How much access are they getting? Just their app specific folder or to everything else?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 11:49 AM
    It depends on the app. If you're getting a photo editing app, for example, they get access to photos. If an app requests access to something odd, I don't install it.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    10-08-13 11:56 AM
    I agree. It depends on the type of app and what functions you downloaded the app for.
    It could be a multitude of folders it has access to.
    If you want to view, copy/paste, edit, or even share a file with the app it needs the permission to do so.
    10-08-13 12:10 PM
    BTW. Did I mention that out of all your avatars, I have always liked this one the most QB!
    You sassy Cuban-Irish thing you...
    10-08-13 12:14 PM
    That is what I'm wondering about.. will those photo apps get access to our other files?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 01:21 PM
    That is what I'm wondering about.. will those photo apps get access to our other files?

Posted via CB10
    Technically/legally speaking, they do. The question is whether they actually do access them or not.
    10-08-13 01:40 PM
    That's right. Folder and file access is typical of any app that needs to read and save files. Especially since you can theoretically save a file anywhere on your device - like if you want it in some other folder for whatever reason.

And honestly, that alone means nothing. Pretty much every single app on a PC has the same kind of access.

Posted via CB10
    fyreball likes this.
    10-08-13 02:46 PM
    So I guess the main question is, it is ok?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 05:35 AM
    What if the apps itself can access the device's files and systems invisibly?
    10-10-13 05:48 AM
    Again, if you allow an app to access files and folders in the permissions, then technically they can access whatever they want, whenever it wants (when the app is running). There is a certain level of trust you must give. If you don't trust the developer of the app, don't allow the permissions.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-10-13 05:13 PM
    I think you have to have granted access permission. But as Mike said, once you do, they probably have access all around.
    10-10-13 06:02 PM
    That's what I don't like about the apps that are available. They ask for way too much trust. They need permissions that I believe they don't deserve. . Right now I'm not happy the way it is.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-13 11:38 AM
    Then it kinda defeats the purpose of any "secueity" I hope they are only limited to certain folders!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 11:20 PM
    That's what I don't like about the apps that are available. They ask for way too much trust. They need permissions that I believe they don't deserve. . Right now I'm not happy the way it is.
    I understand your frustration. I don't think anyone is happy with the state of permission granting on BB10 as it stands.
    However, it is not the apps. It is the lack of granular permissions as presented in the legacy BBOS devices.
    This is the state of the BB10 OS until BlackBerry institutes a more "in-depth" permissions process.
    10-14-13 04:10 AM
    I understand your frustration. I don't think anyone is happy with the state of permission granting on BB10 as it stands.
    However, it is not the apps. It is the lack of granular permissions as presented in the legacy BBOS devices.
    This is the state of the BB10 OS until BlackBerry institutes a more "in-depth" permissions process.
    Well, the cynic in me does not expect much improvement in that area. You'd expect BB with its penchant for Security to have included much more initially.

They really "threw away" the OS7 team when developing BB10. I'm sure that had advantages but some (a lot?) of what is missing shows the glaring negative results of starting completely over.

You grant permission for FileAccess, you have granted BROAD permission. You grant permission for Internet access and FileAccess, that program/app can ship your files, any of your files, out over the Internet.
    10-14-13 09:41 AM
    Well, the cynic in me does not expect much improvement in that area. You'd expect BB with its penchant for Security to have included much more initially.

They really "threw away" the OS7 team when developing BB10. I'm sure that had advantages but some (a lot?) of what is missing shows the glaring negative results of starting completely over.

You grant permission for FileAccess, you have granted BROAD permission. You grant permission for Internet access and FileAccess, that program/app can ship your files, any of your files, out over the Internet.
    I concur. The current level of permission granting is very broad.
    Just like the OS itself, as well as BBLink backup/restore function.

One can only hope for a better future...
    10-14-13 10:09 AM
    As a developer, I can always access my own app folder.

But if I want access to your media (music/photos/docs) I need to request it. And if I'm an android app, it auto requests everything.

Yes, secure browser for example can access all your personal pictures - because what if you want to upload one to FB using my app? Do I have any interest in anything on your phone --- not in the slightest. I have no interest in what is on your phone. Great question though, but it's really of Ko value to me...

What you need to watch for are apps asking for access to read your emails / SMS. That can be parsed by robot for theft purposes. And developers who you don't recognize in appworld asking for permissions that are abnormal.

Posted via CB from my LE
    MADBRADNYC and FF22 like this.
    10-14-13 10:20 AM
    Do I have any interest in anything on your phone --- not in the slightest. I have no interest in what is on your phone.
    Good to know that you're not a NSA nosy busy body. Much respect.
    However, (not referring to you) but we all know every developer says the same thing. LoL.
    What you need to watch for are apps asking for access to read your emails / SMS. That can be parsed by robot for theft purposes. And developers who you don't recognize in appworld asking for permissions that are abnormal.
    Thanks for this! I had no real idea. Good info to know what to look for.
    I just stick to the developers I've come to trust from the BBOS days, and those new ones highly recommended here.

Good post.
    10-14-13 10:37 AM
    Good to know that you're not a NSA nosy busy body. Much respect.
    However, (not referring to you) but we all know every developer says the same thing. LoL.

Thanks for this! I had no real idea. Good info to know what to look for.
    I just stick to the developers I've come to trust from the BBOS days, and those new ones highly recommended here.

Good post.
    Absolutely,

And to your point - it creeps me out too someone could browse my photos. And it's totally possible someone uses them for something...

But just confirming, once permissions are allowed, they can access anything that isn't 'restricted to an app'. Everything in the media folder.

Posted via CB from my LE
    10-14-13 10:44 AM
    Absolutely,

And to your point - it creeps me out too someone could browse my photos. And it's totally possible someone uses them for something...

But just confirming, once permissions are allowed, they can access anything that isn't 'restricted to an app'. Everything in the media folder.

Posted via CB from my LE
    I'm assuming, based on the limitations of bb10, this is only the case when the app is open/running?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 07:02 PM
    I'm assuming, based on the limitations of bb10, this is only the case when the app is open/running?

Posted via CB10
    Yup! Unless if they registered it for headless support - I believe it's a user permission popup . In which case it *could* trigger itself sporadically for a few.

But I'd hope any developer with the skill set would make something more useful

Posted via CB from my LE
    MikeFromCanada likes this.
    10-15-13 10:08 PM