hey guys, I didn't get approved for the LE, however I have a dev alpha B running the leaked OS and was thinking about just keeping it forever? Can I do that?
    02-05-13 11:26 PM
    hey guys, I didn't get approved for the LE, however I have a dev alpha B running the leaked OS and was thinking about just keeping it forever? Can I do that?
    You could, but even if you somehow get an unexploded OS, they could potentially ban your BBM pin since they have records of that. Whether or not they do that remains to be seen.

To use that as a daily phone though would be just plain ugly.
    02-05-13 11:59 PM
    I'm sure you can, but you'll have to keep on running leaked OS updates then.
    Make sure you don't do any official updates because eventually the Dev Alphas will be bricked.

However the deadline to get an LE got extended didn't it? Are you sure you can't get one?
    02-06-13 12:00 AM
    I don't know.. it is Property of Research in Motion Limited...
    02-06-13 01:54 AM
    I was thinking exactly the same, keeping my Dev A too. I wasn't approved for the LE due to my apps being Web apps or android ports.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z10
    02-06-13 02:28 AM
    im getting an LE my cousin isn't he is gonna keep his one no matter what he aint gonna return and BBRY has not emailed people to return their devices they might let it go and just send a notice email saying we wouldnt provide the warranty and support for the phone means you can use the phone no repairs and software updates! So that means you own a BB10 for sure!
    02-06-13 04:33 AM
    I find it a little frustrating that so many non developers ended up with a Dev Alpha, I personally know 6 people that have a Dev Alpha, yet wouldn't be able to set up signing keys if their life depended on it and they had a YouTube video to guide them.

I also know a real developers that has over 30 decent quality apps available in BlackBerry world for BB10 with no Dev Alpha and no chance of getting a LE device.

If you can't qualify for the LE device, than you probably shouldn't of had a Dev Alpha in the first place. They made it so ridiculously easily to qualify, that I'm surprised anyone that can read instructions would be declined. If it was an app that wasnt a web launcher and wasn't a repackages Android app, you pretty much had it covered. I made 6 eligible apps, of which I submitted the worst one first. A app that literally took less than 30 minutes to make, qualified. A very simple webworks app that does less than a fart app, yet it still qualified. I never needed to resubmit my registration with a better app. Their standards are so low, that if it somewhat works and was packaged with the proper SDK, you're good to go. Its really not hard stuff.

Blah, I'm not meaning to attack any one here personally, just kinda frustrated that I know so many deserving developers that won't be getting a LE device. Simply because they couldn't get a Dev Alpha
    02-06-13 06:38 AM
    I find it a little frustrating that so many non developers ended up with a Dev Alpha, I personally know 6 people that have a Dev Alpha, yet wouldn't be able to set up signing keys if their life depended on it and they had a YouTube video to guide them.

I also know a real developers that has over 30 decent quality apps available in BlackBerry world for BB10 with no Dev Alpha and no chance of getting a LE device.

If you can't qualify for the LE device, than you probably shouldn't of had a Dev Alpha in the first place. They made it so ridiculously easily to qualify, that I'm surprised anyone that can read instructions would be declined. If it was an app that wasnt a web launcher and wasn't a repackages Android app, you pretty much had it covered. I made 6 eligible apps, of which I submitted the worst one first. A app that literally took less than 30 minutes to make, qualified. A very simple webworks app that does less than a fart app, yet it still qualified. I never needed to resubmit my registration with a better app. Their standards are so low, that if it somewhat works and was packaged with the proper SDK, you're good to go. Its really not hard stuff.

Blah, I'm not meaning to attack any one here personally, just kinda frustrated that I know so many deserving developers that won't be getting a LE device. Simply because they couldn't get a Dev Alpha
    Your right i made my qualifying app in one nights time.
    02-06-13 06:47 AM

Totally right. BlackBerry made the rules quite simple. Not being able to qualify for an LE clearly demonstrates a lack of even the most basic BlackBerry app development skills. I hope they brick your devices if you end up trying to keep them against the rules. It's a form of theft. It's a shame real developers aren't qualifying for Dev Alpha's and these are being wasted.
    Saiga likes this.
    02-06-13 10:18 AM
    The deadline has again been extended to Feb 28. So please, just use those Dev Alphas to make apps, and you can legitimately get an LE.
    02-06-13 10:36 AM
    Totally right. BlackBerry made the rules quite simple. Not being able to qualify for an LE clearly demonstrates a lack of even the most basic BlackBerry app development skills. I hope they brick your devices if you end up trying to keep them against the rules. It's a form of theft. It's a shame real developers aren't qualifying for Dev Alpha's and these are being wasted.
    Completely agree.. Honestly, It was extremely difficult for me to get an Alpha, as I had to not only know two BlackBerry Elites, but had to make an app in the mean time. I started with WebWorks, but upon hearing that I had a dev alpha coming on the way, I learned cascades and trashed my HTML5 app (40+ hours of work) and recreated it using Cascades. I have put easily a few 100 hours into learning app development and it was difficult for me to get an alpha even though I truly committed to it. I find it amazing at how some of these people managed to get their hands on a device.. Must just know someone or just went to a JAM event? Idk, it is annoying tho.. There at 7500 dev alphas in the world, and that should mean a guaranteed 10k native Cascades apps from it, I feel like anything less and you don't deserve an alpha.. Really disappointing on hearing this all. I am planning on getting an LE, but my damn Cascades app has been sitting there waiting to get approved for almost a month now, and I'm trying to get it qualified for Built for BlackBerry.. sucks that it's taken this long.. they should make a priority on approving native apps over all of the Android ports and nonsense.. There are some really crappy apps in BlackBerry World, it's a shame that a bunch of them are probably from dev alpha owners, and even worse, didn't even make an app. Oh well, what can ya do I guess.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-06-13 04:13 PM
    The deadline has again been extended to Feb 28. So please, just use those Dev Alphas to make apps, and you can legitimately get an LE.
    Agreed!

I hope they brick the dev alpha devices or at least ban the bbm/device PIN so you cant take advantage of the blackberry experience
    02-06-13 06:00 PM
    I'm pretty sure they'll be bricking the dev alpha device in some way soon (probably after the LE ships or shortly thereafter). Not hard for RIM to do that. There's still another month to go before the deadline expires...shouldn't you just try submitting something else? My app was denied approval first, but after fixing it up, got it approved.

While RIM distributed dev alpha's to quite a few people, some of us do make an effort to try to get the signing keys and learn the SDK's. I'm not a developer (last computer science course I took was in first year university), but I'm taking the time on the weekends and after work to learn how to build apps using BB10 tools. BB had to produce something to show developers (when developer support wasn't the greatest) and I think the dev alpha program has really done a good job. I've also used it to show people the power of the platform, and so it's both a marketing and development tool
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    02-06-13 06:21 PM
    Evaluation units in the past have had their PINs blocked. It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same thing to the Dev Alpha devices after the Limited Edition Z10s have been shipped. It might work for a while, and you might be able to use it after the kill date by loading a leaked OS, but you will probably lose any features that go through the NOC (BBM, Push, native BlackBerry apps).
    02-06-13 09:10 PM
    I'm pretty sure they'll be bricking the dev alpha device in some way soon (probably after the LE ships or shortly thereafter). Not hard for RIM to do that. There's still another month to go before the deadline expires...shouldn't you just try submitting something else? My app was denied approval first, but after fixing it up, got it approved.

While RIM distributed dev alpha's to quite a few people, some of us do make an effort to try to get the signing keys and learn the SDK's. I'm not a developer (last computer science course I took was in first year university), but I'm taking the time on the weekends and after work to learn how to build apps using BB10 tools. BB had to produce something to show developers (when developer support wasn't the greatest) and I think the dev alpha program has really done a good job. I've also used it to show people the power of the platform, and so it's both a marketing and development tool
    Same here.. It's been awesome as to how many people I have already converted showing them this dev alpha.. 3 iPhone users are switching and a few androids and that's just what I known for a fact.. tons of people at school showed interest in it too.. It's been great!

02-07-13 10:09 AM
    You know. You guys really scared me. "HTML5 apps don't count"

DON'T SAY THAT.

Try looking at the FAQ and terms and conditions! https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ition_faq.html

WebWorks apps are eligible.
    Heck Android PORTS are eligible!

People. Before you make a statement like that read up a little. Sheesh. You share the squimish around here!
    02-07-13 11:06 PM
    You know. You guys really scared me. "HTML5 apps don't count"

DON'T SAY THAT.

Try looking at the FAQ and terms and conditions! https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ition_faq.html

WebWorks apps are eligible.
    Heck Android PORTS are eligible!

People. Before you make a statement like that read up a little. Sheesh. You share the squimish around here!
    Never said "HTML5 apps don't count".. It's funny that you quoted that as if someone said it word for word, but noone said that, apparently you just thought you heard someone say that so you quoted it? not sure.. Anways, what I brought up is that if you were lucky enough to get a dev alpha, then you should be making native apps anyways.. The performance difference between WebWorks and native is like night and day. Sure WebWorks and in some cases android ports do qualify for the LE, but it's still a shame for Dev Alpha owners to not make Native Cascades apps. Sure, go make a WebWorks app or anything for that matter.. we'd all take that over you just keeping your Dev Alpha because you don't care about learning how to dev.. shouldn't have a Dev Alpha in the first case if this is the issue.. (that is said more so towards the OP).

Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 02-08-13 at 09:04 PM.
    Saiga likes this.
    02-08-13 01:39 AM
    I'm detecting very sour comments. If I only made a web works app that's OK, not rubbish like some here try to say.
    I have the experience building websites and working with HTML5 but demanding current BB10 Dev Alpha users to build in Cascades because "Web Works and html5 is rubbish" is childish. Same as demanding a GP to practice a brain surgery.
    02-08-13 09:44 AM
    Never said HTML5 WebWorks apps don't count.. what I brought up is that if you were lucky enough to get a dev alpha, then you should be making native apps anyways.. The performance difference between WebWorks and native is like night and day. Sure WebWorks and in some cases android ports do qualify for the LE, but it's still a shame for Dev Alpha owners to not make Native Cascades apps. Sure, go make a WebWorks app or anything for that matter.. we'd all take that over you just keeping your Dev Alpha because you don't care about learning how to dev.. shouldn't have a Dev Alpha in the first case if this is the issue.. (that is said more so towards the OP).
    That's a load of crap. WebWorks apps are very responsive on BB10. Furthermore, HTML5 apps are the way of the future as developers look to standardize code across platforms.
    schmeat likes this.
    02-08-13 10:30 AM
    Interestingly enough, my app tested fine in Ripple but totally didn't work on the Dev Alpha. Had to get it debugged. Nothing like an actual device to test with...
    02-08-13 11:12 AM
    That's a load of crap. WebWorks apps are very responsive on BB10. Furthermore, HTML5 apps are the way of the future as developers look to standardize code across platforms.
    Yes, the apps run alright, but Peek and all of that stuff doesn't work in HTML5 apps, unless you go out of your way to do it like the BlackBerry team made the browser (good luck). BBUI.JS is what I'm speaking of as its the alternative to cascades on BlackBerry 10 for WebWorks.. and although HTML5 is good on BB10, BBUI.JS does NOT do the phone justice.. make an app with WebWorks and BBUI.JS, and then duplicate the same app using Cascades.. the performance differences are night and day.. I know this because That's exactly what I did.. There IS a performance difference, they aren't two of the same as you make it sound.

02-08-13 01:26 PM
    The rules don't say squat about it having to be a native app to qualify. BlackBerry set the standards. If you met those standards, than you done everything required of you and are as deserving to receive a LE device as anyone else that is getting one. In my opinion anyway.

Which is better, web developers making apps and trading their Dev Alpha for a LE. Or consumers getting Dev Alphas with no intention of ever making a BB10 app and then making plans to keep them and put final software on their stolen development tool?
    Last edited by Saiga; 02-08-13 at 02:22 PM.
    schmeat likes this.
    02-08-13 02:07 PM
    The rules don't say squat about it having to be a native app to qualify. BlackBerry set the standards. If you met those standards, than you done everything required of you and are as deserving to receive a LE device as anyone else that is getting one. In my opinion anyway.

Which is better, web developers making apps and trading their Dev Alpha for a LE. Or consumers getting Dev Alphas with no intention of ever making a BB10 app and then making plans to keep them and put final software on their stolen development tool?
    I don't see why this is coming off as an argument or disagreement of some sort..? I'm saying the exact same thing as you.. I even mentioned in a previous post EXACTLY what you just said.. Heck, i'd rather have the dev make a crappy android port over nothing at all and instead just hold onto their dev alpha.. I was simply stating the benefits you gain from making a Cascades app over WebWorks, because a previous poster made it sound like they were two of the same, which in fact, they aren't. BlackBerry says you qualify with WebWorks and some Android ports, etc. I know this..? I was bringing up the additional point that JUST because you can qualify by taking 5 minutes to port an Android app, doesn't mean it's the best thing that should be done.. If you are lucky enough to have gotten a dev alpha, then I say make a Cascades app..

Just because you can take the easy road and get the same reward, why not help out the ecosystem because BlackBerry is counting on us and that's why they have this whole dev alpha and LE device thing in the first place. I am not arguing with ANYONE and I understand EVERYTHING that is being said.. I'm simply stating my opinion, just because there is an easy way out, doesn't mean it's the best way. There is no reason to argue with my opinion, it's just how I feel as I want to see BlackBerry succeed, I'm not just using them to get try n get free stuff. I am a web designer, that is my full time job.. So I know HTML and CSS like the back of my hand, and yes designing for WebWorks was much easier.. But I want to see BlackBerry succeed, so I remade my app using Cascades, learned how to use it, and pushed through it. Did I have to do that? Absolutely not.. But I am trying to help BlackBerry World, as enough people are complaining already about the immense amount of Android ports that are running very lackluster on the OS. Do I feel like someone who makes an app in WebWorks or an Android Port does NOT deserve a LE device? NO! I NEVER SAID THAT... I am simply stating that if you were lucky enough to get a Dev Alpha, why not try and give BlackBerry back the support that they gave you in return.. Yes, its NOT the easy way out as I previously mentioned, but do you want to help the platform out, or just do the bare minimum to get a LE device? That's what you have to decide, and I have already chosen a side.

02-08-13 08:48 PM
    Hope BlackBerry standards improve for native apps, there's so much rubbish in the store and I'm not even talking about the 28,000 repackaged android apps.

Hope BlackBerry realise it's the apps that make or break a platform.

Hasn't the LE been extended 'til March?
    02-09-13 05:26 PM
    Hope BlackBerry standards improve for native apps, there's so much rubbish in the store and I'm not even talking about the 28,000 repackaged android apps.

Hope BlackBerry realise it's the apps that make or break a platform.

Hasn't the LE been extended 'til March?
    I completely agree, and yes, February 28th is the new deadline if I'm not mistaken (either that or the 18th, I don't remember)
    02-09-13 09:02 PM
38 12