has anyone figured out which permissions are required for the apk to run? i've tried several combinations and it wont run for me. no way i'm launching it will all the permissions it wants.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:19 AM
    has anyone figured out which permissions are required for the apk to run? i've tried several combinations and it wont run for me. no way i'm launching it will all the permissions it wants.

Posted via CBX
    Not really much choice.

You can just install it, and selectively remove permissions one at a time and see if it still runs.
    01-15-18 09:24 AM
    Not really much choice.

You can just install it, and selectively remove permissions one at a time and see if it still runs.
    as you may know, most permissions need to be removed prior to installation, ap ops only gives you access to a few. in particular i do not like giving android apps permission to access all the accounts stored on my device along with their passwords..that one's a deal breaker.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:25 AM
    as you may know, most permissions need to be removed prior to installation, ap ops only gives you access to a few. in particular i do not like giving android apps permission to access all the accounts stored on my device along with their passwords..

Posted via CBX
    Just don't use the app. Go old school. SMS/MMS
    01-15-18 09:28 AM
    as you may know, most permissions need to be removed prior to installation, ap ops only gives you access to a few. in particular i do not like giving android apps permission to access all the accounts stored on my device along with their passwords..

Posted via CBX
    It can't access any of your passwords.

Plus, being sandboxed in the Runtime provides limited access to the OS.
    Just don't use the app. Go old school. SMS/MMS
    no group chats. no end-to-end.

Posted via CBX
    It can't access any of your passwords.

Plus, being sandboxed in the Runtime provides limited access to the OS.
    how do you know this? i'd upload a screenshot..but you know, cb10.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:30 AM
    no group chats. no end-to-end.

Posted via CBX
    Group chat is done in MMS or am I misunderstanding your definition of group chat?
    01-15-18 09:35 AM
    Group chat is done in MMS or am I misunderstanding your definition of group chat?
    come on chuck. broadcast mms isnt group chat.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:36 AM
    i got it to work with some of the most intrusive ones removed like read my txt messages and find all acounts on device.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:37 AM
    i got it to work with some of the most intrusive ones removed like read my txt messages and find all acounts on device.

Posted via CBX
    It's what I use. I don't need to encrypt BSing with friends. I am in highly regulated industry so I can't text or use most social media with clients. SEC has narrowly defined what I can use...
    01-15-18 09:41 AM
    It's what I use. I don't need to encrypt BSing with friends. I am in highly regulated industry so I can't text or use most social media with clients. SEC has narrowly defined what I can use...
    i'd comment but this forum isn't safe.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 09:45 AM
    cant get past the verification screen. giving up on the app. i dont want any form of facebook in my life anyhow.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 10:00 AM
    cant get past the verification screen. giving up on the app. i dont want any form of facebook in my life anyhow.

Posted via CBX
    Tap OUTSIDE of the box warning about Google Play Services.

You may have to delete and start over.
    01-15-18 10:16 AM
    Tap OUTSIDE of the box warning about Google Play Services.

You may have to delete and start over.
    there was never any such warning. whatscrap isnt infected with gps.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 10:22 AM
    there was never any such warning. whatscrap isnt infected with gps.

Posted via CBX
    There is a warning, yes.

It will, however, function without it. You won't see the warning again after the first run.
    01-15-18 10:22 AM
    There is a warning, yes.

It will, however, function with it. You won't see the warning again after the first run.
    you are mistaken, bud.

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 10:24 AM
    you are mistaken, bud.

Posted via CBX
    Typo - function "without it".
    01-15-18 10:29 AM
    You should install the app and then try removing permissions with App Ops, it won't remove everything but that's likely your best option to remove permissions and maintain compatibility.

IIRC WhatsApp adds itself as an Account on Android (many apps do) so that could be why it needs access and why it can't proceed past verification if you've removed access.
    01-15-18 10:35 AM
    You should install the app and then try removing permissions with App Ops, it won't remove everything but that's likely your best option to remove permissions and maintain compatibility.

IIRC WhatsApp adds itself as an Account on Android (many apps do) so that could be why it needs access and why it can't proceed past verification if you've removed access.
    i've given it permission to create and use its own account, just not read all accounts on device..

Posted via CBX
    01-15-18 10:45 AM