Sorry if this has been covered - I'm sure it has, but I done a search and nothing came up!

For a long time, well, possibly since I got my Z10, all WhatsApp videos sent to me are viewed sideways on my phone! I thought it was just my phone, but my cousin just bought a Z10 and it's the same with his.

Did anyone else experience this issue, and is there a way around it?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:08 PM
    I think it depends on how the sender recorded the video before sending (portrait or landscape). But easy way to fix it is open the videos app, find the sideways video, long press on the video, select edit, select the crop option at the bottom, then you can rotate the video, then save

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 01:15 PM
    I think it depends on how the sender recorded the video before sending (portrait or landscape). But easy way to fix it is open the videos app, find the sideways video, long press on the video, select edit, select the crop option at the bottom, then you can rotate the video, then save

Posted via CB10
    It's literally ANY video. If they record it portrait, it comes out landscape (albeit sideways) and if they record it landscape, it plays portrait on my phone (but again, sideways).. if I turn the phone on its side without rotation lock so it's the right way, it just rotates it again so it's still sideways.

I note that videos sent from other BB10 devices are the right way up! Also videos downloaded onto someone's phone, then sent through WhatsApp is fine - it seems it's just videos that are recorded directly from an Android or iPhone device.

I'm going to try and get someone to send me a video via bluetooth and see if it comes out normal, to determine whether it's a problem with the way WhatsApp sends videos or if it's just in general.

So really no one else has this problem?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 03:59 PM
    I'm actually surprised this is the first thread I've seen on this issue.

The problem is that iOS and Android phones commonly record their videos sideways, then set a flag in the video file that says what the correct orientation for the video should be. From what I'm told, this flag is non-standard. Of course the built-in media player apps on iOS and Android can read this flag, and play the video in the correct orientation. The built-in media player on BlackBerry 10 does not understand this flag, so it just plays the video sideways. You may also find that some video players that run on your desktop PC will also play the video sideways.

We are certainly aware of this issue, but its not an easy one to solve. Hopefully it'll get solved eventually by either us "fixing" the video in-transit or BlackBerry 10 adding support for the video rotation flag.

P.S. Pictures also have a rotation flag, but this one is standard and supported by everyone. Its also *much* easier to rotate a picture, so our clients always sent the picture already "corrected" to the upright orientation.
    02-18-14 01:02 PM
    I'm actually surprised this is the first thread I've seen on this issue.

The problem is that iOS and Android phones commonly record their videos sideways, then set a flag in the video file that says what the correct orientation for the video should be. From what I'm told, this flag is non-standard. Of course the built-in media player apps on iOS and Android can read this flag, and play the video in the correct orientation. The built-in media player on BlackBerry 10 does not understand this flag, so it just plays the video sideways. You may also find that some video players that run on your desktop PC will also play the video sideways.

We are certainly aware of this issue, but its not an easy one to solve. Hopefully it'll get solved eventually by either us "fixing" the video in-transit or BlackBerry 10 adding support for the video rotation flag.

P.S. Pictures also have a rotation flag, but this one is standard and supported by everyone. Its also *much* easier to rotate a picture, so our clients always sent the picture already "corrected" to the upright orientation.
    Is it possible for whatsapp to utilize the built in bb10 video editor to automatically rotate after detecting the flag?

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 01:32 PM
    Is it possible for whatsapp to utilize the built in bb10 video editor to automatically rotate after detecting the flag?

Posted via CB10
    I wish we could, but unfortunately the system service the video editor uses to do its video processing is not publicly exposed.
    02-18-14 04:11 PM