To anyone who has a BB10 dev alpha device:

I'm new to the whole developing app business and I would like see someone test my first app!

You can download the .bar file from here.

If you could, please test the following:
    • How the text looks in relation to the actual device (too big or too small)
    • General smoothness and response of the app
    • If the app actually works (AMNZ. should produce NZAM.)
    • If you could copy/paste stuff into the textbox.
    • How easy is it to type into the textbox when the virual keyboard is up
    • Anything else you like/not like/would like to see added
    • You could also perform the same checks you perform for your apps!

Basically, let me know how bad/good it is...

Screenshots/camera pictures would be nice as well!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by DisturbedRocks31; 01-22-13 at 11:51 PM.
    01-02-13 12:08 AM

I'm new to the whole developing app business and I would like see someone test my first app!

Thanks in advance!
    Have you tried the BB10 simulators ? They are quite accurate and may answer many of your questions ... https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...tor/index.html
    Then, before requesting tests, you might explain what your app is supposed to do
    01-02-13 05:59 AM
    Hi,

Yeah I did use the simulator, but well, it's a simulator and it can't simulate the real deal!

The app itself is a ROT13 converter. Simply put, it takes the user input, and shifts all the letters by 13 forwards or backwards. (A becomes N, B becomes O, Z becomes A etc..)

It asks for "device identifying information" for ad serving purposes.
    Last edited by DisturbedRocks31; 01-02-13 at 12:15 PM.
    01-02-13 10:46 AM
    What is the black box from at the bottom of the screen, it is also at the top in the about screen? also the black box moves up with the keyboard.

You could have the convert at the top of the screen of move up when the keyboard is visible
    DisturbedRocks31 likes this.
    01-02-13 12:39 PM
    What is the black box from at the bottom of the screen, it is also at the top in the about screen? also the black box moves up with the keyboard.

You could have the convert at the top of the screen of move up when the keyboard is visible
    Oh that thing was suppose to be an ad but seeing how you said it's a black box, it means it's not working and I have no idea why the ads in cascades are so volatile in behaviour! It worked with the RIM zoneID, then I put my own, then it worked twice and now I can't deploy to the simulator... WTH.
    01-02-13 01:06 PM
    Alright, I've updated the app and try the newer version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97328044/ROT...or-1_0_5_1.bar

Thanks!
    Last edited by DisturbedRocks31; 01-03-13 at 01:50 AM.
    01-02-13 07:37 PM
    For the arrow to expand the text area, i think there is to many one should be good enough. you could also have it change from a down arrow to an up arrow when it is expanded, or you could just have it expanded always since there is nothing else under it. One more thing are you sure that you need the actions in the overflow since you already have the convert and clear on the screen?
    01-03-13 07:51 AM
    I don't really have the device and so I guessed that there will be people who will have trouble getting their hand across the screen to press the buttons. To make sure everyone can use it easily I put them in the the overflow!

How is the app's load time and general smoothness?!

And thanks a lot for testing it! Really appreciate it.
    01-03-13 11:34 AM
    Yes the app is smooth and not one bit of lag. I am assuming that its cascades not webworks with BBUI.js
    01-03-13 03:36 PM
    Yes the app is smooth and not one bit of lag. I am assuming that its cascades not webworks with BBUI.js
    Cool! Thanks!
    Yeah you're right, I'm using Cascades. Tried WebWorks for another app that I started on but found it too laggy. Pretty sure it was probably because of the way I wrote it.

Any other suggestions?!
    Last edited by DisturbedRocks31; 01-03-13 at 04:34 PM.
    01-03-13 04:00 PM
    You could add BBM so that you can send the converted string to a contact, so that its like sending an encrypted message.
    dietertong and bbquincar like this.
    01-04-13 07:50 AM
    Ooo cool idea actually. I'm gonna submit as is and I'll add that after I'm done this other app I'm working on!
    01-04-13 11:09 AM
    Ooo cool idea actually. I'm gonna submit as is and I'll add that after I'm done this other app I'm working on!
    You know there is a minimum sales amount for the 10k deal, right? Just saying, haha
    01-04-13 11:13 AM
    You know there is a minimum sales amount for the 10k deal, right? Just saying, haha
    I'm not doing this for money... just because I can.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-04-13 11:24 AM
    I'm not doing this for money... just because I can.
    That's what a developer should be like. Thanks a lot for all the works you are putting in. Keep them coming. Looking forward to using your apps on my new shiny bb10.
    01-07-13 09:37 AM
    That's what a developer should be like. Thanks a lot for all the works you are putting in. Keep them coming. Looking forward to using your apps on my new shiny bb10.
    I don't fully agree with you. The reason is because developers need to make money also. We can't spend all our time putting out free apps, would you expect to get a house for free, all the people that spent their time to build it for you. The reason I do is that some apps should be free for example app that have one function like .
    Last edited by big bb; 01-07-13 at 01:09 PM.
    dietertong likes this.
    01-07-13 11:37 AM
    Yeah, I used to think why should I pay for apps. Then I developed and realized that a lot of effort is required.

That been said, I see a lot of devs just pushing out $0.99 apps that don't deserve a single penny.

This app I've submitted to BBWorld for free but I'm also working on another app that will be a paid app.
    dietertong likes this.
    01-07-13 12:03 PM
    Yeah, I used to think why should I pay for apps. Then I developed and realized that a lot of effort is required.

That been said, I see a lot of devs just pushing out $0.99 apps that don't deserve a single penny.

This app I've submitted to BBWorld for free but I'm also working on another app that will be a paid app.
    Agreed some should be free.
    01-07-13 01:06 PM
    forgot to upload the screenshots I took
    Attached Thumbnails Please Test My App!-img_00000283.jpg   Please Test My App!-img_00000284.jpg   Please Test My App!-img_00000285.jpg   Please Test My App!-img_00000286.jpg  
    01-08-13 07:40 AM
    You could add BBM so that you can send the converted string to a contact, so that its like sending an encrypted message.
    I agree BBM share or invoke should be on every BlackBerry app lol
    01-09-13 01:36 PM
    I just found out today that there is a limit to the amount of app connected to BBM, not sure of the amount though, I am guessing no one will reach the limit.
    01-09-13 03:13 PM
    I feel this would require an actual BB10 device in my hand to ensure quality - so I'm gonna hold it off until I buy one of my own.
    01-09-13 08:20 PM

Thanks in advance!
    I have and please send your app to [email protected]

my website is www.hibbers.com
    01-09-13 09:03 PM
    I have a dev alpha, I can quickly throw it on and check it out.. The link at the top of the thread is dead though, you can either reply or send the .bar to "[email protected]" if you need more people to test it.
    01-22-13 11:37 PM