Hi All,
    how can i buy BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
    07-08-12 07:34 AM
    No way can you buy one legally. They are not for sale. All these units are the property of RIM and at the end of the trial, they want them all back.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-08-12 08:03 AM
    Plus don't the devs give them back for a working BB10 limited edition in the end. So no reason to want to sell theirs.

Also they get turned off by RIM at a certain point so just a brick.
    07-08-12 08:41 AM
    you need to publish at least one app in order to qualify for the exchange when bb10 comes out. Those units are associated with some sort of ID (personal or company) that they keep when you pick up so i doubt any dev would sell it unless it's like an year after bb10 comes out.
    07-11-12 10:38 PM
    no can do brother i wont sell you my Dev Alpha because i need it to make BlackBerry 10 ROCK!!!!
    wxmancanada and jasonvan9 like this.
    07-12-12 05:52 PM
    Just join hte developer network.

get the simulator. And have fun with that. I guess.

trying to get hte simulator working to no avail
    07-14-12 07:10 PM
    Just join hte developer network.

get the simulator. And have fun with that. I guess.

trying to get hte simulator working to no avail

I know...

I'm trying to get started on BB10 development. The simulator is a.. pain at the best of times trying to get applications to deploy correctly. I really wish I could utilize my Playbook somehow, but no game
    07-15-12 12:58 PM
    The phone itself is pretty useless because you can't really use it for anything other than developing a BB10 app.
    And if you really did want to develop an app, you could very much attend one of the BB10 Jam events to get one, or use the simulator.

No real developer is going to sell their Blackberry Dev Alpha unless you made it worth their while.

If you really want it, I have one and I'll accept $2000 through Western Union.
    Please send money and provide me with your shipping address.
    My account number is 8810-D3V-41PH4

07-16-12 08:14 PM
    The phone itself is pretty useless because you can't really use it for anything other than developing a BB10 app.
    And if you really did want to develop an app, you could very much attend one of the BB10 Jam events to get one, or use the simulator.

No real developer is going to sell their Blackberry Dev Alpha unless you made it worth their while.

If you really want it, I have one and I'll accept $2000 through Western Union.
    Please send money and provide me with your shipping address.
    My account number is 8810-D3V-41PH4

Isn't RIM planning on allowing you to exchange your Dev Alpha's for proper BB10 devices? IIRC it's a limited edition Developers version of the N-Series or L-Series, depending on your preference.
    07-16-12 09:39 PM
    Isn't RIM planning on allowing you to exchange your Dev Alpha's for proper BB10 devices? IIRC it's a limited edition Developers version of the N-Series or L-Series, depending on your preference.
    Correct, only caveat is that you have to submit an app for BB10 launch as well.

Pretty good deal in my opinion, build an app, send back the Dev Alpha, get a new limited edition BB10 device!
    07-16-12 10:05 PM
    Just make sure you're not making a "crapp", since it has to be "certified" this time around in order to qualify for the exchange. (Per words spoken by @asaunders onstage in the Orlando Jam keynote and, I believe, a more recent tweet.)
    07-17-12 02:15 PM
    I meant to the person trying to buy it off someone. Obviously if you bought a Dev Alpha, RIM isn't going to let you exchange it for a limited edition version of their new phone just because you submit an app because they won't be registered into the system as having one. Plus the other person is probably going to get into trouble for selling it.
    07-18-12 06:59 PM
    Just make sure you're not making a "crapp", since it has to be "certified" this time around in order to qualify for the exchange. (Per words spoken by @asaunders onstage in the Orlando Jam keynote and, I believe, a more recent tweet.)
    He didn't said anything like this He only said that only certified apps will be allowed to take part in this $10 000 program.
    07-19-12 06:03 AM
    Anyone trying to buy a Dev Alpha would be kind of pointless. If you happen to see people selling a Dev Alpha online or by word of mouth, chances are it's probably stolen.

In any event, these Dev Alphas will never get the full version of BlackBerry 10, they aren't completely functional phones, if I remember correctly the microphone is actually disabled, as well as these will not get any official support.

Apparently RIM is supposed to "kill" them via an OTA update as well
    07-19-12 08:06 AM
    Pretty sure anyone caught trying to sell/buy it would be hounded by RIM, maybe even charged since it's theirs. AND they can trace who had it originally.

As far as functional. I think it's going to be pretty much fully functional at some point. Mic would need to work for apps that use it. Might just leave out the dialing part out. Although even that would be nice to have to test out how your app behaves on getting/sending calls.

Guess we'll see next year.
    07-19-12 09:25 AM
    If you can't get one then use a simulator..
    And then try to get one
    07-29-12 02:23 AM
    oh man, i want one!
    10-28-12 01:33 AM
    Hi,

If you are a BlackBerry developer already with some apps then just email Alec Saunders or someone in the developer relations department and beg them to send you one so you can port your app to BB10. That is what I did because of family circumstances I missed the opportunity to attend the Jam in my area. You have sign a legal form, then it ships next day.

I debugged my Playbook app and ported it over to BB10 while at the same time switching from jQuery to bbUI.js. Last night I submitted my app to Appworld and hope it should be approved since it is an optimized version of my Playbook app but for BB10. The Dev Alpha was a life saver because even though things looked ok in Ripple and Chrome, there were subtle nuances I had to work out and debug.

So if you must have a Dev Alpha and cannot attend a Jam, the next best thing as a private individual is to buy a Playbook and develop a few apps for it. Then tell RIM you want to port them to BB10 also and it shouldn't take you more than a few hours to a few days to get it submitted for BB10 approval as well. Then at least you have already established your credibility and they know you are serious about developing and will have an app submission.

If you are not a developer, you have no use for a Dev Alpha and taking away the opportunity from someone else to use it for developing because they are in limited supplies. If you are not a developer, I encourage you to learn Webworks as it is the easiest way to start making apps and you will surely be rewarded for your hard work in ways you may not immediately realize... In pride knowing you created something, financially and /or free products from RIM like Playbook, Dev Alpha and so on.

This was posted from a Dev Alpha using the Web browser with help from the predictive typing keyboard suggestions (loving it)!
    10-28-12 07:58 PM
    Hi,

If you are a BlackBerry developer already with some apps then just email Alec Saunders or someone in the developer relations department and beg them to send you one so you can port your app to BB10. That is what I did because of family circumstances I missed the opportunity to attend the Jam in my area. You have sign a legal form, then it ships next day.

I debugged my Playbook app and ported it over to BB10 while at the same time switching from jQuery to bbUI.js. Last night I submitted my app to Appworld and hope it should be approved since it is an optimized version of my Playbook app but for BB10. The Dev Alpha was a life saver because even though things looked ok in Ripple and Chrome, there were subtle nuances I had to work out and debug.

So if you must have a Dev Alpha and cannot attend a Jam, the next best thing as a private individual is to buy a Playbook and develop a few apps for it. Then tell RIM you want to port them to BB10 also and it shouldn't take you more than a few hours to a few days to get it submitted for BB10 approval as well. Then at least you have already established your credibility and they know you are serious about developing and will have an app submission.

If you are not a developer, you have no use for a Dev Alpha and taking away the opportunity from someone else to use it for developing because they are in limited supplies. If you are not a developer, I encourage you to learn Webworks as it is the easiest way to start making apps and you will surely be rewarded for your hard work in ways you may not immediately realize... In pride knowing you created something, financially and /or free products from RIM like Playbook, Dev Alpha and so on.

This was posted from a Dev Alpha using the Web browser with help from the predictive typing keyboard suggestions (loving it)!
    Been there and done that. No way they will send you a free dev unit. You will have to physically be in one of the JAM session to qualify for the device.
    10-31-12 12:28 PM
    I was searching on the playbook app store yesterday and look what i came across;
    Buy P**p Rain - BlackBerry App World
    Seagull P**p onslaught - BlackBerry App World

guess thats it for quality apps than?
    10-31-12 12:46 PM
    Well, the one is free, and the other might be one of the quality p**p apps. Did you try either? ;-)
    10-31-12 07:48 PM
    nahhh.... the graphics werent quite what i was hoping for... not exactly the HD P**P i would expect out of a BlackBerry app
    11-02-12 01:19 PM
    Been there and done that. No way they will send you a free dev unit. You will have to physically be in one of the JAM session to qualify for the device.
    You need to read more carefully. EDYB said he actually DID get one this way.

I suspect, though, that there's a much higher "burden of proof" to qualify this way; I'm guessing you either need to have a public track record as a dev or be able to provide some detail as to what you want to develop.
    11-02-12 01:53 PM
    Damn. I've been trying to teach myself coding so I can get my app idea turned into a reality. I can't make heads or tails out of coding. Guess my Dev will be a nice paper weight until I have to turn it back in for nothing in return.
    11-09-12 10:08 AM
    Damn. I've been trying to teach myself coding so I can get my app idea turned into a reality. I can't make heads or tails out of coding. Guess my Dev will be a nice paper weight until I have to turn it back in for nothing in return.
    Well you can PM me or another member who's a known developer (SifJar, xsacha, etc) and we'd be glad to point you to the right people to help you get started.
    11-09-12 09:59 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD