I've been considering the insanity around Instagram not being available on BlackBerry and I simply don't understand it.. I've used it and it's a convenient way to take and share photos, but there are a lot of other take-and-share apps, and I don't understand the madness over filters.. They can be fun, but fundamentally, most are just using the effects to cover up for poor quality cell phone cameras and poor user photographic technique in the majority of cases (for the record, I am what they refer to as a serious amateur photographer- I do use my camera phone (and the z10 camera is not bad as cell phone cameras go), but for "real photography" I bring out one of my full frame DSLRs and the big honking lens, and I have a high end PC with the latest Photoshop and a big RAID NAS storage box).. If all you really want is to play around with the artistic side of filters, BB10's built in editor has a number of filters included and there are a whole bunch of apps to do filters as well, so at the end of the day, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.. Why do you *need* this specific app vs any of the other alternatives around?

I'm as much of a technophile as the next guy, but I also realize that unlike food or air, I don't actually *need* any of this tech to survive.. Having a phone that can connect me to the rest of the world wherever I am is great, but I'm not going to die without it and if it doesn't have a certain app, it doesn't negate the fundamental value of the connectivity I get from the phone, and it's not as if what we're talking about is a "world peace app" or a "fix all the problems with the environment app", it's an app to mangle your bad photos into something that maybe looks a bit better and then share them, but how does having vs not having this app or any other app really change your life? Can we please have some perspective here?

Comments? Why all the madness?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 07:13 AM
    Instagram has a social network aspect. It's like Twitter. You don't need it, cause you can e-mail or text people, but it's mighty handy for some. You get to follow your friends, and they can follow you.

As for filters: I agree. Anything but some subtle color correction or historgram adjustments and perhaps the odd vignette now and then is overkill for me.

The word "need" is used far too often in place of "want". Nobody needs Instagram, except Instagram themselves.
    06-21-13 08:33 AM
    To be honest, I have no idea why people bother with social media apps like facebook, twitter, instagram and etc... It's a colossal waste of time...
    06-21-13 01:59 PM
    I don't really need anything, but I would like Google to pull their finger out and bring maps, plus etc to BB10

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 03:05 PM