Just wondering with majority of devs selling their Blackberry Red Z10's, is it allowed?. Blackberry doesnt seem to do much with stopping them. I know with the Dev Alphas, Blackberry didnt want them to get them sold as it was a testing device. Also on the box it does say property of RIM.

What do you guys think?
    04-17-13 07:58 AM
    Why wouldn't they be allowed to sell it?
    04-17-13 08:00 AM
    They are allowed, since they own that phone. Dev Alphas are still property of RIM.
    04-17-13 08:07 AM
    Just wondering as underneath the battery, the sticker say property of research in motion Are Devs Allowed To Sell Their Limited Edition Z10's-limited-edition-blackberry-z10-property-rim.jpg
    04-17-13 08:15 AM
    Hmm, that is strange. Is it stated on your own Z10? Cause this one pictured may be from some sort of expo. And by the way, where is it assembled? Still in Canada as DAs, or in China?
    04-17-13 08:21 AM
    I havent checked if it is stated on my phone. I should have done that when I first put the battery in. It was a developer's who did a review on it.
    04-17-13 08:27 AM
    04-17-13 08:29 AM
    Mine has the same sticker: "Made in Mexico Property of Research in Motion"
    Saiga likes this.
    04-17-13 09:47 AM
    I can confirm that my STL1003 LE says "Property of Research In Motion" in the same spot. I never noticed it till I seen that. I wonder if it is just the STL1003 version that says that. I noticed the phone on that website is the same hardware version as mine. Which version do you have? Can you check your sticker to see if it is on your's also?
    04-17-13 09:50 AM
    Mine has the same sticker: "Made in Mexico Property of Research in Motion"
    Which hardware version do you have?
    04-17-13 09:51 AM
    STL100-1 has the same sticker
    Saiga likes this.
    04-17-13 09:55 AM
    I've got an STL100-3 in the US with the same sticker...

I wouldn't ever think of selling mine, but I wonder what this means for anyone who would want to sell it?
    04-17-13 10:00 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the idea was, but my LE also carries that sticker.

Don't think BB would step in to prevent a sale though. There will be 12000 such devices; it would be somewhat difficult to track them all.

In my case, I decided for a few reasons to hand my LE over to my wife, but if a dev wants to sell theirs I don't see why not.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 10:29 AM
    Which hardware version do you have?
    STL 100-3
    04-17-13 12:02 PM
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the idea was, but my LE also carries that sticker.

Don't think BB would step in to prevent a sale though. There will be 12000 such devices; it would be somewhat difficult to track them all.

In my case, I decided for a few reasons to hand my LE over to my wife, but if a dev wants to sell theirs I don't see why not.

Posted via CB10
    Would be easy to track these devices, tag the PINs. 12000 PINs is nothing, I have managed a server (well multiple) that had that many devices on them. I am very certain RIM/BB has a record of which devices went to which dev.
    04-17-13 12:44 PM
    All LE versions have that sticker. But, everyone before thinking about selling their LE, should ask himself why he got it at all. It's not fair that somebody is making a business deals and yet somebody is waiting for their promised device forever.
    04-17-13 12:44 PM
    Well mate, they gave away LE's even for just Web Apps... so you can tell if people give a f*** about them...
    04-17-13 01:37 PM
    I think if these devices were able to give other benefits beside just a different color.
    Like at blackberry developer events or any blackberry events to give special treatments like a VIP pass or certain special benefits.
    I am pretty sure people wouldn't be selling them and probably regret selling them if they found out their really is a special benefits holding one of these devices.

Right now people are thinking its only Red and has a special number engraved in the back nothing special software running either. The specs are exactly same as the black & white Version why not sell it for 2x the money and get the black version while still have left over money to spend on accessories or something.
    goku_vegeta and BBWatchCA like this.
    04-17-13 01:43 PM
    @fbloise Web Apps? nah - if you mean WebWorks apps - then Yes.. but a WebWorks app can be just as good as a Cascades app - depending on what type of app it is - absolutely nothing wrong with webworks apps... they run just as "native" as others....
    Artwerks likes this.
    04-17-13 09:17 PM
    Would be easy to track these devices, tag the PINs. 12000 PINs is nothing, I have managed a server (well multiple) that had that many devices on them. I am very certain RIM/BB has a record of which devices went to which dev.
    It would get tricky very quickly. The only way it could have been managed would have been if BlackBerry pre registered one specific user for each one before shipping, and I know devs wouldn't have liked that.

For instance, as I said, mine went to my wife. I didn't sell it, but it didn't go on my registered BBID, either. Never mind selling LEs, what you're suggesting would even preclude giving them as gifts.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 01:48 PM
    "Property of blackberry " is standard affair under the battery. Almost all manufacturers have this listed on a multitude of their phones dating back 2 decades. Heck the box - even on full retail z10's state this. The intellectual property of the manufacturing and os is most likely the reason.

To the op, go ahead. Fetch a pretty penny. I have a feeling that the LE devices have priority and extended warranties, vs the regular retail z10's.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 01:44 AM
    I have to say that with the Q10 coming around the corner I am tempted to sell mine. With the price that they are fetching on EBAY I could get a Z10 and a q10. Seriously thinking about it.

Posted via CB10 on my Commodore 64
    04-20-13 05:55 AM

I have a feeling that the LE devices have priority and extended warranties, vs the regular retail z10's.

Posted via CB10
    The evidence so far would suggest otherwise for both of those points. First, BlackBerry hasn't done anything to help the LE owners get updates. Several developers have the device in markets where the Z10 either hasn't launched, or the carriers haven't pushed a update. Either way I've seen a lot of LE people complain about not getting a single update so far.

Secondly, the warranty is really bad. Like so bad that you won't want to use it even if they allowed you to use it. I heard from a developer with a bad volume key, this prevented him from using the LE to take screen shots of his app and other issues. He contacted BlackBerry about the faulty button and was basically told he was out of luck and that "they won't replace devices that are mostly functional". Even if they did replace they faulty Z10, it wouldn't be with a red one I'm sure.

Personally speaking, After playing with the Dev Alpha C, I'm strongly considering selling my LE.
    I'm just waiting to see if they offer a trade up for the C or maybe just let us keep them. I'd be happy just having the C as my daily use BlackBerry 10 phone.

If not, I'm buing a QWERTY device. The Q10 is without question the better device. Just having the keyboard shortcuts makes me way more efficient than I ever was on the Z10. And the keyboard itself is amazing, much roomier than the 99's keys. I imagine that some early adopters will be having buyer's remorse soon.

I'm willing to bet that BlackBerry intentionally released the Z first just because they knew no one would buy it if they could have bought a Q at that time instead.

Typed on a Dev Alpha C and Posted Via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    04-20-13 07:20 AM
    @Saiga

Yup. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that if a LE breaks and RIM can't fix it, they'll replace it - with a normal Z10. I had to send in my Playbook twice in the last two years. I'm not confident the LE wouldn't break at some point.

I completely agree with your reasoning though I'm further along than you. I already sold my LE. I don't put much value in "exclusive" items or the colour red, but evidently other people do. Far more than I do. To keep it would be like choosing a red phone over a normal phone + hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't pay hundreds more for a red phone. I prefer the QWERTY to the touch screen as well.

I'm really liking the dev C. I'm going to try that leaked OS to see if I can use it as my daily driver, like I did the Dev B for a month before trading it in. I'd use the Dev C until RIM bricks or takes it and then I'd grab a Q10. If it lasts long enough, might even get a Q11
    04-21-13 01:15 AM
    @Saiga

Yup. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that if a LE breaks and RIM can't fix it, they'll replace it - with a normal Z10. I had to send in my Playbook twice in the last two years. I'm not confident the LE wouldn't break at some point.

I completely agree with your reasoning though I'm further along than you. I already sold my LE. I don't put much value in "exclusive" items or the colour red, but evidently other people do. Far more than I do. To keep it would be like choosing a red phone over a normal phone + hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't pay hundreds more for a red phone. I prefer the QWERTY to the touch screen as well.

I'm really liking the dev C. I'm going to try that leaked OS to see if I can use it as my daily driver, like I did the Dev B for a month before trading it in. I'd use the Dev C until RIM bricks or takes it and then I'd grab a Q10. If it lasts long enough, might even get a Q11
    I received my Limited Edition and I love it. Just wondering if we can sell our Dev Alpha C?
    04-24-13 10:54 AM
30 12