I use Vivino wine scanning app and love it
    Received email about new WP app that is now available and at the bottom it says available on iOS, Android, and WP. Not BlackBerry!

I thought that I must have side loaded the app through another app store. So I decided to email Vivino.

Email:
    Vivino,

I have a BlackBerry 10 phone and would like a Vivino app in BlackBerry World. You might be aware that new BlackBerry phone are able to run Android apps legally and directly on our devices. I use the Vivino app that is on the Google Play Store all the time on my BlackBerry. To make it easier for users to find your app (users who aren?t familiar with Android app stores) you should port your app directly to BlackBerry World to broaden your user reach. It takes merely minutes to port an app over. See here: Porting apps from Android - BlackBerry Native

If you really would like to please your future BlackBerry 10 users then you could also make a Native BlackBerry app rather than porting over the Android version.

Thanks,

Brian Wuttke

Reply:
    Hi Brian

The thing is that we have stopped all development for BlackBerry phones and pulled it from BlackBerry World so I'm afraid we can't do much more for you.

I'm sorry about that!

I have, however, forwarded your request to our technical team. Hopefully, they can start the development again, if time and resources allow it. I should note that we are a small company and thus resources are limited. If we receive a lot of request for the BlackBerry version, they might reconsider.

I've also forwarded you're suggestion to port the app directly. Hopefully, this is a viable solution.

Hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best regards

Ragnar Joensen
    Vivino Support

REMOVED FROM BLACKBERRY WORLD?!? What is going on? I thought we are supposed to be adding apps not losing ones that were existing the BlackBerry World. What makes a developer decide, "we should remove our perfectly working free app"? I understand if they decide to not support updates for the existing app. But why pull it?

Posted via CB10
    masterscarhead1 likes this.
    06-22-14 02:20 PM
    I can see both sides. For the consumer its not there at all which sucks. For the dev it means they dont get hassled for updates or fixes when BB changes something that breaks the app. The best you can do is probably look for their app in the amazon appstore and hope that gets updates
    06-22-14 02:42 PM
    But why remove it? I don't use the app but I think it is working as expected right?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:48 PM
    But why remove it? I don't use the app but I think it is working as expected right?

Posted via CB10
    Last I was using it it was working great. It was a Android port and was a "older" version but worked fine. I had loaded a newer version through Snap. Didn't notice the removal till I was checking after the WP promotion email.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:07 PM
    Now, I'm not sure I fully understand the use of the app
    What does it do that makes it different from Whine?
    06-22-14 11:38 PM
    Honestly you are going to see more and more of this. Why maintain a native app and an android app that is in the amazon app store? Blackberry is pushing it this way so you might as well start looking in the amazon store now as primary focus for apps/games
    dolco likes this.
    06-22-14 11:40 PM
    Honestly you are going to see more and more of this. Why maintain a native app and an android app that is in the amazon app store? Blackberry is pushing it this way so you might as well start looking in the amazon store now as primary focus for apps/games
    It was an Android port that was removed.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 11:51 PM
    Now, I'm not sure I fully understand the use of the app
    What does it do that makes it different from Whine?
    Vivino is a wine scanning app. Whine is a Vine video looping app. Completely different!

Vivino removed from BlackBerry World? WTF!?!-img_20140622_215348.png

Attachment 279736
    06-22-14 11:55 PM
    I also got the same answer, and I am a wine fan. Absolutely a must and yet they don't count me as one.. yet. Not unless if we BB10 users push them in greater numbers. I suggest we go and write them at Vivino Support <[email protected]>

The thing is that we have stopped all development for BlackBerry phones and pulled it from BlackBerry World.
    I'm sorry about that!
    I have, however, forwarded your request to our technical team. Hopefully, they can start the development again, if time and resources allow it. I should note that we are a small company and thus resources are limited. If we receive a lot of request for the BlackBerry version, they might reconsider.
    If you have any other questions, please let me know.
    Best regards
    Ragnar Joensen
    Vivino Support
    brian4591 likes this.
    07-13-14 05:01 AM
    i think so,If we receive a lot of request for the BlackBerry version, they might reconsider.thanks
    brian4591 likes this.
    07-13-14 07:29 AM
    We should start a petition! I used the app before and it was awesome!

Posted via CB10
    brian4591 and gng11 like this.
    07-13-14 09:39 AM
    Anyone has written to Vivino yet?
    07-15-14 05:43 PM
    Anyone has written to Vivino yet?
    Read my opening message in this thread. It was my email to them and their reply.
    07-15-14 05:45 PM
    Who cares? It was an android port anyway. I long ago replaced all my android ports through bbw with the real things through Snap. That way you get the newest version.

I had the paid version btw, and my account was fully carried through to the true android version.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    07-15-14 05:54 PM
    Read my opening message in this thread. It was my email to them and their reply.
    I have indeed, please also read my first post above.
    07-15-14 06:12 PM
    Who cares? It was an android port anyway. I long ago replaced all my android ports through bbw with the real things through Snap. That way you get the newest version.

I had the paid version btw, and my account was fully carried through to the true android version.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    I actually care, it means a stamp of confidence in Blackberry World. I understand John Chen is focusing on enterprise, and thus Blackberry World may all be just an app store for business/productivity in the end. But wine is also tied to business, if you think it another way. Part of business culture is wine itself. I am a wine fan but also a person that needs Vivino to do the job, natively on my Blackberry. And that's what I want to see, and hope that everyone can benefit from a native app for Blackberry. It's time Vivino recognises the value of the BB10 platform, not just where the money is and which platforms are the most popular. They should think about the next platform that will dominate and that platform is Blackberry 10.
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    07-15-14 06:15 PM
    I actually care, it means a stamp of confidence in Blackberry World. I understand John Chen is focusing on enterprise, and thus Blackberry World may all be just an app store for business/productivity in the end. But wine is also tied to business, if you think it another way. Part of business culture is wine itself. I am a wine fan but also a person that needs Vivino to do the job, natively on my Blackberry. And that's what I want to see, and hope that everyone can benefit from a native app for Blackberry. It's time Vivino recognises the value of the BB10 platform, not just where the money is and which platforms are the most popular. They should think about the next platform that will dominate and that platform is Blackberry 10.
    Ok. Whatever floats your boat I guess. The Android app runs as smooth as silk on my Z30, so I couldn't care less.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    07-15-14 10:31 PM
    Ok. Whatever floats your boat I guess. The Android app runs as smooth as silk on my Z30, so I couldn't care less.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    It's true that an Android version can run flawlessly on the Z30, but I am using a Z10 and a BlackBerry App is a world's difference to me because I don't own a Z30. Imagine if the BlackBerry Vivino App is powered by cascades, etc. That would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 03:09 PM
    It's true that an Android version can run flawlessly on the Z30, but I am using a Z10 and a BlackBerry App is a world's difference to me because I don't own a Z30. Imagine if the BlackBerry Vivino App is powered by cascades, etc. That would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    I hear you.

No question I too wish BlackBerry had the traction in the consumer space that would attract app developers. But, alas, I think that ship has sailed.

We can only hope that either BlackBerry catches on again one day, or the more likely scenario (at least in the short term) that the android runtime gets to a point where it wouldn't matter.

At least we can both enjoy drinking our wine in the meantime!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    07-16-14 03:20 PM
    What's interesting to me is that blackberry has given up the revenue stream which is earning Google and apple a fortune. So no native app store means no ongoing income from blackberry handsets.

Short sighted if they are to make the handsets profitable.
    07-16-14 04:12 PM
    What's interesting to me is that blackberry has given up the revenue stream which is earning Google and apple a fortune. So no native app store means no ongoing income from blackberry handsets.

Short sighted if they are to make the handsets profitable.
    20% of zero is zero.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    07-16-14 04:45 PM
    IMHO.. currently BlackBerry needs to sell phones first .. you have to see it from Devs perspective.... especially big developers.... and biggest attraction to them is the number of users, which BlackBerry currently has the least of..
    I'm guessing a 100M BlackBerry users should attract any developer to develop native apps.. till then I will take anything that works..

I personally love the BB10 UX.. and Android Runtime has been getting better and better.. come to think of it, I am using more Android apps on daily basis than native,for some even when they have native apps available because you can clearly see that more resources have been put into development of Android version and the app experience is just better..

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 08:08 PM
    Their new version in Google Play specifies you must have Google Play Services installed for the app to function. This might be why they departed from BlackBerry World...

It sort of runs on BB10... keeps prompting for Play Services... crashed once trying to navigate around. Boo.

Buggers.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 11:36 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Latest version on Google Play does not work with my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296... prompts incessantly for Play Services and eventually will crash.

FYI.

I bought the Pro version in BlackBerry World too. Pro version on Google Play doesn't work - requested a refund.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 11:59 PM
    Latest version on Google Play does not work with my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296... prompts incessantly for Play Services and eventually will crash.

FYI.

I bought the Pro version in BlackBerry World too. Pro version on Google Play doesn't work - requested a refund.

Posted via CB10
    Strange. Has never crashed on me and I use it a lot. And the Google Play Services notification flashes quickly during app load, but goes away just as quickly without having to touch anything.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    07-17-14 06:39 AM
49 12