Hey guys, i'm back asking you another question. This thread might seem a bit confusing but bear with me. If I find a better way to word it then I will edit it.

Would you like BlackBerry to make their own Tasker called BlackBerry Triggers?
    Would you use an automated task manager?
    What is tasker? I will give you more details in the second post what tasker actually is.

Yes there are some apps that do this sort of thing on BB10 but sadly they don't work so well. Especially turning stuff back off (wifi/bluetooth) or have an issue with location/geofencing.

To make BlackBerry Triggers a bit less confusing, they should do the IFTTT and Zapier way of doing triggers. ("if this then do that" type way).

These are what needs to be included:
    - 3rd party app support so devs can integrate their apps with it

Note:below I'm just saying a specific trigger underneath the app. It can be paired up with another trigger to make a function:

Example: If i go to this address my Wifi turns on, When I leave that address my Wifi Turns off. This is wifi being paired up with location.

APPS - Launch Music App When Headset Inserted
    APPS - Start the Day with a Particular Application
    BT/WIFI - Automatically turn off Bluetooth or Wifi (based on location)
    WIFI - Turn off Wi-Fi after it's been disconnected for 60 seconds
    CALENDAR - Mute in Meetings
    LOCKSREEN - Endable/disable PIN lock based on Wifi connection or car mode
    SMS - Auto-Respond To SMSs At Night
    VOLUME - Always ring loudly for call from important contact
    ASSISTANT - Use your phone as a morning assistant
    BATTERY - Juice Defender inspired Battery saving
    PROFILE - Busy Mode v2: Full automation for meetings / driving / busy (loads of options)
    PROFILE - Power Plug In - Choose Car/Home/Night Mode
    PROFILE - Blackberry-like Sound Profiles

All Core BB10 Apps needs to have a bunch of trigger and actions: (i'll write all the core apps and what possible functions in each of the apps, feel free to contribute. There are infinite options which you will see in the next post)

Remember
    - after being notified of a note and i either delete the note or don't look at it remind me again tomorrow
    - when i get to the grocery store (location), open my "Grocery List"

Calendar
    - if i haven't left my meeting (location) within 10minutes of my next meeting send a message to the person I have a meeting with next

File Manager/photo/video/music
    - when i take a picture upload it to dropbox
    - when i plug in my headphones open up my music app
    - when i tilt my phone while watching a video, turn volume on max

Profiles:
    - when at work turn my phone on vibrate
    - on weekends turn my phone on loud

Browser
    - send myself an email of all search history

Email
    - after sending email to a specific contact then delete it
    - upload bills onto docs to go spreadsheet

BBM/SMS
    - send a message at this time or location
    - Send my location when i get to a specific location
    - send my eta at a specific time ( using location/traffic data on BB maps)
    - notify me when a specific person changes their BBM status

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ke-see-952481/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...member-952306/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post10871820
    Last edited by khehl; 09-21-14 at 09:42 PM.
    09-19-14 05:24 PM
    Alright in this post I'll talk more about Tasker Android app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....taskerm&hl=en

There are more Apps like Tasker
    Locale: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.locale&hl=en

It performs tasks (sets of actions) based on contexts (application, time, date, location, event, gesture) in user-defined profiles or in clickable or timer home screen widgets.

This has a bunch of Tasker Combinations
    Profiles - Tasker Wiki

Last edited by khehl; 09-19-14 at 05:41 PM.
    09-19-14 05:28 PM
    You should be an active user at https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/
    I'd really like to see such features.
    Make sure to post them in the beta zone too.

~Omar Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.1154
    09-19-14 05:43 PM
    You should be an active user at https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/
    I'd really like to see such features.
    Make sure to post them in the beta zone too.

~Omar Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.1154
    I do like getting input from here first before I do anything with it though. icanmakeitbetter is getting too cluttered for me...
    Last edited by khehl; 09-19-14 at 06:28 PM.
    09-19-14 05:49 PM
    OP... you have some solid ideas... I support you a hundred percent

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    09-19-14 05:59 PM
    Hopefully BlackBerry sees these ideas and implements them in its next generation OS... hopefully 10.4

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:00 PM
    It would be great to have this for 10. I have used Tasker with my pebble watch which threw up a few problems like constantly calling out last dialled numbers from watch so to have this built for BlackBerry would be a very nice addition. Hope this is built

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 02:47 AM
    Like where you're going with this, OP.
    Also take a look at this beta app with very similar intentions. It's currently in BBW.

Would you like a Blackberry Triggers app like Tasker (automated task manager) from Android?-img_20140920_105856.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(2665739) likes this.
    09-20-14 04:02 AM
    BlackBerry would have to make this themselves, because they do not allow developers the deep access needed to perform most of the triggers you suggested.

In fact that is why I gave up on the Action Triggers app. It cannot change any important aspects like Radio status, and checking for triggers constantly it is a terrible strain on the device.

The first thing that would need to happen here is there should be a massive upgrade of APIs for the OS. Otherwise you would just end up with an app/service that only looks good on paper.

BlackBerry 10 signed @ C0007CC89
    anon(5818411) and Soul_Est like this.
    09-20-14 04:22 AM
    BlackBerry would have to make this themselves, because they do not allow developers the deep access needed to perform most of the triggers you suggested.

In fact that is why I gave up on the Action Triggers app. It cannot change any important aspects like Radio status, and checking for triggers constantly it is a terrible strain on the device.

The first thing that would need to happen here is there should be a massive upgrade of APIs for the OS. Otherwise you would just end up with an app/service that only looks good on paper.

As a developper I can confirm this, you won't be able to toggle most of the trigger you want because of the lack of trigger api, i've been waiting for at least a year to finish my wifi manager, just waiting until blackberry give us more capability

Posted via CB10
    anon(5818411) and Soul_Est like this.
    09-20-14 04:27 AM
    I proposed a Task Scheduler on icanmakeitbetter and hopefully it will be extended to handle such tasks as the OP indicated. And above all I hope BlackBerry will cook it in the system, not a 3rd party app

Check out my photography channel
    09-20-14 04:45 AM
    Like where you're going with this, OP.
    Also take a look at this beta app with very similar intentions. It's currently in BBW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140920_105856.png 
Views:	748 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	299012

Posted via CB10

@m1kr0 I didn't want to name any apps since devs get angry when i do. BB10 is not open like android which means blackberry needs to do it themselves.

@MrGlenn exactly right, thatt's why i said in the OP that there are apps but they aren't good enough due to the APIs given.
    09-20-14 09:46 AM
    I proposed a Task Scheduler on icanmakeitbetter and hopefully it will be extended to handle such tasks as the OP indicated. And above all I hope BlackBerry will cook it in the system, not a 3rd party app

Check out my photography channel
    It can't be a 3rd party app, if it was it would seem half baked even though the dev used all the access given.

It's impossible to make a good automated task manager as a 3rd party dev.
    09-20-14 09:47 AM
    No bb user would want this because that means RIM would have to track your location lol

09-20-14 10:44 AM
    No bb user would want this because that means RIM would have to track your location lol

lol hopefully that was sarcasm.. there are a bunch of skeptics on this forum.
    09-20-14 12:34 PM
    Maybe a slightly more pointed question, would I *pay* for a BlackBerry Tasker app?

At around, say, �2.00, yes. More than that, probably not for the use I'd get out of it personally.

Android Tasker allows a load of other utilities to be emulated via scripts and there's a community sharing them, but I found I just wasn't interested enough to take the time.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 04:28 AM
    Maybe a slightly more pointed question, would I *pay* for a BlackBerry Tasker app?

At around, say, �2.00, yes. More than that, probably not for the use I'd get out of it personally.

Android Tasker allows a load of other utilities to be emulated via scripts and there's a community sharing them, but I found I just wasn't interested enough to take the time.

Posted via CB10
    There shouldn't be a price, it will just help people be more productive then they are now. (enterprise and consumers).
    Free will help blackberrry's ecosystem which is much needed.

That's why I said an, "if this then that method." Like IFTTT which is straight forward.

Another way to say it, "Trigger then actions" from zappier which is same thing.

Tasker can be confusing but it doesn't have to be. Locale is also straight forward.

When BlackBerry makes an app like this, it has to be absolutely user friendly. This is the type of app I would throw into beta zone first.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:28 AM
    Sorry I didn't properly read the thread from the top and didn't realise you were offering to write it (and also I don't know how those html codes got in there)

My response reads a bit dismissively and that wasn't my intention

In principle it's a great idea and not a small amount of work I'd imagine, but from previous use of Tasker, my circumstances just meant I didn't end up having a compelling reason to use it after I bought it.

Fingers crossed you can get the access you'd need to make it work as you'd like.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:39 AM
    I've been waiting for someone to mention something like this. I support it 100%. Props to anyone who can make this! I'll gladly support any way that i can!
    09-21-14 09:48 AM
    Sorry I didn't properly read the thread from the top and didn't realise you were offering to write it (and also I don't know how those html codes got in there)

My response reads a bit dismissively and that wasn't my intention

In principle it's a great idea and not a small amount of work I'd imagine, but from previous use of Tasker, my circumstances just meant I didn't end up having a compelling reason to use it after I bought it.

Fingers crossed you can get the access you'd need to make it work as you'd like.

Posted via CB10
    I've been waiting for someone to mention something like this. I support it 100%. Props to anyone who can make this! I'll gladly support any way that i can!
    I am not trying to make this app or ask 3rd party devs to make it. I think BlackBerry should make it since the APIs aren't open enough for third party devs to make it (action triggers bb10 ap is an example). Only BlackBerry themselves have the deep integration access that is needed to make this app stable, reliable and feature rich due to APIs given.

The only reason why 3rd party devs can make automated task managers on android is because the OS is so open. So with this, blackberry doesn't need to open up the OS to 3rd party devs to do it.
    09-23-14 09:06 AM
    How about an app which open other apps just long enough to get notifications and then automatically closes?

Think of it as a push notification replacement until blackberry get their act together

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 03:36 PM
    I would actually love a BlackBerry Native app that does this really well. Saves me worrying about if I turn Bluetooth off after leaving University etc. Easy to do, just easier if its done automatically

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 03:50 PM
    How about an app which open other apps just long enough to get notifications and then automatically closes?

Think of it as a push notification replacement until blackberry get their act together

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry does do Push Notifications in an awful and not a pretty looking way. Imagine having 50 headless apps with 20 notifications on each per day. The HUB will become a mess and look messy with that crappy "Middle App Launcher Screen" and the SAME bell beside every notification.

Quick reply only works with BB inhouse apps is ridiculous, they were the first OS to officially push Quick Reply but now the last to completing it.

What you said could easily be a Trigger/Automated Task.
    10-06-14 10:12 AM
    I would actually love a BlackBerry Native app that does this really well. Saves me worrying about if I turn Bluetooth off after leaving University etc. Easy to do, just easier if its done automatically

Posted via CB10
    Exactly they aren't opening the OS deep enough for 3rd party devs to do this. All the 3rd party apps in app world have no problem turning on bluetooth or wifi when getting to a location but turning off is a problem. Sometimes it doesn't even do anything at all.
    10-06-14 10:13 AM
    I apologize for reviving an old thread.

If anyone is still interested in developing an application like Tasker on BB, feel free to re-use some of the code from ActionTrigger - source code is available on GitHub under a GPLv3 license. Probably the most useful code you can salvage are the actual API calls to BB for the individual actions and triggers. (github.com/matusfaro/actiontrigger/tree/master/actiontriggercommon/include/actiontrigger/controller/services)

Keep in mind: This was a hobby project of mine to gain a little more experience with c++ and the resulting source code is full of bugs and memory leaks. I didn't find a significant demand in the community with my application to make up for the time I spent developing it so I decided to keep it free and open source and hopefully someone can benefit from the work I've done.
    fyjpm likes this.
    01-25-15 12:04 PM
28 12