I can't believe I'm doing this, but...

I have a Dev Alpha B, which I acquired at a BlackBerry Jam in Amsterdam. However, I'm unable to develop an application with the quality it requires before the deadline to be eligible for the limited edition of the first BlackBerry 10 devices because I'm currently working on my Master's Thesis. At the BlackBerry Jam, one of the speaker spoke about giving back to the community, which really inspired me. This is why I'm reaching out to the community and want to give someone the chance to receive my Dev Alpha B (I'm not selling it), develop a kick- application and receive a limited edition BlackBerry 10 device. I know it's not for resale, which is why I'm not selling it. I'm just reaching out to someone who deserves it more than I do at this time.

Let's do it CrackBerry style. Sound off in the comments to convince me why YOU're the one who deserves it.
    11-29-12 06:57 PM
    Pretty sure you're not supposed trade/sell Dev devices

Since it's registered to you...no one would be getting a legit device.
    itr themes likes this.
    11-29-12 07:19 PM
    IF someone else took this dev device and enter incorrect information that don't match up. They are probably going to assume it was sold to them.
    11-29-12 07:30 PM
    I think you should confirm if you can give it to another developer.
    11-29-12 07:36 PM
    Ill take it. I need to try my app.
    11-29-12 07:37 PM
    While you should check that you are able to hand it off (im sure if you explain they will let you) Ive been desperate for one of these devices for quite some time. I think its incredibly gracious of you to do this, and I know that whoever gets your device will be forever grateful.

I am Lead Developer of Domisy Dev. You can see my app page here:
    Domisy Dev - BlackBerry App World

As you can see I currently have two Playbook apps, both relatively popular. I also have a BB Java app in approval process right now and many more BB10 app ideas swirling in my head.

I have been working on porting my playbook app SoundNine to BB10 for the past month and half. Really been wanting to test it on real device, and without one Ive been held back. I cant really judge performance, I cant really test things like invocation, mediaservice stuff etc. I need a device for that stuff. I need a real device to take the app to the next level. Living in Chicago, I havn't had a real opportunity to attend one of the developer events to get a device since they rarely visit here. They did however make a stop here last Wednesday, and I was very disappointed I could not attend that day.

I have the .bar file almost ready to submit to app world. It is however missing those critical OS integration stuff that is needed for say getting app Certification and all. I would greatly appreciate your device. I don't think I can stress enough how helpful your device would be to me and for my continued development for Blackberry devices. I know BB10 is going to be amazing, and I want to help contribute to it.

If you email me at [email protected] I will send you the bar file so you can see the app that I am making, and judge for yourself whether I am qualified to receive your device. Please do not hesitate to email me with any questions either!

Thanks a ton,
    T.
    Last edited by flaminSaganaki; 12-02-12 at 09:57 PM.
    11-29-12 08:14 PM
    I've consulted BlackBerry about this. If it's possible to switch owners, I'll consider everyone who has reacted to this post (excluding PM's). If not, I will keep the device for myself. Wanna do this by the books and on the record, since my personal information is linked to the device. I'm sure you'll understand.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    11-29-12 08:44 PM
    Yes, you can transfer ownership.
    I'm sure you could have a webworks app for it by the deadline though.
    11-29-12 09:10 PM
    If it's allowed.

Guess I'll express my interest publicly
    11-29-12 09:32 PM
    I'm just reaching out to someone who deserves it more than I do at this time.
    What a class act!

I'd encourage everyone else who can see by now that they really will not be able to meet the deadline, to find someone else who "deserves it more".
    11-30-12 08:38 AM
    What a class act!

I'd encourage everyone else who can see by now that they really will not be able to meet the deadline, to find someone else who "deserves it more".
    Definitely! Very great of you H4zN.

I don't know if it should be given out, but if it's alright I would love to take it. Though I already have a Dev A, the Dev B would be great for me to have to show a more accurate representation of how it will perform with the final version. My Dev A does not perform well for web apps whereas I've seen it run really well on a Dev B. I would definitely give my Dev A out to another developer in need if this were the case. Someone that might not be working on a web app, but a Cascades app instead (they run well on the Dev A).

But if there is someone else that doesn't even have a Dev A and feels strongly about developing, then definitely put me in line AFTER them.

11-30-12 05:09 PM
    This may be only chance of getting one of these, so why not:
    Please pick me!
    Dev Alpha devices were a starting point for a lot of first time developers.
    And just like you, I want this to be my stepping stone as a developer and have it lead to BB10 greatness!
    11-30-12 05:45 PM
    I would love to get my hands on one. I use to be a Theme Developer waiting for TB7. With theme support not available on BB10, I'm looking to build apps but don't have a developers device nor have the funds to go to a BB Jam.
    11-30-12 11:16 PM
    Why give it to someone who's going to develop for BB10 regardless when you could bring more devs in by turning an old pessimist into a believer? I'm this close to buying a Nexus 4 *holds thumb and index finger an inch apart* :P
    Looking at the demos, the Dev Alphas seem to have the innate ability to make people fall in love with BB10.
    11-30-12 11:36 PM
    I'd like to throw my name in the hat for this too. I'm also a former theme (and website) developer, who recently started on my first app. I believe it's going to be really cool for people who are really into social media. Let me know if you need any more info.

Also, I think it's really great that you're doing this!
    12-02-12 04:43 PM
    Hi,

Please know that the following are words of one hundred percent honesty, I would not take the time to write this if I wasn't serious, or didn't think I was the right choice.

I'm working on several apps for BB10, and am absolutely positive I could have an app that qualifies out in time to receive the limited edition device, so it would certainly not be a wasted kindness if I received your dev. My current app, Game Night Points Counter, is a terrible example of my skills, so I've attached an export shot of the new version to show you that I have gotten and continue to get far better at coding and developing apps all the time (this shot is from Eclipse, and is all coded, ready content).

Dev Alpha B up for grabs!-points-counter-2.0.jpg
    I am a high school student who is currently learning Java, Javascript, and Visual Basic, with the full intention of attending post secondary school to receive a formal, in-depth education in programming. It is the field I plan to go into for a career, and am certainly planning on continuing mobile development as time goes on. A Dev Alpha device would be wildly useful for me, as I could make sure that my app is ready for BB10 and get it submitted in time for launch, and the Limited Edition BB10 device.

I think it's really awesome of you to try and give someone else a shot, and that being said I absolutely assure you this would be extremely useful to me, and I have no doubt of getting an application in on time. My application is nearly done anyway, and having a solid testing device would only fuel my passion to make sure that it is a great app, that is finished in plenty of time. There's even a good chance I'll get an additional one, and possibly even two apps done by the launch of BlackBerry 10. Coding is what I am going to do for a career, and I will always continue to build mobile apps.

All I can really say is, I can meet up to your hopes if I am chosen, and either way I appreciate you thinking about it, and taking the time to read this post. If I were chosen, I assure you that you would have my undying gratitude at the opportunity, as you would be giving me a real jumpstart into developing to benefit myself, and to a dedication of having some great apps available for BB10 at launch.

P.S., I apologize for sending you a PM, I did not see that you wanted thread-only replies until after I sent it.
    Attached Thumbnails Dev Alpha B up for grabs!-points-counter-2.0.jpg  
    Aut-Lin37 likes this.
    12-03-12 05:02 PM
    If legit, I'd be down for it
    12-03-12 06:05 PM
    I would love to receive a Dev Alpha if RIM really does allow it to be traded. I put my BB10 project on hold since I couldn't get the simulator working on my PC and have no way to even see how my app will look on any screen.
    12-03-12 06:59 PM
    Overdramatic much?
    I'll die if I don't get it
    12-03-12 10:29 PM
    I love the opportunity to start coding again. this might give me the kick in the pants i need!
    12-03-12 10:40 PM
    While you should check that you are able to hand it off (im sure if you explain they will let you) Ive been desperate for one of these devices for quite some time. I think its incredibly gracious of you to do this, and I know that whoever gets your device will be forever grateful.

I am Lead Developer of Domisy Dev. You can see my app page here:
    Domisy Dev - BlackBerry App World

As you can see I currently have two Playbook apps, both relatively popular. I also have a BB Java app in approval process right now and many more BB10 app ideas swirling in my head.

I have been working on porting my playbook app SoundNine to BB10 for the past month and half. Really been wanting to test it on real device, and without one Ive been held back. I cant really judge performance, I cant really test things like invocation, mediaservice stuff etc. I need a device for that stuff. I need a real device to take the app to the next level. Living in Chicago, I havn't had a real opportunity to attend one of the developer events to get a device since they rarely visit here. They did however make a stop here last Wednesday, and I was very disappointed I could not attend that day.

I have the .bar file almost ready to submit to app world. It is however missing those critical OS integration stuff that is needed for say getting app Certification and all. I would greatly appreciate your device. I don't think I can stress enough how helpful your device would be to me and for my continued development for Blackberry devices. I know BB10 is going to be amazing, and I want to help contribute to it.

If you email me at [email protected] I will send you the bar file so you can see the app that I am making, and judge for yourself whether I am qualified to receive your device. Please do not hesitate to email me with any questions either!

Thanks a ton,
    T.
    I would support flaminSaganaki, I use the SoundNine app regularly and think its a great app, I also stumbled upon a thread where he wanted Dev Alpha users to try out the BB10 app and provide feedback, so id say they are legit and deserve a Dev Alpha device.
    flaminSaganaki and mithrazor like this.
    12-04-12 02:13 AM
    Wow! I never thought that this would happen. I'm individual developer and developing apps for PlayBook and BlackBerry 10, but due to the lack of BB10 hardware I'm unable to fix issues in my apps. Here I am Borche - BlackBerry App World

Currently I'm working on two android games, but I stuck at accelerometer support. Coordinate system seems inverted when device is in portrait or landscape and without docs and real device I can't build another release for App World. Also, I forgot to mention, I'm working with OsmAnd project team and BB10 hardware will be extremely useful for testing the next release (finally 1.0.0)
    12-04-12 04:49 AM
    DUDEEE, I NEED A REDDIT APP ON BLACKBERRY 10. OMG, Some guys are making one, but they got busy with work. Pretty please, I will help you, I am a dev building in Native but don't know/don't have the time to learn and understand Reddit API. Reddit is like my cocaine, and I need my fix on bb10.
    12-04-12 12:45 PM
    DUDEEE, I NEED A REDDIT APP ON BLACKBERRY 10. OMG, Some guys are making one, but they got busy with work. Pretty please, I will help you, I am a dev building in Native but don't know/don't have the time to learn and understand Reddit API. Reddit is like my cocaine, and I need my fix on bb10.
    I made a reddit app for the Playbook "Reddit in Motion" which I was planning to port over sometime soon.
    12-04-12 06:03 PM
    Hello, I have been trying to get one of these devices for quite a while now and would love to actully get one in my hands. I currently have made a few small apps like a date converter and a random choice generator but i really want to make more apps. I truly love BB10 OS and have wanted to get the phone when it comes out. I missed the chance to win one online with making games but I am trying to get one but not many people are selling or giving them away if any. Anyways I hope you will choose me.
    Yes, this account is brand new just made it to hopefully win.
    12-07-12 06:07 PM
39 12