BB offered dev alpha devices for developing apps, got some.
    Offered 12000 LE devices for at least one app, got some.
    Offered 10K for Built for BB apps, got some.
    Offered money per app in several port-a-thons, got thousands of them.
    Then released Z10 with more than 75000 apps.
    And then it's over.
    Is there any continuous process to keep devs building new ones while improving the quality of the existing ones?
    How many of the current >100000 apps are exactly usable?
    Was BB's target to debut with a large number of apps only? not to engage devs? Not to create a running ecosystem?
    Man, what the heck is wrong with BlackBerry?! They should totally give you cash and devices aside from the money you already get from your app's sales.
    04-29-13 06:18 PM
    Remote control apps.
    With 10.1 remote integration with Link the next generation of mobile computing should be about Remote apps that do processing remotely on my PC.

Say, I need to compress a video that is sitting on my computer, I have a remote app and a real program to do the job on my PC, I set the parameters on the remote app it connects to the PC through Link and executes the process.. Once the video is done, I can access it from my Z10...

Posted via CB10
    DocDRM likes this.
    04-29-13 06:27 PM
    Great
    What's next for devs?-devc.png
    04-29-13 06:55 PM
    Man, what the heck is wrong with BlackBerry?! They should totally give you cash and devices aside from the money you already get from your app's sales.
    Man, before being sarcastic (and silly) you should have read the last 3 lines of my post where i have emphasized on "ENGAGING" devs, "IMPROVING" quality of the apps, and creating a running "ECOSYSTEM".

Let me tell you in this way, Microsoft has been bribing the big names in app stores to build apps for their WP OS for long time. And I am not even counting Nokia as one among them. Still WP is in the same garbage they have been for years (in terms of mobile OS).

As it is certain, BB wouldn't even dream of launching BB10 with 75000 apps if they didn't distribute dev alpha devices, 10k offers and port-a-thons. However, only incentives to build anything in the name of apps is not enough to to carry on for long term, is it?

I am not asking for incentives for crappy apps. Rather asking for a eco system we devs will feel confident to build apps for. Where after reading news about not-so-satisfactory sales of BB10 devices, we don't need to think everyday if the investment of our time is worth it.

I feel, apart from sending incentives and LE devices, BB has been relatively quiet about encouraging devs in last 3 months. Why not keep the motion that they have already set before launch? I personally suggest-

# Port-a-thon like event to build native and creative apps by setting more conditions but greater prize offer.
    # App development competition with different themes each month.
    # Targeting specific problems and how to solve using BB10 apps. More creative apps will come out of this, instead of copy-n-paste apps from android/iOS.
    # BB has already got enough of ported android apps which don't have the same look and feel as BB10. Lot of users are annoyed by this (go through the forums to see). So, why not encourage native apps? or ported apps with native look-n-feel?
    Last edited by morison20; 04-29-13 at 11:19 PM.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    04-29-13 09:24 PM
    I'd love it if they offer a trade in program for the Dev Alpha C, but I'm not expecting it. Heck, I'd be happy if they just let us keep the DAC. Retail pricing for Q10 is a little too high to pay for a device that would primarily be used for application development. Especially when you develop mostly for fun like I do.

As an example, my Nexus 4 is used as my main phone, but it is also my testing device for my Android applications. It cost $300 without a contract. The Q10 will probably cost twice that and might force me to give up on developing for the QWERTY devices once BlackBerry asks for their DAC back.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Promise I'm not trying to call you out, but make an app that's good enough to sell for 1.99, and good enough that at least 400 people buy it, and your Q10 is paid for.

Make it so good and fill a need that exists, or create a need, and keep the app updated and be responsive like so many devs are here on CrackBerry, and I'd bet you'll make even more for your time invested, then move into profitability. I imagine, like any other worthwhile endeavor, dev's success takes a dream, some sweat, some sacrifice, and maybe even a little luck.

Ask our fellow member, was it KermEd? Made a little app because somebody here posted a need for a map of the ports in the dark, and it has turned into a top app in a couple of weeks, and although it's free, he has updated it two or three times based on CrackBerry user input. I'd GLADLY pay .99 or even 1.99 for Night Ports. Best flashlight there is!

Promise, I've bought apps I don't want or need solely based on dev's presence and willingness to help and respond here on CrackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 10:49 PM
    Man, before being sarcastic (and silly) you should have read the last 3 lines of my post where i have emphasized on "ENGAGING" devs, "IMPROVING" quality of the apps, and creating a running "ECOSYSTEM".

Let me tell you in this way, Microsoft has been bribing the big names in app stores to build apps for their WP OS for long time. And I am not even counting Nokia as one among them. Still WP is in the same garbage they have been for years (in terms of mobile OS).

As it is certain, BB wouldn't even dream of launching BB10 with 75000 apps if they didn't distribute dev alpha devices, 10k offers and port-a-thons. However, only incentives to build anything in the name of apps is not enough to to carry on for long term, is it?

I am not asking for incentives for crappy apps. Rather asking for a eco system we devs will feel confident to build apps for. Where after reading news about not-so-satisfactory sales of BB10 devices, we don't need to think everyday if the investment of our time is worth it.

I feel, apart from sending incentives and LE devices, BB has been relatively quiet about encouraging devs in last 3 months. Why not keep the motion that they have already set before launch? I personally suggest-

# Port-a-thon like event to build native and creative apps by setting more conditions but greater prize offer.
    # App development competition with different themes each month.
    # Targeting specific problems and how to solve using BB10 apps. More creative apps will come out of this, instead of copy-n-paste apps from android/iOS.
    # BB has already got enough of ported android apps which don't have the same look and feel as BB10. Lot of users are annoyed by this (go through the forums to see). So, why not encourage native apps? or ported apps with native look-n-feel?

I stand still, yo guys Want everything on a silver platter.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    04-30-13 06:13 AM
31 12