if one was offered to you?
    05-18-12 02:46 PM
    depending on the price, yes
    05-18-12 03:05 PM
    I wouldn't pay more than $299 for one...seeing as it is only a PlayBook in a smaller form factor.
    05-18-12 03:07 PM
    If the price was right, and with the promise from RIM to upgrade it to a limited edition premium BB10 device on launch... definitely!
    05-18-12 03:30 PM
    If the price was right, and with the promise from RIM to upgrade it to a limited edition premium BB10 device on launch... definitely!
    I would think only the original registrant would be eligible for the upgrade, especially since we signed an agreement not to sell this thing.
    peter9477, Superfly_FR and DocDRM like this.
    05-18-12 03:34 PM
    I'd buy one definitely.
    05-18-12 03:40 PM
    I would think only the original registrant would be eligible for the upgrade, especially since we signed an agreement not to sell this thing.
    I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info... that would be a no then.
    05-18-12 03:49 PM
    I'd test one.

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-18-12 03:50 PM
    I wouldn't pay more than $299 for one...seeing as it is only a PlayBook in a smaller form factor.
    ya but it has radio bands so you can use real phone functions with it.
    05-18-12 04:25 PM
    i wouldnt pay no more than a 16g playbook is worth seeing how its essentially the same thing but only smaller but..yes
    05-18-12 04:48 PM
    you bet i would. I dont think i am going to get to any of the BB Jam Road sessions so only way to grab one would be third party sale basically
    05-18-12 04:53 PM
    I think it is illegal to sell one at the first place. So, if RIM find out you got it from a someone other than RIM, they may block you from using the phone all together. So, no even for $100, but yes if it is free.
    05-18-12 05:35 PM
    Yes I would..........
    05-18-12 06:48 PM
    Also possible that at some point in the future, maybe not too long after the BB10 phones are released, they could simply stop supporting it. No more updates. Could disable App World access too. It's not like they don't have serial numbers, PINs, and device ids that would let them do that either to an individual one, or all of them.

Anyway, if you buy one, keep in mind that the person selling it to you probably doesn't have the right to do so... it's probably still owned by RIM, so I don't know where that puts a purchaser (purchasing stolen goods?) but I wouldn't put down much money for one myself. (Of course, I have one, so it's not an issue for me...)

By the way, at the bottom of the included pamphlet, which I assume summarizes in crudely concise form the agreement we all signed when we got them: This device is an evaluation unit for your personal use and is not transferable. This device is a prototype. Use of this device is subject to additional terms and conditions provided by Research In Motion Limited.
    05-18-12 07:55 PM
    From RIM? Yes, mostly for nostalgic reasons at this point (not that the thing isn't freakin awesome) - I'd love to have a permanent part of RIM BB10 history (not as much as I want the limited edition BB10 phone tho ).
    ayekon likes this.
    05-18-12 07:55 PM
    i wouldnt pay no more than a 16g playbook is worth seeing how its essentially the same thing but only smaller but..yes
    Not really true. It is better than a PlayBook in many ways. First it can make and get phone calls. The Android app player functions so much better. It actually works like we wanted Android app player to work. The Browser never ever crashes or starts acting weird to the point where you have to reboot. The screen has no visible pixels. PlayBook has an amazing screen. But you can see the pixels. Dev Alpha you can try as hard as you want and you won't see any squares. The multitasking is way better on the dev alpha also. I won't say how I know this (considering we should only have a camera and a browser right now) but let's just say the dev alpha can run way more apps at once with no lag than my PlayBook ever dreamt of doing.

The only things the PlayBook has over this device is better battery life and app world works. Otherwise there honestly is no contest.
    05-18-12 09:16 PM
    Also possible that at some point in the future, maybe not too long after the BB10 phones are released, they could simply stop supporting it. No more updates. Could disable App World access too. It's not like they don't have serial numbers, PINs, and device ids that would let them do that either to an individual one, or all of them.

Anyway, if you buy one, keep in mind that the person selling it to you probably doesn't have the right to do so... it's probably still owned by RIM, so I don't know where that puts a purchaser (purchasing stolen goods?) but I wouldn't put down much money for one myself. (Of course, I have one, so it's not an issue for me...)

By the way, at the bottom of the included pamphlet, which I assume summarizes in crudely concise form the agreement we all signed when we got them: This device is an evaluation unit for your personal use and is not transferable. This device is a prototype. Use of this device is subject to additional terms and conditions provided by Research In Motion Limited.
    Wouldn't they need to give the Dev Alpha access to App World before they could disable it? Lol

Which pamphlet did you get with the Dev Alpha that says that? Or did you just guesstimate it? I went over all of my documentation and I can't find anything that says any of what you posted.

I mean none of my documents really calls the device a prototype. Only once is it called a prototype, but it is called "Alpha Product" like a hundred times and the wording of what you posted is completely off from what I have. Just curious if you got something I didn't get.
    Last edited by berryboba; 05-18-12 at 11:25 PM.
    05-18-12 09:32 PM
    Without a doubt. i would definatly buy it at the right price though. i want to get my hands on this phone so bad but it is impossible since i'm not a developer.
    05-18-12 11:19 PM
    Without a doubt. i would definatly buy it at the right price though. i want to get my hands on this phone so bad but it is impossible since i'm not a developer.
    Maybe we can work out a rental rate... $10 per minute with the phone? LOL
    05-19-12 12:51 AM
    Wouldn't they need to give the Dev Alpha access to App World before they could disable it? Lol

Which pamphlet did you get with the Dev Alpha that says that? Or did you just guesstimate it? I went over all of my documentation and I can't find anything that says any of what you posted.
    Good point on App World ;-). Makes it even more useless to most of the people who might be interested in buying it.

The pamphlet is just in my box, along with the sleeve for the SIM carrier, the Safety and Product Info, and the plastic bag with the USB cable. Under the little "shelf" that the Alpha was sitting on top of when you got it.

It's the fold-out pamphlet thing with the greeting from Alec Saunders and Chris Smith on it, which says "The Internet is changing... are you ready?" in the title area. Text I quoted is below the diagram showing all the interesting parts of the Alpha.
    05-19-12 09:21 AM

It's the fold-out pamphlet thing with the greeting from Alec Saunders and Chris Smith on it, which says "The Internet is changing... are you ready?" in the title area. Text I quoted is below the diagram showing all the interesting parts of the Alpha.
    Nope. Lol they forgot to put that one in my box. The only paper that was in the box with mine was the real small single sheet of paper that wasn't at all folded and the saftey and product information booklet. Bummer lol

I definetly don't have anything with a greeting from Mr. Saunders or the "Internet is changing" on it. That is kind of disappointing.

May I ask which serial number you have? I got a O702 for the first 4.
    05-19-12 09:48 AM
    May I ask which serial number you have? I got a O702 for the first 4.
    LOL, I was confused by "for the first 4", thinking somehow you'd snagged four Alphas!

Mine's an 0701... I know two others with 0702 as well.
    05-19-12 11:05 AM
    LOL, I was confused by "for the first 4", thinking somehow you'd snagged four Alphas!

Mine's an 0701... I know two others with 0702 as well.
    Lol no, I wish I had four of them just laying around. Then I'd try to figure out a way to keep one of them and return the others. For the limited bb10 device. I wonder what will happen to the Dev Alpha after everyone sends them back. Most will probably be destroyed.

Did the two you know of with 0702 get the same pamphlet? Lol I am a sentimental fool and it shouldn't matter, but I am a tiny bit disappointed I didn't get it. Things like that would be a piece of the Dev Alpha I would be able to keep after we return them.
    Last edited by berryboba; 05-19-12 at 11:59 AM.
    05-19-12 11:55 AM
    Nope. I'll rather wait for the final version.
    05-20-12 09:44 AM
    Besides this pamphlet, there was an agreement that each of us had to accept BEFORE we received the device. Did anyone bother reading that agreement in its entirety? I just simply pressed accept after reading the first paragraph. Now thinking about it, I should have read it more carefully. I'm sure it contains clauses preventing transferring/reselling/leaving it behind in a cafe.
    05-21-12 05:01 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD