I keep coming back to this thread to see this discussion still raging.

All I can think is: who cares? Is it really important whether or not it has one, two, or no microphones? They'll be dead pieces of plastic and metal and glass in a few weeks anyway. Let's move on please.
    probably. i hear we're getting the final devices sometime during the first week of feb, but they didnt mention anything about returning the dev's (other than the couple we signed up to be traded in). but im waiting to see if this build (which apparently is the same as the staff over at RIM are using) will expire or not. they havent said anything to us about that.
    01-16-13 06:15 PM
    I keep coming back to this thread to see this discussion still raging.

All I can think is: who cares? Is it really important whether or not it has one, two, or no microphones? They'll be dead pieces of plastic and metal and glass in a few weeks anyway. Let's move on please.
    All I can think of is: how can such an image be successfully loaded onto the Dev Alpha if you can't even downgrade to an official Dev Alpha release?
    01-17-13 12:16 AM
    All I can think of is: how can such an image be successfully loaded onto the Dev Alpha if you can't even downgrade to an official Dev Alpha release?
    You just need an internal build that's newer than the public build you have installed. Downgrading isn't possible, but if it's newer an upgrade is very much possible.

@BBThemes
    The guy is right, it's possible, I've seen it too. But I don't think any of my friends at RIM would appreciate me taking a pic of their still-secret software and posting it on the internet. That's why you haven't seen pictures.
    01-17-13 12:52 AM
    probably. i hear we're getting the final devices sometime during the first week of feb, but they didnt mention anything about returning the dev's (other than the couple we signed up to be traded in). but im waiting to see if this build (which apparently is the same as the staff over at RIM are using) will expire or not. they havent said anything to us about that.
    It's not exactly the same build. We have 2320, they have 2318. (Edit: of course, they now have versions well beyond that, but that's not my point.)

Also they have said the things will brick in due course... it's written right into the Terms and Conditions, as I recall. (Though having read about 7 such documents in the last week I'm losing track of which thing I saw where...)
    01-17-13 07:43 AM
    You just need an internal build that's newer than the public build you have installed. Downgrading isn't possible, but if it's newer an upgrade is very much possible.

@BBThemes
    The guy is right, it's possible, I've seen it too. But I don't think any of my friends at RIM would appreciate me taking a pic of their still-secret software and posting it on the internet. That's why you haven't seen pictures.
    we`ve all seen the video fo a Z10 making and recieving a phone call. `still secret` it most definitley isnt lol.
    01-17-13 12:53 PM
    we`ve all seen the video fo a Z10 making and recieving a phone call. `still secret` it most definitley isnt lol.
    Regardless of how leaked it is doesn't mean RIM permits more leaks, anyone who let me take a pic would be risking their job. The leaks have all been from carrier partners, not from RIM. Carrier partners never got Dev Alpha As to evaluate because it was cancelled as a release phone before ever getting to the stage.
    01-17-13 02:07 PM
    Isn't the Dev Alpha A originally the canceled Colt?
    01-17-13 08:22 PM
    Isn't the Dev Alpha A originally the canceled Colt?
    it is, thats why the exterior is a lot more polished than the dev alpha B. which is why (aside from the fact i personally have used it to make calls) its ludicrous that a certain person is insisting it has no mic for phone calls.
    01-18-13 04:59 AM
    Please stop this fight about microphones. It's included in both Dev Alpha devices. One question, how to obtain internal fw for Dev Alpha that enables calling functionality ? It's damn difficult to test an app on limited hardware.
    01-18-13 06:17 AM
    Please stop this fight about microphones. It's included in both Dev Alpha devices. One question, how to obtain internal fw for Dev Alpha that enables calling functionality ? It's damn difficult to test an app on limited hardware.
    Agree. But providing you would actually get it somehow I would not expect you could load it onto the device. RIM did a pretty good job in locking the device down with the last updates.
    01-18-13 08:36 AM
    Agree. But providing you would actually get it somehow I would not expect you could load it onto the device. RIM did a pretty good job in locking the device down with the last updates.
    RIM clearly has builds that are fully featured that work on the Dev B, as they have shown it off many times publicly.
    01-18-13 08:58 AM
    RIM clearly has builds that are fully featured that work on the Dev B, as they have shown it off many times publicly.
    Clearly that is the case. However those are typically devices of employees that have officially received those builds. I doubt that we can load a leaked image to our devices.
    Last edited by The_Imperator; 01-18-13 at 11:29 AM.
    01-18-13 11:18 AM
    Clearly that is the case. However those are typically devices of employees that have officially received those builds. I doubt that we can load a leaked image to our devices.
    In theory, if you got the debrick or autoloader image it could be done no issue. Same way that RIM released the autoloader tool before. just a different OS with it.
    01-18-13 12:05 PM
    Even debrick images or something like PIN registration like pb beta fw.
    01-18-13 12:15 PM
    In theory, if you got the debrick or autoloader image it could be done no issue. Same way that RIM released the autoloader tool before. just a different OS with it.
    That's the theory. In reality RIM has mechanisms to ensure you don't load images that are not intended for your device. E.g. Try installing a previous dev alpha build using the autolader. The device has a downgrade blocking mechanism and will prevent you from doing that.
    01-18-13 06:46 PM
    That's the theory. In reality RIM has mechanisms to ensure you don't load images that are not intended for your device. E.g. Try installing a previous dev alpha build using the autolader. The device has a downgrade blocking mechanism and will prevent you from doing that.
    I can tell you for a fact the dev B auto loader works for dev a and that it works for calls. That clear it up for everyone lol
    01-19-13 08:00 AM
    I can tell you for a fact the dev B auto loader works for dev a and that it works for calls. That clear it up for everyone lol
    I'm sure it can be done with RIM internal tools, but I doubt these tools are available outside. I'm not saying its completely impossible, but that RIM has been doing a fairly good job in preventing uncontrolled distribution of restricted software images. I know image files have leaked, but so far I have not heared of anyone that managed to load them on a dev alpha device without RIMs help.
    01-20-13 09:58 AM
    I'm sure it can be done with RIM internal tools, but I doubt these tools are available outside. I'm not saying its completely impossible, but that RIM has been doing a fairly good job in preventing uncontrolled distribution of restricted software images. I know image files have leaked, but so far I have not heared of anyone that managed to load them on a dev alpha device without RIMs help.
    You are very correct, RIM has done an EXCELLENT job keeping these files under wraps. And they will continue to do so I am sure. The 30th is only 10 days away, and things will get very interesting then.
    01-20-13 10:07 AM
    You are very correct, RIM has done an EXCELLENT job keeping these files under wraps. And they will continue to do so I am sure. The 30th is only 10 days away, and things will get very interesting then.
    Rumour has it, that there will be another update for Dev Alphas ahead of the launch. However I hope very strong that they where able to keep some secrets and will not only be able to show a brilliant OS, but also reveal some real surprises!
    01-20-13 11:30 AM
    Rumour has it, that there will be another update for Dev Alphas ahead of the launch. However I hope very strong that they where able to keep some secrets and will not only be able to show a brilliant OS, but also reveal some real surprises!
    Every build RIM has released to those that can test, has secrets hidden. Also MANY of the apps are not present. The core OS is more or less there, but you cannot access everything.
    01-20-13 01:22 PM
    I can back up what Sith_Apprentice is sayin. I got three devices running BB10, and one of them in a Dev A. Theres a mic that works just peachy for calls.
    01-20-13 01:47 PM
    So to summarize - instead of teasing us about working "hidden" features, can you allows us to actually experience them ? Please
    01-20-13 01:59 PM
    So to summarize - instead of teasing us about working "hidden" features, can you allows us to actually experience them ? Please
    Well i dont have access to that, I have only witnessed it first hand. Trust me, I would love a fully working BB10 Dev device lol.
    01-20-13 02:25 PM
    This waiting is driving me insane 10 day till launch + 8 weeks for BB10 LE (~2 months) + 15 days (at least) for shipping, customs etc, so mid-April here we come
    01-20-13 03:03 PM
    This waiting is driving me insane 10 day till launch + 8 weeks for BB10 LE (~2 months) + 15 days (at least) for shipping, customs etc, so mid-April here we come
    But on the bright side, you get a limited edition BlackBerry device lol
    01-22-13 06:40 AM
502 12345 ...