To all dev alpha devs ... can you discribe the overall feel of BB10 in terms of smooth navigation within the menus ? Or do you feel and see some dropped frames as you swipe through the devices menus ?

Thanks !
    12-04-12 07:18 AM
    It seems smooth like butter, just to let you know though is that there will be some times that it might lag or jump because it is still a beta.
    On Friday I also picked up a nexus 4, and after playing with the two the nexus 4 is not a smooth as my Dev Alpha A. I am assuming the Dev Alpha B would be better since it has a faster processor.
    12-04-12 08:21 AM
    Prior to the latest beta, the Dev Alpha A wasn't really "smooth" in many cases. With beta 4, it's definitely smooth... and as noted, the Dev Alpha B, which we believe matches the hardware for the launch phones pretty closely, should be noticeably better.

They're still tweaking performance things though, and we still have debugging code in place in many areas. Just remember, even if it looks great now, it may not be representative of the final product. (That is, it should end up better than anything you see now!)
    TheScionicMan and anon5398027 like this.
    12-04-12 11:01 AM
    Hey, right now when you shift screen to screen of apps, its very slow and laggy compared to iOS and Android. But not all bad news, the processor is very slow on the dev alpha a, with dual possible quad core coming on BB10, that will not be the case. Although, the new build did increase the buttery feel than before, and some apps like the browser is now SO SEXY, I am on it like 24/7. Writing this post from the new browser actually.

I use it to stream tv shows on justin.tv at night, and when they say quality is better than retina display they don't lie. It's beautiful.
    anon5398027 likes this.
    12-04-12 12:53 PM
    It's gotten a lot better on the Dev Alpha A and my understanding is that it's better on Dev Alpha B. It should be better at launch (progress is clearly being made).
    12-04-12 03:00 PM
    Can the device toggle panes, switch apps, minimize apps, as fast as your finger can go?

What I mean is, for example, on the playbook if you're on the home screen and very quickly try switching pages (panes) it will not keep up, and it will miss the second swipe. Another example would be once you launch an app, and then minimize it and quickly try to toss it up (to close) it misses that gesture. Finally, open a bunch of apps and try switching between them by swiping from bezel to bezel as fast as you can and it won't "register" and ends up missing the swipes. Other OS's such as Android and IOS can handle those swipes so I was wondering if BB10 can as well.
    12-05-12 02:45 AM
    This I guess we'll have to wait and find out. But If you have seen the article posted recently by Simon on the CB homepage regarding the app PicSay/PicStory, you can see that in the video demo, the app looks mighty fast. Even when applying filter to photos. If an app could perform that well, I think the core functions/navigations would perform just as well, or better.

And if you look at the latest video regarding active frames on BB10 by Adam I think, it looks pretty smooth too for a beta software.

Or at least I'm hoping so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    12-05-12 04:15 AM
    From what I've understood the OS inside Dev Alphas (I own a Dev Alpha A) are deliberately modified to underperform.
    I was lucky to see latest stable full OS on a Dev Alpha device, and it is amazingly faster and buttery smooth than my latest SDK-testing OS Final device will of course be equipped with even better specs, so expect the overall experience to be awesome-o..

You shouldn't judge the speed with the Dev OS, it's laggy and built for app testing only. 1 app at a time

I wish though one of the original OS releases were leaked, so we could also use the device with full phone specs.. Come on Crackberry, you are the king of leaks, do something
    12-06-12 09:10 AM
    Like many, I saw an improvement with Beta 4. For me when it comes to the browser, while it is smoother, there are times I have scrolling issues, where the whole screen doesn't scroll up and the screen ends up looking like the webpage was scrambled up.
    12-07-12 05:22 PM