Hey all,

I created a little app which allows me to see what my dog gets up to when i'm not around - it's called Motion Detection and I have also added it to app world in case anybody else has a use for it. Here's is the official description to let you know what it can do.

This application will continuously scan your camera (front or back - whichever you choose in settings) and when it detects movement it will alert you via email (if you have enabled email in settings) of motion detection, it will also attach an image of your current camera view.

You can also enable recording of video when motion is detected in settings and choose how long to record for. When you want to view your recorded videos the view videos button will show you them, you can also set a password (in settings) so that when somebody tries to view your captured videos they will be prompted for a password before gaining access to them.

To enable the application to continuously scan your camera for motion your screen backlight has to stay on and this will use more battery than usual. However, it doesn't look like your screen backlight is on when you press your volume buttons as a blank screen is shown to hide the fact that the app is listening for motion. You can hide the blank screen again by pressing a volume button again.

You can stop motion detection after 1 hour (in settings) to save your battery or you can maybe keep your device plugged in to a charger.

This application is in it's early stages and we are happy to receive emails from you about any issues or suggestions to improve it for you. Reviews are great too!

Motion Detection - BlackBerry World
    Karan Mohal and sushistew like this.
    05-12-14 01:24 PM
    OMG that can be a useful app for parents and pet owners! Great job! And the security conscious!
    05-12-14 01:30 PM
    This uses your phone? How often do people leave their phone home when they leave? Hope I'm misunderstanding.
    05-12-14 01:35 PM
    You're not misunderstanding, I just have a few BB 10 devices so I can always leave one at home if I wanted to detect anything whilst I was out, but you can obviously also just leave your (only) phone in another room for a bit if you wanted to capture something whilst you weren't in the room.
    kbz1960 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-12-14 01:41 PM
    You're not misunderstanding, I just have a few BB 10 devices so I can always leave one at home if I wanted to detect anything whilst I was out, but you can obviously also just leave your (only) phone in another room for a bit if you wanted to capture something whilst you weren't in the room.
    Thanks. I was thinking most people only have one

I can see some use some people wouldn't like but it's not there aren't ways.
    05-12-14 01:49 PM
    A playbook version of this app would be great... my pb is always at home, but I gotta take my bb10 with me ...
    DocDRM, wyleybuster and sushistew like this.
    05-12-14 02:58 PM
    Obviously this app is not for everyone but he priced it to sell at 99 cents or the UK equivalent of that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-12-14 03:45 PM
    I think I might get it.
    05-12-14 04:13 PM
    Hey all,

I created a little app which allows me to see what my dog gets up to when i'm not around - it's called Motion Detection and I have also added it to app world in case anybody else has a use for it. Here's is the official description to let you know what it can do.

This application will continuously scan your camera (front or back - whichever you choose in settings) and when it detects movement it will alert you via email (if you have enabled email in settings) of motion detection, it will also attach an image of your current camera view.

You can also enable recording of video when motion is detected in settings and choose how long to record for. When you want to view your recorded videos the view videos button will show you them, you can also set a password (in settings) so that when somebody tries to view your captured videos they will be prompted for a password before gaining access to them.

To enable the application to continuously scan your camera for motion your screen backlight has to stay on and this will use more battery than usual. However, it doesn't look like your screen backlight is on when you press your volume buttons as a blank screen is shown to hide the fact that the app is listening for motion. You can hide the blank screen again by pressing a volume button again.

You can stop motion detection after 1 hour (in settings) to save your battery or you can maybe keep your device plugged in to a charger.

This application is in it's early stages and we are happy to receive emails from you about any issues or suggestions to improve it for you. Reviews are great too!

Motion Detection - BlackBerry World
    Any Chance of a Playbook Port?
    05-12-14 05:14 PM
    The app uses Blackberry 10 specific libraries so it would require a bit of work to make a working version for playbook but I'll look into it as maybe the playbook was a better device to target from the start!
    sushistew likes this.
    05-12-14 05:22 PM
    The app uses Blackberry 10 specific libraries so it would require a bit of work to make a working version for playbook but I'll look into it as maybe the playbook was a better device to target from the start!
    Less revenue
    05-12-14 05:27 PM
    Well, it's the one most BB10 owners now leave at home collecting dust (sadly).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 05-12-14 at 06:06 PM.
    05-12-14 05:28 PM
    This would be sweet for the PB if possible also.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 05:48 PM
    Good luck with what already seems a popular discussion target.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-12-14 08:11 PM
    Well, it's the one most BB10 owners now leave at home collecting dust (sadly).

Posted via CB10
    I actually use my PB daily.. the wife and I even fight for it (not fight but you know..) sometimes... still a useful device for us...
    05-13-14 03:53 PM