As the title states is there anyone to contact about this at RIM? I have been working in the agriculture business for the past 10 years...specifically the dairy industry. In the past I have been able to convert and get properly functioning versions of pocket dairy running on the Playbook OS. I would like the opportunity to continue my development with that program on BB10...as well as some other useful dairy apps in our industry. Dairy and agriculture in general have been a widely neglected area in the app field....over 60% of farmers today are also smartphone users. Any help from anyone in the know would be greatly appreciated! Would have loved to have been at the Jam session but unfortunately someone has to run the farm!
    05-03-12 12:40 AM
    You can always use the simulator.
    05-03-12 12:41 AM
    try contacting Alec Saunders on Twitter or email. I'm sure he'll be willing to help you out in some way
    ultimo likes this.
    05-03-12 12:47 AM
    I believe Alec Saunders said they are taking this on "the road" - meaning, they are going to go from town to town doing the same show that they did here for the next 6 months or so.

He did mention at the keynote (for devs) that if you couldn't make it to this show, he will be happy to hand out devices to guys down the line. I'd give him an email and explain your situation, I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

BTW - I'm located in Guelph, Ontario, and we do A LOT of internal BB Agriculture apps! We made both Pioneer and Monsanto app's. If you want to chat about it, send me a PM.
    05-03-12 08:50 AM
    They've been pretty adamant that you can't get one if you're not here.
    05-03-12 08:51 AM
    I believe Alec Saunders said they are taking this on "the road" - meaning, they are going to go from town to town doing the same show that they did here for the next 6 months or so.

He did mention at the keynote (for devs) that if you couldn't make it to this show, he will be happy to hand out devices to guys down the line. I'd give him an email and explain your situation, I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

BTW - I'm located in Guelph, Ontario, and we do A LOT of internal BB Agriculture apps! We made both Pioneer and Monsanto app's. If you want to chat about it, send me a PM.
    it'll be avaliable at the road shows (which is over 20 locations world wide). Theyve also sent quite a few to big app companies or ones which havent developed for bb yet (to encourage them tto do so)
    05-03-12 12:21 PM
    I want one too!
    05-03-12 12:37 PM
    Below is the "Official" response I received today regarding my request for a BB10 Dev Alpha device if registered, but not able to make it to BBJam:

Thank you for your correspondence. Unfortunately the Device is only available to those that attend the event and pick it up on Wednesday. These are not being shipped to anyone and cannot be picked up by friends or coworkers.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Mark LaRue
    Registration Services Team
    BlackBerry World Conference 2012
    05-03-12 12:40 PM
    Confirming what footose says, that these will be available to others.

Consider the "not available unless you attend this event" to be more of an a) CYA on their part since plans are in flux, and b) "not available unless you attend a BB10 Jam event" (my interpretation).

I asked Alec directly at lunch and he said they will take the show on the road as some sort of "BB10 Jam tour" (not quite as extensive as this one) and they will have more Dev Alpha devices to hand out at these events. That leaves open the possibility they will have to limit the numbers in some way, so perhaps not everyone will get them, but there will be more given out.
    05-03-12 04:40 PM
    I dont think it will be limited to anything but attendence. They just dont want these to start popping up on ebay. They want to id and track every one of these out there...
    05-03-12 07:18 PM
    How about a loan program? I wouldn't mind returning the item after finish testing with it. There are certain things that can't be tested with a simulator, like video chat. I recall releasing my app blindly on Playbook, without know if it would work.
    05-04-12 03:32 AM
    If someone wants to sell a Development Alpha, PM me.
    05-06-12 11:30 AM
    They've been pretty adamant that you can't get one if you're not here.
    Yup

unless you're a major channel partner you're not getting one unless you were there.

Even RIM's internal teams are lacking the devices, people who don't NEED them to further BB10 development must forfeit them for the greater good
    05-06-12 11:45 AM
    How about a loan program? I wouldn't mind returning the item after finish testing with it. There are certain things that can't be tested with a simulator, like video chat. I recall releasing my app blindly on Playbook, without know if it would work.
    Start a local DevGroup, or Join a local devGroup, and a developer evangelist will most likely attend a session and bring a devAlpha for people to test their apps on
    05-06-12 11:51 AM
    If someone wants to sell a Development Alpha, PM me.
    Good luck,

RIM gave people good incentives to hold on to the devices and not sell them
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-06-12 11:55 AM
    Good luck,

RIM gave people good incentives to hold on to the devices and not sell them
    Those incentives included:
    - Having to sign a form full of legalese
    - A permanent bar code, serial number, and "Not for sale" notice printed on the front of the device
    - A sticker on the back, that's the same as what you find on pre-release devices given to Alliance Partners, which says:
    Property of Research In Motion Limited
    All Rights Reserved
    Evaluation Unit
    Not for sale or lease

They also said that the internal BB10 builds have watermarks that appear on the screens and in all screenshots, but these devices don't have the BB10 UI software yet. (Emphasis on the "yet", from what I've been hearing. And yes, they're the same hardware RIM is using internally for BB10 development.)
    05-06-12 12:44 PM
    Not to mention you have to give it back in order to get your free real BB10 device.
    05-06-12 01:30 PM
    You can test stuff on mine if you're ever near me, and I'd be willing to test your apps on them if you send them to me.
    05-06-12 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD