but white screens, which is a real shame.
    I've not looked at any of the code for the cores yet, but it should definitely be possible. Just needs someone to get it compiled for BB10.

As I've mentioned previously, I can't make any promises on that front at the moment. Perhaps down the line when I've got it working with the official buildbot.
    01-07-17 02:34 PM
    I mean it works on the Passport! Gonna test on the Z30 later

Posted via CB10
    01-07-17 02:43 PM
    Okay, found the problem. Lingering config issues, I've fixed it and updated the OP.

by the way it doest detect my .nes roms on Passport, any reason?
    I forgot to answer this- I'm still looking into it, fairly certain it's to do with the file extension filtering in RetroArch's file browser. For now the best thing I can recommend is downloading a different NES core via the built-in content updater and seeing if that will work properly.

Oh yes, and make sure to let me know if the trackpad and navigation keys on the Classic work properly! I'm pretty eager to get that functionality nailed down. Z30 testing interests me also- I'm curious how it fares usability-wise on an all-touch device given that RetroArch doesn't handle screen rotation in a very 'app-like' way.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 01-07-17 at 03:22 PM.
    01-07-17 03:12 PM
    Thank you so much! It works now, just tired to load PS1 game ( Chrono Cross ) and it works great so far, even loaded my old savestate, I'll play around with the settings and cores, rom's. I've also check it out with my XInput controller ( Gamesir G4S ). Thank you again c:
    01-07-17 03:39 PM
    Time for yet another update- libretrodb and retroachievements support is in. Builds in the OP, as usual.
    moosbb and Gunship Mark II like this.
    01-07-17 05:39 PM
    Time for yet another update- libretrodb and retroachievements support is in. Builds in the OP, as usual.
    Thanks a lot for the hard work! You should create a post on GBATemp!

Posted via CB10
    01-07-17 06:04 PM
    Well many many issues with the Classic:

The touchscreen doesn't respond very well it's like the program doesn't fit or something, the back key minimizes the emulator instead of going back while on the menu... the trackpad is useless, won't work at all.

General issue, while playing Super Mario Bros it won't recognized 3 keys pressed at the same time, I managed to fix this by changing the letters but... for some reason "A" and "S" won't work while pressed with other 2 keys at the same time.

I'll report back with more for the Z30 (at the moment it's the same you can't press 3 keys at the same time).

Posted via CB10
    01-08-17 08:11 PM
102 123 ...