Anyone remember Viigo?

Would spend hours and hours daily on it being able to shuffle in and out of my favorite feeds quickly, with one click of my CONVENIENCE key on my bb... lol, wish my q10 had a convenience key.

Then RIM bought them out and destroyed it. Never understood that.

Anyways, i currently use RSS savvy (pretty weak) and I've downloaded RSS hub, but I can't get it to find any feeds or even work properly. For the short period I was on android in between blackberry's I used a news app called News 360.. it was pretty cool, but it sucks on bb10.

Does anyone know another Rss reader with a nice UI like Viigo did and works properly? Or any personal suggestions?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:54 PM
    If anyone can find him a copy of the BlackBerry News app (the BAR file for sideload)...
    12-11-13 11:57 PM
    gnewsreader is very good, i use it from beta and i like it.
    12-12-13 12:51 AM
    I've been using gNewsReader. It works well, and is under almost constant updating by the dev. He has a thread going where he accepts and responds to user feedback -- very quickly. (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esting-767030/) I use gNewsReader daily, to peruse 300+ articles, synced to Feedly.

You should also check out this recent CB articles about FeedMinder. Missing Social Feeds on BlackBerry 10? Check out FeedMinder! | CrackBerry.com It looks interesting, but doesn't (yet) sync with Feedly -- my RSS hub of choice, so I haven't tried it.

I don't think you would go wrong with either of these.

Good RSS'ing.
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 12-12-13 at 07:26 AM.
    12-12-13 07:10 AM
    I will have to say go with Gnewsreader. These guys suggested it for me since I use Feedly on a computer and Gnewsreader syncs with it.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 07:31 AM
    I've been using gNewsReader. It works well, and is under almost constant updating by the dev. He has a thread going where he accepts and responds to user feedback -- very quickly. (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esting-767030/) I use gNewsReader daily, to peruse 300+ articles, synced to Feedly.

The reason I never used any of the Google Reader apps is that I don't like having a database of everything I read on some 3rd party's server/system.

So I guess gNewsReader, which used to be a Google Reader client, now uses some other 3rd party server to store all your feed info, right?

I've had a hard time finding a good RSS reader on BB10 that uses its own local database and is competitive to what I'm used to on other platforms (ie RSSDemon on Android), the three that I have settled on in the meantime are RSS Savvy, RSS Hub, and multiFEED. But I'm hoping at least one of them gets some major new/revised functionality. (News Spot is also OK but I'm not using it right now because the service they use for compressing pages has become very flaky and causes the app to fail a lot. The dev says they plan to re-write a lot of it.)

Otherwise I'm probably going to load the RSSDemon APK and start making that my default.
    12-12-13 07:47 AM
    Actually, FeedMinder and gNewsReader both allow you to add your own feeds independent of a service. I haven't used that function myself, but it's there.
    12-12-13 07:56 AM
    Actually, FeedMinder and gNewsReader both allow you to add your own feeds independent of a service. I haven't used that function myself, but it's there.

In that case I may look at gNewsReader again. When I first looked at it it was strictly a Google Reader client.

FeedMinder is just a slightly expanded version of RSS Savvy, and there are several aspects of RSS Savvy that don't meet my requirements either, as mentioned previously.

I need something that allows control over quantity of articles pulled and history length, I need something that caches articles locally, provides detailed control over when articles are purged or expired including marking certain articles to not be purged, which allows import from file as well as URL, and which also allows viewing/editing of the feed details.

Many of these news readers treat the feeds like some kind of proprietary data, clearly trying to make it difficult to switch to another reader. RSS Savvy is one of these. You can search for a feed but not see the URL of the feed. (It now shows a URL in tiny writing but unless the URL is extremely short it truncates it and there is no way to retrieve the full URL.) So if it doesn't meet your needs, you have to manually search for and re-build all your feeds from scratch and try to manually replicate them, because you cannot simply view their URL or export the feeds as an OPML or XML formatted file etc.

Just a few of my issues.
    12-12-13 08:33 AM
    gnewsreader is very good, i use it from beta and i like it.
    Gotta try that if you are all vouching for it.
    12-12-13 09:04 AM
    Yeah I'm kinda with Omnitech I've never wanted to really sync with another 3rd party to get feeds... I'm not even familiar with feedly, but I guess if thats what it's come to I may give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 09:15 AM