Several will ask for permissions to shared files, contacts, bbm ect.

Although the app may be as simple as a gas tracker.

And when you deny the permissions it still works perfectly fine?

What gives?

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-01-14 05:36 AM
    You might not think they need certain permission but sometimes they do. For instance your gas tracker might need BBM access to "share" a good gas price with your friends. Now some do ask for more than they need and many times that is due to BB pushing certain features for devs to use. BB wants every app to interact with BB if they can for instance. Other times its just lazy coding from the devs. Just make sure you review them before installing to make sure nothing is accessing personal data when it shouldnt so you stay safe
    app_Developer and FF22 like this.
    05-01-14 05:43 AM
    I, too, find some Permission Requests much too invasive. I am not into the Social Media craze of sharing everything I do, see or think. I don't want to share everything with bbm. I don't want apps looking over my emails, phone calls, contacts, etc. Especially, when the main purpose of the app is something totally different.

And if BB is pushing this, I object (like that makes any difference). They can't seem to decide if they are an Enterprise-oriented company where privacy should be paramount or a Teenie-booper company where STICKERS are so very important.
    05-01-14 09:44 AM
    Malware, bloatware, including features no one asked for and slowing down the app. This is another reason why BB10 is better than Android, you can turn these permissions off. For Android apps, it's all or nothing!
    05-01-14 11:14 AM