Bb10 multitasking is great. Like webos before it, you can easily manage and work on a number of tasks at once. My issue is active frame previews, where the frame changes state to show latest updates and previews. This is very similar to windows phone live tiles. If I have already unlocked my phone why would i wait and look at the limited samount of info my active frame might or might not tell me. Its easier at that point to open the app. Plus the preview disguises the task behind it so I often forget where in the home screen my task (app) was placed. Anyone ellse feel the same? I just don't remember the last time I glanced at my homscreen and saw anything in an active frame preview that I needed or wasn't already aware of. I wish this could be turned off app by app.

I think somehow showing limited running app info on the lockscreen makes more sense. This way you can see info before interacting with your phone.

Posted using my Q10 via CB10
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    11-25-13 04:02 PM
    Personally, I find active frames pretty useful when I'm using more than one app at the same time for any task. But once I'm done with that app, I close it. Never had 6 active frames open at the same time. I think 4 tops.
    11-25-13 04:30 PM
    You can stop whats app from showing, and I think twitter also

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 08:41 AM
    Bb10 multitasking is great. Like webos before it, you can easily manage and work on a number of tasks at once. My issue is active frame previews, where the frame changes state to show latest updates and previews. This is very similar to windows phone live tiles. If I have already unlocked my phone why would i wait and look at the limited samount of info my active frame might or might not tell me. Its easier at that point to open the app. Plus the preview disguises the task behind it so I often forget where in the home screen my task (app) was placed. Anyone ellse feel the same? I just don't remember the last time I glanced at my homscreen and saw anything in an active frame preview that I needed or wasn't already aware of. I wish this could be turned off app by app.

I think somehow showing limited running app info on the lockscreen makes more sense. This way you can see info before interacting with your phone.

i dont think it's a gimick it allows for other info to be displayed while using / running other applications.
    Look at BlackBerry world for example.
    11-26-13 09:06 AM
    i dont think it's a gimick it allows for other info to be displayed while using / running other applications.
    Look at BlackBerry world for example.
    Yes but at the expense of hiding your previous state. When I look at my frames I'd rather see what the task I was doing looked like as that's how I will remember the task. When it flips to active frames I forget which one was the app I wanted because it looks different and I have to read the headers. I see little benift to them given the disadvantages. I just wish there was a system wide way to flip them off and just show me the previous state

11-26-13 11:52 AM
    Yes but at the expense of hiding your previous state. When I look at my frames I'd rather see what the task I was doing looked like as that's how I will remember the task. When it flips to active frames I forget which one was the app I wanted because it looks different and I have to read the headers. I see little benift to them given the disadvantages. I just wish there was a system wide way to flip them off and just show me the previous state

i feel you... i was asking myself the same thing
    spork141 likes this.
    11-26-13 09:50 PM
    I think it nice, but can't call them "active"
    No game supported in active frame ( you really need to stay at the game and watch how this game loading for minute)
    I bought z10. Because I saw BlackBerry PlayBook if you lunch camera and you will go to active frames it still will work) ))

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 10:10 PM
    For me, I feel the active frames page is a great place to glance through several, 12 or more, apps you want usually leave open, or pin, and view when returning to the device. It is quick information that would work if certain key tweaks were made. If I am working between a few apps then I am going to maximize each anyways when needed and they will be one of the recent ones so I don't consider active frames for this.

But yes, I agree that in its current state active frames does not provide any meaningful gain.
    11-27-13 03:50 AM
    Even if it is, it sells. Not for us though, if only they showed it like one.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 04:05 AM
    I feel the same thing. The active frames do help. Some times. Like my calendar up is opened all the time, let's me make some glances between flipping through apps and hub at what's coming up next in my schedule. Other than that...i have very little use for the active frame.

I think there should be a setting to let you view your last page on whatever app you're on (but wouldn't that require the developer of the app to do that?)

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:44 PM
    Active frames has its advantages I think. For me, I have two frames always open. Battery Guru and a data tracker. Battery guru's active frame is useful with battery remaining, time remaining, power consumption and temp all without opening the app to check. Data Usage Counter is the best. It switched between Mobile and Wifi data used, percent remaining of quota and it's colour coded to give a quick visual display of percentage used. All this without having to open the app to check it. I never open it and if I accidently press the x it prompts me to cancel. There are also completely useless active frames but those apps are usually only open when I'm using them so no real need for an active frame. a good example would be CB10 which I never bother seeing the active frame because I'm always in the app and I just close it after. Useful to me but I can see it being nothing special to others. I like that it is there at least and they are not all static tiles.
    Last edited by eddy_berry; 11-28-13 at 01:24 PM.
    twstd.reality likes this.
    11-27-13 11:17 PM
    They need to do something about it! Its kinda outdated to me because you can't easily switch between active frames. You always have to get to minimise the current frame and click on the other frame that you wanna switch to. It annoys me because that is not fast and efficient. Should they allow left/right gestures to switch btw active frames?
    11-27-13 11:23 PM
    Active frames has its advantages I think. For me, I have two frames always open. Battery Guru and a data tracker. Battery guru's active frame is useful with battery remaining, time remaining, power consumption and temp all without opening the app to check. Data Usage Counter is the best. It switched between Mobile and Wifi data used, percent remaining of quota and it's colour coded to give a quick visual display of percentage used. All this without having to open the app to check it. I never open it and if I accidently press the x it prompts me to cancel. There are also completely useless active frames but those apps are usually only open when I'm using them so no real need for an active frame. a good example would be CB10 which I never bother seeing the active frame because I'm always in the app and I just close it after. Useful to ke but I can see it being nothing special to others. I like that it is there at least and they are not all static tiles.
    This. And weather.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    11-27-13 11:24 PM
    Active frames has its advantages I think. For me, I have two frames always open. Battery Guru and a data tracker. Battery guru's active frame is useful with battery remaining, time remaining, power consumption and temp all without opening the app to check. Data Usage Counter is the best. It switched between Mobile and Wifi data used, percent remaining of quota and it's colour coded to give a quick visual display of percentage used. All this without having to open the app to check it. I never open it and if I accidently press the x it prompts me to cancel. There are also completely useless active frames but those apps are usually only open when I'm using them so no real need for an active frame. a good example would be CB10 which I never bother seeing the active frame because I'm always in the app and I just close it after. Useful to ke but I can see it being nothing special to others. I like that it is there at least and they are not all static tiles.
    Yes but you have to admit you might be the acception than the rule. Most users won't care enough about these things to do this. Plus with 10.2.1 the battery percentage will appear during the peak gesture.

11-28-13 08:45 AM
    Yes but you have to admit you might be the acception than the rule. Most users won't care enough about these things to do this. Plus with 10.2.1 the battery percentage will appear during the peak gesture.

I understand that, but I found a use for the gimmick as I'm sure there are many who wave their hand over their S4 to answer it. The point is that it has its uses. As for the battery percentage that is true. I have 10.2.1.1055. But I still keep Battery Guru open because I get a better idea of how my phone is using the battery throughout the day. Helps me get an idea of what my phone is doing when I'm not using it. So the active frame is not the most useful example anymore but it is still nice to have for me. A good example would be like a newsfeed or something but that is user specific and everyone will utilize the feature differently. I'm just glad it is there if we want it. Can't argue with extra features.
    11-28-13 01:29 PM
    I understand that, but I found a use for the gimmick as I'm sure there are many who wave their hand over their S4 to answer it. The point is that it has its uses. As for the battery percentage that is true. I have 10.2.1.1055. But I still keep Battery Guru open because I get a better idea of how my phone is using the battery throughout the day. Helps me get an idea of what my phone is doing when I'm not using it. So the active frame is not the most useful example anymore but it is still nice to have for me. A good example would be like a newsfeed or something but that is user specific and everyone will utilize the feature differently. I'm just glad it is there if we want it. Can't argue with extra features.
    All good points. I guess gimick is a bad word for this. Its not a gimmick. Its just that the feature has a downside and BlackBerry markets it as a feature. Which sucks to me because if like it to be off so I can see my state.

11-28-13 02:22 PM
    I don't think it's similar to tiles. It's way more organised. In Windows, the centre Windows button has to be pressed to minimise the app and then long press the arrow button to see which other app is open/we need.

In BlackBerry OS10, we swipe up, look at the active frames - if we need it, we go to it/look at it/close it. Windows has NOTHING on active frames, the former is just a gimmick - the most basic i.e the clock doesn't show time in realtime, OS10 clock's active frame does.

Posted via my beautiful red Q5
    11-28-13 05:11 PM
    I don't think it's similar to tiles. It's way more organised. In Windows, the centre Windows button has to be pressed to minimise the app and then long press the arrow button to see which other app is open/we need.

In BlackBerry OS10, we swipe up, look at the active frames - if we need it, we go to it/look at it/close it. Windows has NOTHING on active frames, the former is just a gimmick - the most basic i.e the clock doesn't show time in realtime, OS10 clock's active frame does.

You misunderstand. I'm not reffering to bb10 multitasking (which rules). I'm reffering to the feature where a minimized frame will change states to showing latest news or updates in the app. I'm saying we should be able to turn that off. If you want to see what I mean just ipen blackberry world then swipe up. In a few seconds it'll start scrolling through features apps

11-28-13 05:52 PM
    You misunderstand. I'm not reffering to bb10 multitasking (which rules). I'm reffering to the feature where a minimized frame will change states to showing latest news or updates in the app. I'm saying we should be able to turn that off. If you want to see what I mean just ipen blackberry world then swipe up. In a few seconds it'll start scrolling through features apps

What shows in the minimized frame is dependant on the dev. Some don't give any information, some give lots... some allow you to customize how often the information is updated and others don't. I, for one, really like the active frames. It makes a glance informative with no need to fully open the app.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 06:04 PM
    What shows in the minimized frame is dependant on the dev. Some don't give any information, some give lots... some allow you to customize how often the information is updated and others don't. I, for one, really like the active frames. It makes a glance informative with no need to fully open the app.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. But I wish I could turn them off. I don't like how it "hides" my app state and then I don't know where the app I wanted wad because all I see is ads and updates I don't care for.

11-28-13 06:07 PM
    Now that's a different story. I got emotional over "like windows tiles". Dependent on the developer and in app world's case, it's BlackBerry themselves.

11-29-13 03:48 AM
    Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 04:06 AM
    Yup. But I wish I could turn them off. I don't like how it "hides" my app state and then I don't know where the app I wanted wad because all I see is ads and updates I don't care for.

Good idea. Perhaps we should suggest this to BlackBerry and users could also choose if they want to just display the minimized app in active frames and preferably configurable per app.

I am an app developer, too. I have an ebook reader. The active frames show the book titles and current chapter title and page number. I think it's quite cool.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-08-13 04:10 AM
    I pretty much do not use them. Like mentioned, when multitasking I will have several.open but always close when done.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 06:46 PM