Best Answer

Jul 27 2016 | 10:59 am EDT Uzi

Yes get the supported device like priv DTEK50 or ios or any android

More Answers

Jul 27 2016 | 11:09 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Have to wait and see.... but yeah you best bet is to buy a phone that runs either Android or iOS.

Jul 27 2016 | 1:58 pm EDT Vistaus

Get people to move over to BBM, even if only as an addition to WA to keep in touch with you.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)

Jul 27 2016 | 9:16 pm EDT RK Styles

If your only option is to move to some android device. Then why not use the android runtime provided in the bb10 os itself. It does support the installation of Android version of whatsapp. The only bug you may come across is you may not be able to upload any of your files to it. In that case there is an app names WAA in beta zone that will do the work for you. So you have fully functional whatsapp on the BB10 os. And the installation is also simple.
1. Grab a apk file of whatsapp from some apk hosting site.
2. Move it to your SD card or your internal memory from your Pc.
3. Run it from your file Explorer. (make sure parental controls are not turned on or otherwise apps won't install.
4.wait for installation and continue to a android experience on your charming BB10 os.

Posted via CB10

Jul 27 2016 | 9:20 pm EDT conite

If your only option is to move to some android device. Then why not use the android runtime provided in the bb10 os itself. It does support the installation of Android version of whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
For now. And as you say, it has limitations.

I'd be worried about deeper reliance in Google Play Services, or some other change that will make it incompatible. Counting on BB10 for WhatsApp is probably not the best strategy if the app is important to you.

Jul 28 2016 | 3:57 am EDT Nishant Machhar

Okay for a moment let's say we move to android, but what about people who got BlackBerry 10 phones early this year? Phones are not subsidized in every country like in the USA.

Posted via CB10

Jul 28 2016 | 4:33 am EDT Jenserm

Whatsapp is a facebook-product and there is no reason why they should need google play services because they have no benefit from it. There are android versions without google play services available right now. They would lose customers if they would bound whatsapp on google play services.

Whatsapp needs at least android version 2.3 and I don't think they will make another cut to a higher version that fast, because there are many smartphones in use with version 2.3 to 4.3 (in 2016: 17,2% of all android users).
? Android version market share 2016 | Statistic

With OS10 we have version 4.3 and I'm quite sure whatsapp will work with this version at least the next 4-5 years.

Facebook/whatsapp would lose to much customers, if they would expect for example version 4.4. for a working whatsapp.

As long es the android version works on OS10 I'm not going to buy a new phone.

Jul 28 2016 | 7:12 am EDT conite

Okay for a moment let's say we move to android, but what about people who got BlackBerry 10 phones early this year? Phones are not subsidized in every country like in the USA.

Posted via CB10
Is there a question here? If someone is "stuck" on BB10, then cross your fingers, and hope for the best. What more can you do?

Jul 28 2016 | 7:14 am EDT conite

With OS10 we have version 4.3 and I'm quite sure whatsapp will work with this version at least the next 4-5 years.
Good luck with that.

Jul 28 2016 | 11:54 pm EDT Vistaus

Whatsapp is a facebook-product and there is no reason why they should need google play services because they have no benefit from it. There are android versions without google play services available right now. They would lose customers if they would bound whatsapp on google play services.

Whatsapp needs at least android version 2.3 and I don't think they will make another cut to a higher version that fast, because there are many smartphones in use with version 2.3 to 4.3 (in 2016: 17,2% of all android users).
? Android version market share 2016 | Statistic

Facebook/whatsapp would lose to much customers, if they would expect for example version 4.4. for a working whatsapp.

As long es the android version works on OS10 I'm not going to buy a new phone.
Can anyone confirm those statistics are valid? 'Cause in the other WA thread we went a little off topic with some statistics on different websites but they all got debunked by some users here so I'm wondering if the statistics in the posted link are valid then.

Jul 29 2016 | 4:29 am EDT Vladislavt

Honestly, I like whatsapp and will try to use at least android version of whatsapp after 2016, but a month ago a friend told me about a telegram android app and that it is very easy to tell someone to install telegram if he wants to chat with you, because for example you don't have whatsapp. I've installed telegram android app on my Q5 and it's awesome experience to use it. So I'll tell to anyone who is willing to continue chatting with me, please install telegram app, just connect your phone number with telegram like you used to do with whatsapp and we will be connected Also I'll tell him that maybe telegram is much better, because it can work with the same number on a few devices, and not like whatsapp which works on only one device

P.S. I would honestly like that much more is willing to use BBM, but to use BBM the customer is forced to create blackberry account, and with telegram it's the same registration process, with just a phone number, like on whatsapp, people will not think of that like some hard work

Jul 29 2016 | 9:20 pm EDT Ment

Can anyone confirm those statistics are valid? 'Cause in the other WA thread we went a little off topic with some statistics on different websites but they all got debunked by some users here so I'm wondering if the statistics in the posted link are valid then.

Here's the July distribution stats straight from Google. OS 4.3 and under are 21.5% of devices. By start of 2017 tho it should get below 15% if trends follow.

The BB10 Whatapp dev said that WA isn't going to stop BB10 users from sideloading the Android apk just that they won't be answering bug reports, and features: especially new ones may or may not work and they won't bother to make it sure they do.

Whatsapp, just like Snapchat, is moving from just a communication platform to other types of services like payments and shopping so in time, I'm guessing a year or so, the Android app will have moved far beyond what BB10 can handle in terms of API level ie requiring 4.4 or greater.

Jul 30 2016 | 1:20 am EDT valer466

If you don't wish to move beyond the BB10 device then get your contacts to install BBM android/iOS app which now supports phone number registration just like WhatsApp/Telegram/Viber etc.

It only requires an additional step of a password input & the SMS Code for mobile number verification comes in and kick starts everything.

Jul 30 2016 | 1:25 am EDT DiegoV_G

I never thought I would say this but I think I'm going for the samsung s8 or latest sony xperia. I don't really know anything about android so I have no idea which is the best flagship out there. Someone knows and can help me with some options?

Definitely not apple, I absolutely dislike the stupid limitations they have for the price

Posted via CB10

Jul 30 2016 | 1:53 am EDT Ment

I never thought I would say this but I think I'm going for the samsung s8 or latest sony xperia. I don't really know anything about android so I have no idea which is the best flagship out there. Someone knows and can help me with some options?

Definitely not apple, I absolutely dislike the stupid limitations they have for the price

Posted via CB10
The Hub on Android is getting better all the time so why not look at the DTek50 or if you love PKB then the PRIV. BB is also releasing a traditional PKB for Android next year as well as a flagship.

Jul 30 2016 | 2:40 am EDT Nishant Machhar

By these standards most people will have to upgrade their phones every two years, either the hardware or the software won't be up to mark to run most of the app features (considering that they upgrade quickly). This will be like a rat race.

Posted via CB10

Jul 30 2016 | 5:00 am EDT Nishant Machhar

Forget it, just keep using what's app for BlackBerry till December, then the Android app and keep using it, if BlackBerry updates the run time, well and good, if not I am going to buy the Mercury. Neither Blackberry nor Whatsapp are gonna do anything about it, let's just move on guys.

Posted via CB10