04-02-14 05:43 PM
36 12
tools
    App Name: Audiobooks

Summary:
    Listen to a wonderful collection of classic audio books that are in the public domain thanks to the incredible dedication of thousands of volunteers at Librivox!
    Enjoy over 5000 classic audio books for FREE!

Link: BlackBerry World - Audiobooks

Price: $0.99

03-06-13 04:07 PM
    Thanks so much for listing my app here! There is a lot more coming including downloading over WiFi, book reviews, and integration with social networks. If there are any features that you would like me to add, please respond here or email me (james@greensafe.ca).

Warm regards,

James
    AbsoluteT23 and jrohland like this.
    03-11-13 04:21 PM
    Thanks so much for listing my app here! There is a lot more coming including downloading over WiFi, book reviews, and integration with social networks. If there are any features that you would like me to add, please respond here or email me (james@greensafe.ca).

Warm regards,

James
    Good to hear regarding upcoming updates, will look forward to them.
    03-11-13 04:40 PM
    There is a lot more coming including downloading over WiFi
    How do you download currently? Do you have to load them on from a PC?
    03-12-13 04:46 PM
    Currently the chapters are streamed from the Internet. When initially making the app I didn't see the value of storing books to the device as most people wouldn't listen to a book more than once. However, given that many people are on restrictive data plans and not connected to WiFi, I will soon release a version where you can download the books when you're connected to WiFi so that the audiobooks don't eat into your data plan. I hope this makes sense.
    cjterminator likes this.
    03-12-13 07:59 PM
    Currently the chapters are streamed from the Internet. When initially making the app I didn't see the value of storing books to the device as most people wouldn't listen to a book more than once. However, given that many people are on restrictive data plans and not connected to WiFi, I will soon release a version where you can download the books when you're connected to WiFi so that the audiobooks don't eat into your data plan. I hope this makes sense.
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely pick it up when downloading/storing is available so I can use it in the car, on the bus, etc. without eating my data.
    03-12-13 10:04 PM
    I've just released a new version of my Audiobooks app for the Z10 and Q10. It should now allow for downloading and storing audio books as well as streaming them. It also has better discovery features.

As always, if you have an issue, please let me know your BlackBerry OS version and I'll try to fix it ASAP.

Wonderful native "Audiobooks"  available in Blackberry World-img_00000046.jpg

Wonderful native "Audiobooks"  available in Blackberry World-img_00000048.jpg

Wonderful native "Audiobooks"  available in Blackberry World-img_00000052.jpg

Wonderful native "Audiobooks"  available in Blackberry World-img_00000049.jpg

Hope you like it and if you love it please write a review on BB World!

Thanks,

James
    05-02-13 04:28 PM
    Downloads are allowed on Memory card?
    05-02-13 04:42 PM
    Downloads are restricted to device storage for the time being. However, after listening to an audio book it is very easy to delete them (to save space). If people want to be able to store books on the memory card instead I can add in the option. Let me know.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-02-13 04:51 PM
    Wow man, really solid job on the app. Looks like the music store in app world. If only more devs did what you did. Keep it up!

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-02-13 04:57 PM
    Thanks Johnny! Feedback like that keeps me going.
    05-02-13 05:00 PM
    Yes it will be greatly appreciated to have the ability to save the books on memory card also.

Downloads are restricted to device storage for the time being. However, after listening to an audio book it is very easy to delete them (to save space). If people want to be able to store books on the memory card instead I can add in the option. Let me know.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    05-02-13 06:29 PM
    I dont even read books on phones ,but this is what its about instead of beggin unintrested devs.Get alternatives built by other devs.I think us BB users we have to really take things into our own hands like Gogibbons did.And get the apps we want built for us.

No complaints about not being native just good apps built for BB users great work gogibbons.
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-02-13 06:56 PM
    Which languages does the titles support? If it varies o depends on the title, which are the more common ones? I'm asking about Spanish or french, assume English is the default one.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 03:15 AM
    The app is well done. Thanks for spending the time to get it right.

Put me in the SD card camp. I would prefer to store any book I'm reading on the card.

Good app; I'd recommend it to anyone that listens ti audio books.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:38 AM
    You are right about English being the default language for titles. Here is a breakdown of audiobooks by language:

English: 5553
    German: 349
    French: 133
    Dutch: 123
    Spanish: 48
    Italian: 38
    Portuguese: 35
    Chinese: 16
    Japanese: 16
    Hebrew: 13
    Swedish: 9
    Russian: 8

The titles of some of the books in French are:

Comte de Monte-Cristo, Le (Dumas, Alexandre)
    Fauteuil Hante, Le (Leroux, Gaston)
    Fables de La Fontaine, livre 01 (La Fontaine, Jean de)
    Cinq semaines en ballon (Verne, Jules)
    Liaisons dangereuses, Les (Laclos, Choderlos de)
    Comédie Humaine, La : Le Pčre Goriot (Balzac, Honoré de)
    Mare au diable, La (Sand, George)
    Discours sur l’origine et les fondements de l’inégalité parmi les hommes (Rousseau, Jean-Jacques)
    Dictionnaire des idées reçues (Flaubert, Gustave)
    Kéraban-le-tętu (Verne, Jules)
    Bible (LSG, 1910) NT 04: Évangile selon Jean (Louis Segond Bible)
    Carmen et la Vénus d'Ille (Mérimée, Prosper)
    Tribulations d'un chinois en Chine, Les (Verne, Jules)
    Monsieur Lecoq (Gaboriau, Émile)
    Bruges-la-Morte (Rodenbach, Georges)
    Ŕ se tordre (Allais, Alphonse)
    Maîtres sonneurs, Les (Sand, George)
    Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours, Le (Verne, Jules)
    Viviane (Lorrain, Jean)

Some Spanish Titles:

Fábulas de Esopo, Las, Vol 1 (Esopo)
    Simplemente Darío (Darío, Ruben)
    Libro I de la Historia de Heródoto (Heródoto de Halicarnaso)
    Zaragoza (Pérez Galdós, Benito)
    Bailén (Pérez Galdós, Benito)
    Seńor de Bembibre, El (Gil y Carrasco, Enrique)
    Diablo Cojuelo, El (Vélez de Guevara, Luis)
    Gerona (Pérez Galdós, Benito)
    Relatos y Cuentos 002 (Various)
    Napoleón en Chamartín (Pérez Galdós, Benito)
    Corte de Carlos IV, La (Pérez Galdós, Benito)
    El Capitán Veneno (Alarcón, Pedro Antonio de)
    Nariz de un notario, La (About, Edmond)

The audio books are all recorded by volunteers at LibriVox. Thus, the collection is growing and every app update will usually include more Public Domain books.

I hope this helps,

James
    05-03-13 10:29 AM
    Next version features: please help me decide!!

I'll definitely add the option of saving books to memory cards as requested by niss63 and cjterminator.

Here are some other possibilities that I've been brainstorming:
    - Sync your audiobook library to an online site so you can listen on the computer using a very similar interface
    - Add audio book reviews/ratings
    - Add support for external audio books (drag mp3 files into a folder on the memory card and they'll show up in the app)
    - Add in book text. This would allow you to flip between listening and reading on your phone.

Do you want any of these features? If so, please post and I'll try to add in the features based on popularity.

James
    P. S. If you liked the app, please write a review in BB World as it will help the app get more visibility and enable me to add in these features and keep coding for BlackBerry. Thanks!!!
    05-03-13 10:58 AM
    Great info! I'll definitely give it a try next week, it's gonna be nice to listen a book while I'm on vacation.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-03-13 02:18 PM
    If I had to choose one, I'd want the support for external audio books. Followed closely by the syncing your audiobook library to a website. However, if you're willing to put all, it's good too.
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-03-13 02:24 PM
    Thanks Johnny! Feedback like that keeps me going.
    Well deserved my friend!

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-03-13 03:47 PM
    I love this app. Things I would like to see : Media Card ability, and the ability to delete before completing...... just in case. I downloaded several books to try out and accidently chose a title I didn't want. It is then that I realized you can't delete individual titles unless you are finished. Annoying, for I ended up deleting entire library and starting over.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 03:55 PM
    Hi dragyn451, thanks for your feedback! You should be able to delete books individually. Try tapping the garbage can icon in the "My Books" tab. Then, press the garbage next to the book to delete a specific title. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

James
    05-03-13 04:07 PM
    Next version features: please help me decide!!

I'll definitely add the option of saving books to memory cards as requested by niss63 and cjterminator.

Here are some other possibilities that I've been brainstorming:
    - Sync your audiobook library to an online site so you can listen on the computer using a very similar interface
    - Add support for external audio books (drag mp3 files into a folder on the memory card and they'll show up in the app)
    - Add in book text. This would allow you to flip between listening and reading on your phone.

Do you want any of these features? If so, please post and I'll try to add in the features based on popularity.

James
    P. S. If you liked the app, please write a review in BB World as it will help the app get more visibility and enable me to add in these features and keep coding for BlackBerry. Thanks!!!
    You are amazing! Not many Devs ask what we want...and your moving forward with improvements. Kudos!

Based on the current situation with audible com, I would say to add support for external audio books next, after the SD card storage. That'll make your app appealing to audible.com subscribers that choose to strip the DRM from the books they've purchased.

After that, move forward with your other ideas. They're all good and will make your app really impress.

Posted via CB10
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-03-13 04:23 PM
    In addition to saving on Memory card, I would love to see following also (Priority wise):

- Add support for external audio books (drag mp3 files into a folder on the memory card and they'll show up in the app) - This will be wonderful addition.
    - Sync your audiobook library to an online site so you can listen on the computer using a very similar interface (It will be great to sync to dropbox/box accounts also).

Finally, it will be great to have all these features
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-03-13 04:35 PM
    How can we get you built for BB status???
    GoGibbons likes this.
    05-03-13 05:33 PM
36 12