It has been pretty quiet on the apps front from Blackberry since the release of the Q10. Does anyone know where to find the juicy rumours of what is in the pipeline as far as app development? (either third party or Blackberry themselves).

Apps are not the end all, be all for me but nice to get some info on what direction BBRY is taking app wise. Not going to lie though, was a little p*ssd when they announced the Rdio app (twice!) and it still isn't available.

With the rise of apps like Vine, Snapchat, Instagram, and now video for Instagram, do you think BBRY is less concerned with getting those apps on their platform and more focused on building BBM to compete? Just a question.
    06-25-13 01:05 PM
    Investors behind snapchat, Instagram etc don't see a point in developing for BlackBerry. The idea has been iOs and Android.

I'm terms of apps I am still waiting for native business apps. Where are they? Let's see some apps unique to BlackBerry 10!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 01:30 PM
    They are never coming to BlackBerry.
    06-25-13 01:31 PM
    I guess an investor has a much different mandate so I can understand why the focus on just iOS and Android. I do think that BBRY has a great opportunity with BBM on the other platforms to compete.

Some more business apps would be great too. An app that would allow me to connect to my simply accounting software to review reports would be great. I am surprised how much I actually use the Docs to Go.

Homo Erectus, Do you say they won't come to BBRY because of the investors as well or for different reasons?
    06-25-13 01:43 PM
    That's a pretty strong comment to make. The decision to come or not to come are driven by business. If it makes business sense to write apps for bb10, they will, if however, they see little or no business benefits, they simply won't come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    06-25-13 06:08 PM
    I think they're hiding behind that preposition ;^)

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 07:40 PM
    Some more business apps would be great too. An app that would allow me to connect to my simply accounting software to review reports would be great. I am surprised how much I actually use the Docs to Go.
    Yeah, I'm so happy BBRY included Docs to Go for free. Reading and editing MS Office documents is as core business app productivity as it gets.

A iOS turboscan-like app would be great.
    06-25-13 09:49 PM
    While many of us often feel this way as well, the reality is that is not necessarily the case.

Vine (Twitter), Snapchat, Instagram (Facebook), etc are businesses. They work just like any other business does. They invest capital, and expect some return on their investment. Developing a mobile application takes alot of time, money, and resources that could otherwise be working on somewhere else. The decision to invest large amounts of money in one direction or another lays in the hands of executive members that must "keep their ear to the ground" and use the information that they have available to them to make these difficult decisions.

Many factors play into the decision of whether or not to support a particular mobile platform. Sales numbers are a big indicator, stock price, and even quite often personal preferences play into it.

But probably the #2 factor (behind sales figures) is customer demand. If you're the captain of the Snapchat ship, and you're really not seeing a whole heck of alot of feedback from your customer base asking when your app will be available on BB10, you might just stick with the notion that Blackberrys are used for business, and just play it safe with iOS and Android (which are no-brainers).

You want these developers to change their minds and their perception? Instead of posting here your dismay that these apps aren't available on BB10, direct that energy to those who can actually do something about it - the developers themselves!

Don't have the contact info for your favourite app? See the thread in my signature.
    06-26-13 07:24 AM
    While many of us often feel this way as well, the reality is that is not necessarily the case.

Vine (Twitter), Snapchat, Instagram (Facebook), etc are businesses. They work just like any other business does. They invest capital, and expect some return on their investment. Developing a mobile application takes alot of time, money, and resources that could otherwise be working on somewhere else. The decision to invest large amounts of money in one direction or another lays in the hands of executive members that must "keep their ear to the ground" and use the information that they have available to them to make these difficult decisions.

Many factors play into the decision of whether or not to support a particular mobile platform. Sales numbers are a big indicator, stock price, and even quite often personal preferences play into it.

But probably the #2 factor (behind sales figures) is customer demand. If you're the captain of the Snapchat ship, and you're really not seeing a whole heck of alot of feedback from your customer base asking when your app will be available on BB10, you might just stick with the notion that Blackberrys are used for business, and just play it safe with iOS and Android (which are no-brainers).

You want these developers to change their minds and their perception? Instead of posting here your dismay that these apps aren't available on BB10, direct that energy to those who can actually do something about it - the developers themselves!
    Well said pcondello. All the more reason for BBRY to focus on building BBM as a social platform to compete. BBM was the go to social app at one time and they could probably do it again.
    06-26-13 03:35 PM
    While I can agree with a lot that's been said, I honestly believe it's either corporate laziness or just a complete lack of desire to support the platform.

Why do I say this? You can't tell me that the "big name" apps - Instagram, Netflix, etc - weren't a priority by BlackBerry. I'd go so far as to even say that it would seem reasonable for BlackBerry to offer to port the Andorid versions of these apps (such as many have already successfully sideloaded) for them, with little intervention by the company itself. And what do we have? Nothing official. I don't blame BlackBerry. I blame the respective companies.

I say the "customer demand" arguments for these companies is just an excuse. How long does it take someone at a Port-a-Thon to port the *majority* of Android apps to BB10? VERY little time. VERY little effort. From a business standpoint, the ROI would have been a no-brainer.

I'm just as frustrated as most about the app situation, and I could care less about these specific apps. If I watch Netflix, it's on a TV, not my phone. But I get it; not everyone is like me.
    06-26-13 03:47 PM
    I don't know about the legality of BBRY porting other people's apps without their knowledge, and serving them up on BBWorld. Yes, people are doing it all the time and side-loading it themselves, but that's not what we're talking about here. If BBRY ported Netflix themselves, who would they say the author is, Netflix Inc? Research In Motion?

The answer to the app gap is not for BBRY to single-handedly bring every single app everyone ever wanted themselves to their own platform. The point of creating an ecosystem is for others to come in and bring the applications, with the intention that they'll make money investing in the new platform.

The fact remains, even though some of these developers can literally open their application to BB10 in a "matter of hours", they're still not convinced those couple hours of development time are worth the energy.

Once again WHY? Because they don't think they'll get a return on that investment.
    Once again WHY? Because they don't think Blackberry will succeed as a platform.
    Once again WHY? Because they don't think Blackberry has many users.
    Once again WHY? Because THEY DON'T HEAR OF ANY DEMAND FROM THEIR USER BASE (or enough to bring it onto their rader).
    06-26-13 07:32 PM