12,000 were made (or are being made)....
    02-13-13 08:10 PM
    Hi All,

Anyone know a time-frame for the trade up to the Z10 LE for the broader dev community?

I sent in my Dev Alpha A back in early January and received confirmation that they got it in the warehouse in Waterloo. I guess they base the timing on the launch date, NOT when you sent it in?

***UPDATE:

After reading some posts a few pages back, it looks like people are saying 5-7 weeks post launch (not when sent in), which would put it into early to late March for anybody that has already sent in their Dev Alpha.

Does that sound about right? Looking forward to it! My wife is going to have a Z10 (normal one from her carrier) before I get mine, I'm so jealous. :-)
    Last edited by edyb; 02-17-13 at 11:02 AM.
    02-17-13 10:51 AM
    Hi All,

Anyone know a time-frame for the trade up to the Z10 LE for the broader dev community?

I sent in my Dev Alpha A back in early January and received confirmation that they got it in the warehouse in Waterloo. I guess they base the timing on the launch date, NOT when you sent it in?

***UPDATE:

After reading some posts a few pages back, it looks like people are saying 5-7 weeks post launch (not when sent in), which would put it into early to late March for anybody that has already sent in their Dev Alpha.

Does that sound about right? Looking forward to it! My wife is going to have a Z10 (normal one from her carrier) before I get mine, I'm so jealous. :-)
    Yup, you are correct
    02-17-13 12:17 PM
    From the photo, looks like limited edition's back side is paint, not textured as z10's?
    02-17-13 10:00 PM
    The back side of the Limited Edition Z10 is shiny plastic like the white ones rather than the rubbery back on the black Z10.
    02-17-13 10:29 PM
    I can't imagine how it feels like... but I think I prefer the rubbery material feeling, those shiny ones easily collect fingerprints.
    I also saw the set came with a back cover? How is that cover?
    02-17-13 11:16 PM
    I can't imagine how it feels like... but I think I prefer the rubbery material feeling, those shiny ones easily collect fingerprints.
    I also saw the set came with a back cover? How is that cover?
    The videos you saw with the extra black back cover is only for the Elite members. I don't think the rest of us will be getting that.
    Though I do hope so. I like a textured back as well. Otherwise it's too easy to slip out of my hands.
    02-18-13 11:12 AM
    Will probably get a case for it so will never see the back anyways. I'm hoping Crackberry will sell all sorts of back covers or even customizable with graphics like on that startup... www.emblm.ca

Wonder if emblm plans on supporting Z10?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    02-18-13 03:57 PM
    ***UPDATE:

That's what they claimed on the blackberry dev blog. Problem is their timelines keep changing... Initially in January they had two different times listed (4-5 weeks after Jan 31st in one place, 4-7 weeks if I remember correctly in another). Then, two weeks post Jan 31st they said 2-7 weeks out from the current date.

So take the deadlines with a grain of salt... They are still keeping true to blackberry deadlines on this one...
    02-20-13 02:21 PM
    That's what they claimed on the blackberry dev blog. Problem is their timelines keep changing... Initially in January they had two different times listed (4-5 weeks after Jan 31st in one place, 4-7 weeks if I remember correctly in another). Then, two weeks post Jan 31st they said 2-7 weeks out from the current date.

So take the deadlines with a grain of salt... They are still keeping true to blackberry deadlines on this one...
    their worst case dates have always been 8 weeks, which when someone gives me a delivery window thats the date i look at, sods law thats when it`ll happen normally lol
    02-20-13 09:53 PM
    their worst case dates have always been 8 weeks, which when someone gives me a delivery window thats the date i look at, sods law thats when it`ll happen normally lol
    All depends where you happened to read it, which is the problem... Every single place had different dates and 2 weeks out the dates did not really change. Technically 2 weeks after Jan 30th + 7 weeks = 9 weeks, if you believe that deadline to begin with.

They need to learn to give concise dates that they can meet for sure (ie. push it farther out from the get go). Say April 14th and everyone is a bit upset at first, but then happy if you beat it. It's really simple and they still haven't learned that. Keep everyone confused (just like the whole LE availability fiasco) or keep pushing the dates back and everyone is continually annoyed.
    02-20-13 10:40 PM
    They would have probably been able to stick to the first date if they hadn't been generous to developers and extended the deadline for acceptance. Surely you can't say that was a bad move on their part.

I agree the communication could be a little better worded to reflect that, but when you look at the extensions they gave developers then it's kinda understandable.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    02-20-13 11:24 PM
    They would have probably been able to stick to the first date if they hadn't been generous to developers and extended the deadline for acceptance. Surely you can't say that was a bad move on their part.

I agree the communication could be a little better worded to reflect that, but when you look at the extensions they gave developers then it's kinda understandable.

Posted via CB10
    Why delay shipping out the device for people that met the initial deadline? Delaying everyone provides no incentive for those that met the initial deadline. I don't understand why it takes 7 weeks to ship out a device, unless they're still waiting for production runs. Those of us that submitted apps are now in limbo as we cannot:
    - create new apps
    - launch fixes/updates for apps we did launch
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    02-21-13 08:02 AM
    That is true, I have not got a testing device as I sent my dev alpha back on the 8th January. I have made a HTML5 web works 2D side scroller game. However the simulator is not a true test of performance. I have nearly finished my game, but I can't submit it as I need to test if the game works as it should. I hope we getting further announcements on what is happening and how long estimate for people who have already sent dev alpha and has been received at warehouse and people who are just starting. I'm pretty sure if they can produce a 1000+ prior to bbjam, to produce 12,000 should not cause a delay.

This is my game, for any of you that are interested:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iqUcezf6qo

Why delay shipping out the device for people that met the initial deadline? Delaying everyone provides no incentive for those that met the initial deadline. I don't understand why it takes 7 weeks to ship out a device, unless they're still waiting for production runs. Those of us that submitted apps are now in limbo as we cannot:
    - create new apps
    - launch fixes/updates for apps we did launch
    02-21-13 09:39 AM
    I don't understand the delay either. It would not make any sense to just make a production run for BB Jam and not complete the whole production run of 12,000 in one shot.
    02-21-13 10:07 AM
    The only reason, I can think of is to check if these batch of red z10's worked perfectly without flaws and fault, sort of test drive. But then again you wouldn't give elite members red z10's which are not fit for purpose. Also you cant produce 1000+ red z10's to test it works 100%. I'd hope for Blackberry to have more info about this, as everyone is puzzled about what is currently happening.

I don't understand the delay either. It would not make any sense to just make a production run for BB Jam and not complete the whole production run of 12,000 in one shot.
    02-21-13 10:13 AM
    Supposedly, the ones done for BlackBerry Jam were assembled by hand and not using the normal production process. I don't think they did do the 12,000 in one shot.
    02-21-13 12:07 PM
    Supposedly, the ones done for BlackBerry Jam were assembled by hand and not using the normal production process. I don't think they did do the 12,000 in one shot.
    Bear in mind that it's just the outer case that's the issue here. I'm curious as to whether the box label shows the ones distributed to the Elites as being assembled in Canada or Mexico?
    02-21-13 12:38 PM
    A better question is why did they extend the deadline if they had a set number of LE devices made... Maybe they didn't meet the original number so they extended the deadline to use the remaining quantity.

None of the supposed reasoning makes sense anyways.
    -They should have met the deadline they had for the people who already were approved.
    -The approval process is a mess and has been random (people who submitted way early still have not been approved while others who submitted late have).
    -The elgibility is a mess.
    -The shipping deadlines are not clear (for the developer playbook offer they actually didn't even send out shipment confirmation at ALL for many people. You had no clue what was going on until something just showed up at your door).
    -When to ship the BB10 alpha device back was unclear.
    -The confirmation email received when you sent it back was confusing (3rd party, with links that users can't login to at all).

I can go on and on. But this stuff has been a problem for a long time and hasn't really been improving.
    02-21-13 03:13 PM
    I agree, BB seemed to be doing a good job with developer's relationships up to the launch, but then seem to be making a mess of the LE trade-in, and worse, the BFBB program (see BB dev forums).
    02-21-13 03:16 PM
    Also the simple fact is that any dev who returned the alpha now has no device for 1-2 (or 3?) months. Most functionality doesn't work on the simulator (same with Ripple). They aren't gong to buy a Z10 when they are supposed to get a free one later.

So what happens inbetween?
    02-21-13 03:19 PM
    Also the simple fact is that any dev who returned the alpha now has no device for 1-2 (or 3?) months. Most functionality doesn't work on the simulator (same with Ripple). They aren't gong to buy a Z10 when they are supposed to get a free one later.

So what happens inbetween?
    Exactly. I can develop nothing.
    02-21-13 03:34 PM
    A better question is why did they extend the deadline if they had a set number of LE devices made... Maybe they didn't meet the original number so they extended the deadline to use the remaining quantity.
    They had enough LE devices made that every Dev Alpha could be traded in. They set the bar extremely low on qualifying for the LE. All you need to do is write at minimum one small program that does something useful. Since they screened the people who got the Dev Alphas in the first place to make sure they were developers (or at least they tried to), they were justified in expecting a trade-in rate of close to 100%.

A lot of people on Twitter and the BlackBerry developers blog ran into problems when they tried to upload at the last minute (accounts inexplicably locked, etc.), so this is the reason for the extension. They were really counting on a 100% trade-in rate. They need to get those devices out there where people can write more apps.

I don't know the story behind the delivery date. It was always intentionally vague by design. If it's anything like estimating how long it takes to fix a bug, I've learned the hard way that it's not wise to give a date you might not be able to meet.
    02-21-13 04:08 PM
    I don't know the story behind the delivery date. It was always intentionally vague by design. If it's anything like estimating how long it takes to fix a bug, I've learned the hard way that it's not wise to give a date you might not be able to meet.
    If they had an exact number of expected trade ins and expected 100% trade in then production and delivery is simple... You know well in advance, regardless of the extension for others or not.

I'll tell you this though. Myself and many others would have applied for a dev C if they knew they could do nothing for so long (simply so you would have a device to test with), EXCEPT, now the dev c is in the same spot... So you would end up screwed later anyways.
    02-21-13 05:02 PM
    If they had an exact number of expected trade ins and expected 100% trade in then production and delivery is simple... You know well in advance, regardless of the extension for others or not.

I'll tell you this though. Myself and many others would have applied for a dev C if they knew they could do nothing for so long (simply so you would have a device to test with), EXCEPT, now the dev c is in the same spot... So you would end up screwed later anyways.
    How is the dev C is the same spot? you don't have to trade a device in for it, so you don't `lose` anything while you wait.

how many apps are you waiting to be approved or waiting to build? as its not like BB10 came outta nowhere, people (dev alphas or not) have had a fair while to get their code ready.
    02-21-13 05:14 PM
187 12345 ...