10-28-13 08:15 AM
    Wild guess?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 08:16 AM
    Vehicle tracking, spy tool.
    10-28-13 09:53 AM
    So they can track where you like to late night Skype lol
    10-28-13 03:27 PM
    cant believe this was asked in a serious manner. Guess some people don't follow the news. Anyways, couple things... first, just 3 letters... NSA. Second is 5 letters. PRISM.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-28-13 03:36 PM
    Seriously I have been struggling with this for some time, its really unnecessary and I hope someone can provide an explanation and way to disable Skype constantly querying the device location even when its tile is closed (but is running as Android process).
    10-28-13 06:45 PM
    There is no way to disable and the explanation is simple. Microsoft gives the NSA full access to their servers. Skype has back doors for the NSA to track and listen to the conversations. The NSA is tracking your phone. This is why the location is done. If you'd like to not have this you may disable the gps in your settings while using Skype. Even then there is no guarantee. It is just software after all. There's no real way to tell if the gps is still sending location data to Microsoft/NSA even if you have location data turned off.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-28-13 08:23 PM
    Sorry but i don't really think NSA or anyone else at that level to require developers (such as Skype) to use regular API which prompts the user about being tracked when they want to track something. That data already comes from the carriers who have accurate information about devices location as soon as it goes online on their network. This is something else which is Skype specific. I wonder what's the official BlackBerry response on this.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 09:36 AM
    Sorry but i don't really think NSA or anyone else at that level to require developers (such as Skype) to use regular API which prompts the user about being tracked when they want to track something. That data already comes from the carriers who have accurate information about devices location as soon as it goes online on their network. This is something else which is Skype specific. I wonder what's the official BlackBerry response on this.

Posted via CB10
    So when you leave the country or your service area and aren't on the network what then? They are recording your location and movements on Skype. It could also be for advertising purposes. But mostly to record data about you and your movements. Who you are talking to in what locations. As I said. Turn off location services when using Skype. That's what I do. And if we ever get a native app, you can just deny it location services.

Auto corrected by BB10
    10-30-13 10:08 AM
    Why is it in general that every android app I use has all types on permissions turned on and I can't turn any of them off. It annoys me android apps do this. Yes the nsa collection stuff is one aspect of preferring a BlackBerry but also I don't want this app connecting to my gps every time it's open just so it can drain my battery quicker. I like to shut off all permissions except the ones that are truly needed to make it function

From my z30
    FF22 likes this.
    11-02-13 08:40 PM
    Has anyone tried using Nova Launcher to access the Android settings, and disabling location access? It may disable any android app from grabbing your location without requiring you to mess with your BlackBerry settings.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 10:04 PM
    Skype uses your GPS to identity your location. This way it knows whether or not you need to pay for credits.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 10:19 PM
    There is no way to disable and the explanation is simple. Microsoft gives the NSA full access to their servers. Skype has back doors for the NSA to track and listen to the conversations. The NSA is tracking your phone. This is why the location is done. If you'd like to not have this you may disable the gps in your settings while using Skype. Even then there is no guarantee. It is just software after all. There's no real way to tell if the gps is still sending location data to Microsoft/NSA even if you have location data turned off.
    Fact or opinion?
    11-03-13 01:19 AM
    Fact or opinion?
    I suppose it depends on if you believe the leaked documents from Snowden or not... in the documents it reported how Google and Microsoft among other ISP's and such give NSA direct access to their servers. It's terrifying when you think about that and how Xbox one was going to require you to always be connected to the Internet and you couldn't disconnect the kinect or block the camera on it. Chew on that for a bit and you can really see how bad things have truly gotten in the US.... I don't even know if I want to come back to the states now.

Auto corrected by BB10
    11-03-13 01:49 AM
    I suppose it depends on if you believe the leaked documents from Snowden or not... in the documents it reported how Google and Microsoft among other ISP's and such give NSA direct access to their servers. It's terrifying when you think about that and how Xbox one was going to require you to always be connected to the Internet and you couldn't disconnect the kinect or block the camera on it. Chew on that for a bit and you can really see how bad things have truly gotten in the US.... I don't even know if I want to come back to the states now.

Auto corrected by BB10
    Well to be fair this is not solely the US, though their policies do allow them to do a lot more, but UK, Canada Australia and new Zealand also participate in this and collaborate in what they call "five eyes". Tho harper is trying to make it more like the states with policies to require ISPs to watch your online activity for them and report any illegal downloading and such. Telus has also been vocal about police abuse of wire tapping cell phones so at least one Corp is standing up to them. But in the end all out info whether it's Facebook, Skype, Hotmail, (as Snowden said any American mega company) gets stored as meta data and stored for nsa to go through. As for Skype app we can't shut it off since it's a android port. But even if we could it wouldn't matter since it goes through Skype servers and would log IP details anyways

From my z30
    11-03-13 03:20 AM