The recent CB poll numbers indicate that more than half voted they continue to use a non-android vintage BlackBerry device... even after more than 2 years since the introduction of the Passport SE.

Do you think that BlackBerry would be willing to support the new and updated OS requirements of these new devices?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TheGraduate; 10-12-17 at 11:31 PM.
    10-12-17 04:45 PM
    no no no....its a dead end.
    10-12-17 04:51 PM
    TCL communications isn’t doing very well right now. I doubt they would sink money into a lost cause. Neither will BB, Ltd.
    10-12-17 05:07 PM
    Even if BlackBerry Limited or BlackBerry Mobile had the resources of Apple, Google or Microsoft they wouldn't and shouldn't do it.
    stayer likes this.
    10-12-17 06:11 PM
    It would be lovely if some company could produce more BB10 and BBOS devices
    ezubeBB2013 likes this.
    10-26-17 02:49 PM
    The recent CB poll numbers indicate that more than half voted they continue to use a non-android vintage BlackBerry device... even after more than 2 years since the introduction of the Passport SE.

Do you think that BlackBerry would be willing to support the new and updated OS requirements of these new devices?

Posted via CB10
    Someone asked for Crackberry to comment on the fact that so many people are still using phones running BB10 or older but I don't think they did! I think they were surprised themselves. Now I see they've organised more Meetups probably in the hope that they can convince people to jump to android f2f!

I'd love for someone with the funds to manufacture BB10 devices but it won't happen.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-26-17 03:53 PM
    Someone asked for Crackberry to comment on the fact that so many people are still using phones running BB10 or older but I don't think they did! I think they were surprised themselves. Now I see they've organised more Meetups probably in the hope that they can convince people to jump to android f2f!

I'd love for someone with the funds to manufacture BB10 devices but it won't happen.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    That's because NOBODY has enough money and resources to make BB10 profitable. Even Microsoft knows a third OS is a lost cause at this point.
    10-26-17 03:57 PM
    That's because NOBODY has enough money and resources to make BB10 profitable. Even Microsoft knows a third OS is a lost cause at this point.
    Oddly enough Microsoft had a much bigger hill to climb than BlackBerry...they were/are polar opposites....Microsoft did/does not have a good reputation for security-reliability on the desktop (monolith kernel)....while BlackBerry has an excellent reputation for security-reliability...RTOS microkernel QNX and other goodies......of course Microsoft would have had to throw much more money at it to stick to the wall, than BlackBerry would have had to. Microsoft goes big or goes home. BlackBerry never had that problem....they just grossly overestimated demand and or poorly executed marketing at launch of bb10 (though apps gap didn't help the upside) which ran them into a lot of problems.
    11-11-17 12:43 AM
    Oddly enough Microsoft had a much bigger hill to climb than BlackBerry...they were/are polar opposites....Microsoft did/does not have a good reputation for security-reliability on the desktop (monolith kernel)....while BlackBerry has an excellent reputation for security-reliability...RTOS microkernel QNX and other goodies......of course Microsoft would have had to throw much more money at it to stick to the wall, than BlackBerry would have had to. Microsoft goes big or goes home. BlackBerry never had that problem....they just grossly overestimated demand and or poorly executed marketing at launch of bb10 (though apps gap didn't help the upside), and some not quite ready for prime time aspects to an otherwise excellent OS, which ran them into a lot of problems.
    11-11-17 12:46 AM
    In the computer world a Windows OS is more dominant, in the mobile device an Android OS is more dominant. So I don't think TCL will make a BB10 OS device, its suicide. Honestly I like BB10 OS than Android OS or iOS but "no one" supporting BB10 OS now. Windows and Android become dominant because of a lot of supporter. Now I have to follow the flow with less flaws.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-17 08:23 AM
    I guess the topic here is kinda moot now.
    12-17-17 08:35 AM
    Why doesn't CB send a letter to Chen with the poll #'s ? Not that it will make a difference at this point, but maybe instead of "at least 2 years" he might consider 4 or 5? For those who use BB10 exclusively for email, and simply doesn't support an Android product, maybe we can gain more time? Whatever CB can do to communicate the $1.5 million + users would be appreciated.
    Bbnivende and KellyM4 like this.
    12-17-17 08:36 AM
    The BlackBerry community is so small that they are fortunate that there still is a manufacturer willing to make a PKB. TCL made a poor bargain though. Their licensing costs appear to add too much overhead hence the new BlackBerry devices are too expensive.

I have both an iPhone and a Samsung and frankly, a phone operating system is just a way of launching apps. I find iOS to be more like BB10 than Android as it is locked down and fully integrated.
    12-17-17 08:42 AM
    Why doesn't CB send a letter to Chen with the poll #'s ? Not that it will make a difference at this point, but maybe instead of "at least 2 years" he might consider 4 or 5? For those who use BB10 exclusively for email, and simply doesn't support an Android product, maybe we can gain more time? Whatever CB can do to communicate the $1.5 million + users would be appreciated.
    And how would blackberry make money if they do this?
    12-17-17 10:57 AM
    I'm glad you asked that question. I would bet that the majority of loyal BlackBerry BB10 users would pay a monthly fee to continue using the OS. I'm not sure why they wouldn't consider it? It would be profitable and successful!
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-17-17 08:18 PM
    The BlackBerry community is so small that they are fortunate that there still is a manufacturer willing to make a PKB. TCL made a poor bargain though. Their licensing costs appear to add too much overhead hence the new BlackBerry devices are too expensive.

I have both an iPhone and a Samsung and frankly, a phone operating system is just a way of launching apps. I find iOS to be more like BB10 than Android as it is locked down and fully integrated.
    Well, if BlackBerry / TCL see sales now then every deal can be renegotiated if the new terms make sense for both parties.

There will be plenty of data to analyze in even one year from now; as it seems now, it looks like this relationship will grow and we will see more devices.

I can't see any business that will turn down profit and potential so the proof will be in the numbers very soon!
    12-17-17 08:39 PM
    I'm glad you asked that question. I would bet that the majority of loyal BlackBerry BB10 users would pay a monthly fee to continue using the OS. I'm not sure why they wouldn't consider it? It would be profitable and successful!
    You would need 100,000 people willing to pay $3,000 to $5,000 a year to keep an OS a going concern.
    12-17-17 08:41 PM
    Consider this....we may not even have future afterall...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/413...ry-smartphones
    12-17-17 09:08 PM
    Consider this....we may not even have future afterall...

https://seekingalpha.com/article/413...ry-smartphones
    This illustrates why going Android always was a dumb decision for Blackberry.
    12-17-17 09:32 PM
    This illustrates why going Android always was a dumb decision for Blackberry.
    You mean they should have just left after burning through BB10 commitments? BlackBerry Licensing put some free money back in their pocket as they were unloading assets that were no longer necessary.
    12-17-17 09:36 PM
    You mean they should have just left after burning through BB10 commitments? BlackBerry Licensing put some free money back in their pocket as they were unloading assets that were no longer necessary.
    I think the whole Android exercise, starting with the Provide, was a waste. They should have either a.) held fast to Blackberry 10, marketing and waiting for a device niche and privacy backlash to develop, or b.) gotten out of the device business entirely, without the time-and-money-wasting Android flirtation.

I agree licensing the name to TCL has brought them some money, but I wonder how that balances against the cost of developing "secure" Android devices that haven't sold well.

I don't have a stake in this anymore; Insold my Blackberry stock long ago. I've also retired my Passport and moved on to an LG V20. Oh, what could have been; oh, how clunky Android is... >sigh<
    12-17-17 09:46 PM
    I meant, "Priv," of course.
    I think the whole Android exercise, starting with the Provide, was a waste. They should have either a.) held fast to Blackberry 10, marketing and waiting for a device niche and privacy backlash to develop, or b.) gotten out of the device business entirely, without the time-and-money-wasting Android flirtation.

I agree licensing the name to TCL has brought them some money, but I wonder how that balances against the cost of developing "secure" Android devices that haven't sold well.

I don't have a stake in this anymore; Insold my Blackberry stock long ago. I've also retired my Passport and moved on to an LG V20. Oh, what could have been; oh, how clunky Android is... >sigh<
    12-17-17 09:47 PM
    I meant, "Priv," of course.
    Android was a necessary expense to keep BlackBerry relevant as they finished dumping BB10. There was / is no scenario that kept BB10 after it almost killed the entire company. Even the founders of BlackBerry didn't want BB10 or the company anymore.

BlackBerry spent very little on Android compared to what it got as overall company. It allowed shareholders and more importantly vendors to keep faith in the entire corporation while they've slowly expanded the remaining business. Android bought confidence and time, simply put.
    12-17-17 09:57 PM
    I personally believe with the strong BB10 loyalty individuals would pay $50.00 a month to $75 a month and there would be 500,000 subscribers. Maybe more..
    12-17-17 10:05 PM
    Android was a necessary expense to keep BlackBerry relevant as they finished dumping BB10. There was / is no scenario that kept BB10 after it almost killed the entire company. Even the founders of BlackBerry didn't want BB10 or the company anymore.

BlackBerry spent very little on Android compared to what it got as overall company. It allowed shareholders and more importantly vendors to keep faith in the entire corporation while they've slowly expanded the remaining business. Android bought confidence and time, simply put.
    What you wrote may be exactly what Chen, et al, were thinking. I claim no special insight; the Android nonsense is just not how I would have played it. All in or all out, say I.

I get your point about Blackberry 10, too, although -- as has been pointed too many times to count -- it seems smart marketing (or _some_ marketing) could have gone a long way with such a superior product.

To sum up, I'm not surprised to see the Blandroid Gambit isn't working out for TCL, either.
    12-17-17 10:05 PM
86 123 ...