i tried to educate people on several threads about the pitfalls of whatsapp.....lesson learned....by me!

Posted via CBX
    Personally I don't use any IM.... texting is all that is necessary to keep up with family, workmates or clients. But I "get" that some groups like an IM... see a few using SLACK at their companies. I "get" that some markets where texting is expensive... that an IM is the default means of communications.

I also get that for those that use social media in general... the pitfalls of WhatsApp aren't really an issue.
    01-17-18 09:01 AM
    Personally I don't use any IM.... texting is all that is necessary to keep up with family, workmates or clients. But I "get" that some groups like an IM... see a few using SLACK at their companies. I "get" that some markets where texting is expensive... that an IM is the default means of communications.

I also get that for those that use social media in general... the pitfalls of WhatsApp aren't really an issue.
    its about the convenience of group chats. you can let them happen in your absence and catch up at any point. also about keeping the damn snoops out of your conversations in this sickening new world order

i use telegram and instagram. but not the official client for either.

Posted via CBX
    01-17-18 09:10 AM
    its about the convenience of group chats. you can let them happen in your absence and catch up at any point. also about keeping the damn snoops out of your conversations in this sickening new world order

i use telegram and instagram. but not the official client for either.

Posted via CBX
    Serious question wingnut.. Ive asked my kids and they laugh at me. I only use WhatsApp for international contacts instead of SMS/MMS for my domestic contacts. What's the advantage of using IM/DM apps other than minor feature in BBM (D/R) or similar for individual or group chats?

I've got unlimited texting so I've always used SMS/MMS.
    01-17-18 09:27 AM
    Serious question wingnut.. Ive asked my kids and they laugh at me. I only use WhatsApp for international contacts instead of SMS/MMS for my domestic contacts. What's the advantage of using IM/DM apps other than minor feature in BBM (D/R) or similar for individual or group chats?

did you read the faq in my first post? do you follow the news?

Posted via CBX
    01-17-18 09:51 AM

MMS are not unlimited in many countries. For example here I have unlimited SMS, but MMS are $0.12 each. Since that plan has 10gb of data and you can hook to a wifi conection, IMs are far more convenient.
    Besides, everyone is using Whastapp, in most cases your are forced to use it too. I tried to resist, kept using BBM for a while, tried other apps, nothing works. If you eventually need to be in contact with someone with certain assurance that you will reach out, you end up using what everyone else is using. Sadly...
    01-17-18 10:02 AM
    did you read the faq in my first post? do you follow the news?

Posted via CBX
    I did read and I do follow. If everything I do is casual BS on my phone, texting is all I need I guess. I used BBM for international contacts until all 6 of them moved to WhatsApp. If they all moved over and use Telegram, it replaces WhatsApp. I can see in certain jurisdictions where Telegram is preferred over WhatsApp for government overreach. I don't live in a locale or in an environment with privacy concerns of my own.

My email with clients isn't private and I'm only allowed physical mail, phone calls and permanently third party archived email with real-time government and regulator access with those clients. Any social media exchange with anyone that becomes a client is not allowed unless all my social media account is archived from inception.

So I use texting on limited basis with friends.
    01-17-18 10:09 AM
    I did read and I do follow. If everything I do is casual BS on my phone, texting is all I need I guess. I used BBM for international contacts until all 6 of them moved to WhatsApp. If they all moved over and use Telegram, it replaces WhatsApp. I can see in certain jurisdictions where Telegram is preferred over WhatsApp for government overreach. I don't live in a locale or in an environment with privacy concerns of my own.

My email with clients isn't private and I'm only allowed physical mail, phone calls and permanently third party archived email with real-time government and regulator access with those clients. Any social media exchange with anyone that becomes a client is not allowed unless all my social media account is archived from inception.

So I use texting on limited basis with friends.
    you live in pretty well the worst environment. i understand the attitude that you have nothing to hide, but do you recall a little thing called the constitution? and one called human rights?

Posted via CBX
    01-17-18 10:21 AM
    you live in pretty well the worst environment. i understand the attitude that you have nothing to hide, but do you recall a little thing called the constitution? and one called human rights?

Posted via CBX
    I do. But, to be licensed stockbroker 26 years ago, you agree to certain intrusions. Through all these years regulations and technology don't keep up. I'm now called a licensed retirement planner or licensed wealth manager, but the regulations are stuck back in the 80s somewhere.
    01-17-18 10:35 AM
    I do. But, to be licensed stockbroker 26 years ago, you agree to certain intrusions. Through all these years regulations and technology don't keep up. I'm now called a licensed retirement planner or licensed wealth manager, but the regulations are stuck back in the 80s somewhere.
    another reason is reliability. i often find out that my txt/sms was never received...and theres often trouble with attachments. messaging platforms not only guarantee that your message went through, they show you when your message was sent to their device, and when it was read.

a friend of mine works at an office and likes to keep in contact while at his desk. telegram lets you seamlessly move between devices including desktops..even linux.

Posted via CBX
    01-17-18 10:45 AM
    its one thing to oversee business and financial transactions quite another whats going on in the US, Russia, Iran, and China.

Posted via CBX
    Last edited by wingnut666; 01-17-18 at 11:37 AM.
    01-17-18 10:46 AM
    I installed Telegram just to see how it looks and check how many of my contacts are using it.

From 350+ contacts that I have (around 90% of them using Whatsapp) only 6 have Telegram....
    01-18-18 08:50 AM
    I installed Telegram just to see how it looks and check how many of my contacts are using it.

From 350+ contacts that I have (around 90% of them using Whatsapp) only 6 have Telegram....
    Similar situation. Only 3 contacts that use Telegram, and they all use FB messenger (my main messenger app) as well.
    No point for me in having Telegram, uninstalled it.
    Last edited by johnny_bravo72; 01-18-18 at 12:05 PM.
    01-18-18 09:37 AM
    01-21-18 08:28 AM
    now that the one advantage of whatsapp (hub integration) is gone...its literally a relief to be done with that evil app from our unfriends at facebook. telegram is 1000x better, and the unofficial client challegram is super lightweight and fast...looks great on bb10 too. why anyone would still use whatscrapp is beyond me. telegram even works cross-platform, without losing your messages. tell your friends to move. if they ask why, point them here:
    https://telegram.org/faq#general

Posted via CBX
    Thank you for the Challegram recommendation, much better that Social IM for Telegram on BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 10:51 AM
    Not sure if anyone has seen this but there is now a new Telegram client and it is fast. I can't believe just how fast it is on the Passport and I know you will all love it.

Go to the Google Play store and check out "Telegram X"

It's as if it was made for BB10 it's so darn fast. Jimmy-John FAST!!!
    Impressed!!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-24-18 at 01:11 PM.
    01-23-18 06:05 PM
    But are all those new Telegram clients safe as the original Telegram app?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-18 02:16 AM
    Challegram is telegram X.
    it was the winner of a coding contest held by the official developer.
    i assume it is fully vetted by them...they put their name on it in the play store.

i also believe it is fully open source, making using of their encrypted messaging API which is not, but dont quote me on that

Posted via CBX
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-24-18 10:46 AM
    Been using Telegram for a while now. I also use whatsapp because so many people are on it, but telegram where possible.

Don't forget Signal and Threema.

If security and privacy are your thing, then facebook (and anything owned by facebook) isn't.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-24-18 01:08 PM
    I get "your device isn't compatible" with Cobalt's play store...
    02-05-18 05:27 PM
    Not sure if anyone has seen this but there is now a new Telegram client and it is fast. I can't believe just how fast it is on the Passport and I know you will all love it.

Go to the Google Play store and check out "Telegram X"

It's as if it was made for BB10 it's so darn fast. Jimmy-John FAST!!!
    Impressed!!!

Posted via CB10
    For me, there is no difference if it's slow or blazing fast if you have no contacts using it...
    02-08-18 06:47 PM
    For me, there is no difference if it's slow or blazing fast if you have no contacts using it...
    I've introduced Telegram to many of my friends and they all have taken to it. Maybe you should try to do the same.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-08-18 08:08 PM
    I've introduced Telegram to many of my friends and they all have taken to it. Maybe you should try to do the same.
    Tried that in the past with BBM. It was a pain, I was a pain to the others hahaha

Seriously, that could work with friends, but it doesn't work with clients or work contacts.

Posted vía CB10 with my Passport SE SQW100-4
    02-08-18 08:21 PM
    02-13-18 10:39 PM
    Seems this was a backdoor on the Windows desktop version of Telegram and not in the mobile app.

I truly like Telegram. The capability to run it on multiple devices on a single account, similar to Apple iMessage BUT multi-platform is great. Sadly all Telegram attempts for BB10 are just a slow piece of junk, with all due respect. I never understood why no one did a better native client... oh well... I guess this ship has sailed
    02-21-18 08:44 PM
    Seems this was a backdoor on the Windows desktop version of Telegram and not in the mobile app.

I truly like Telegram. The capability to run it on multiple devices on a single account, similar to Apple iMessage BUT multi-platform is great. Sadly all Telegram attempts for BB10 are just a slow piece of junk, with all due respect. I never understood why no one did a better native client... oh well... I guess this ship has sailed
    The android version of Telegram works super in the bb10.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-18 04:48 PM
56 123