So,

I just completed the Unity beta - and absolutely loved it. They did a stand-up job in my opinion and dealt with some tough customers.

Edit: Moving forward many months, the aftermath has shown a different light. The software is fantastic. The support channels have been brutal. And the promise (below) by Unity was not only never delivered - but asking them they have flat out refused to meet either commitment. 30 email exchanges later, I've given up trying as they even refuse to acknowledge having ever sent this email.

This morning I received the following email:

Congratulations!
    We appreciate all the valuable feedback you have given us on the latest tech from Unity and BlackBerry. That’s why you have been hand-picked to receive a Unity BlackBerry 10 Pro publishing add-on worth $1500 and BlackBerry Z10 device for free.

All I can say is that I have several apps for Unity ready to go, I built my own control interfaces for it, and I'm excited to be able to send them to appworld.

Expect some new games soon. Thank you Unity

Also, what an awesome surprise.
    Last edited by KermEd; 08-09-13 at 12:46 PM.
    bigopti, Bilaal, Korepab and 19 others like this.
    07-22-13 01:44 PM
    Congrats! Looking forward to seeing what you have in store!
    07-22-13 01:48 PM
    Wooooo can not wait, better make em Q compatible :P
    holly joslin likes this.
    07-22-13 01:51 PM
    Hahah you bet guys.

My big one is looking cool. I should add, thanks to the Pro license, now the lighting will be better
    sayf777 likes this.
    07-22-13 01:53 PM
    Awesome and congrats!
    07-22-13 06:20 PM
    That's awesome! Happy developing!
    07-22-13 06:23 PM
    That's awesome!
    You deserve it.
    07-22-13 06:36 PM
    Any extra information you can share with us about your games? Free? Paid? A mix? Type of games? Really any information hehe

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 06:38 PM
    I was hoping for a thread like this! Good luck with your apps! Looking forward to more positive feedback from developers.

BB10, Z10
    07-22-13 06:42 PM
    Any extra information you can share with us about your games? Free? Paid? A mix? Type of games? Really any information hehe

Posted via CB10
    A mix . Without giving away too much...

My new apps are targeting expensive counter parts with an appworld monopoly with the intent of driving down high cost apps - booyah.

My new games are at a whole new level. Those bad boys are getting pumped out through unity and flash (dynamic UI's are a bit easier in as3)

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-22-13 11:17 PM
    Do you have a channel to show off your games?

10.2 what's your 10-20?
    07-22-13 11:23 PM
    Do you have a channel to show off your games?

10.2 what's your 10-20?
    Yes and no...

My apps get split between 4 different developer groups --- so it's a bit of a mess at the moment. (I like to contribute! )

I have a "me" channel (FileArchiveHaven)
    but trust me - it ain't worth joining at the moment.

My next big 3 releases are non-Unity. After that I should have 3 Unity games back to back

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-22-13 11:32 PM
    This is random, but since your signature states that you have a LE Z10, what are you going to do with the free one that you got?
    holly joslin likes this.
    07-23-13 11:16 AM
    This is random, but since your signature states that you have a LE Z10, what are you going to do with the free one that you got?
    I'm trying to convince him to sell it to me.. we work in the same office lol

via CB10 on the amazing Z10
    KermEd likes this.
    07-23-13 04:44 PM
    A mix . Without giving away too much...

My new apps are targeting expensive counter parts with an appworld monopoly with the intent of driving down high cost apps - booyah.

My new games are at a whole new level. Those bad boys are getting pumped out through unity and flash (dynamic UI's are a bit easier in as3)

Posted via CB from my LE
    I look forward to them

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 04:55 PM
    Way to go man thanks for letting us know.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 04:58 PM
    I was on the Unity beta too. I'm very amateur, basically my first game since highschool. Either way I'd appreciate people checking it out in it's current v.02b state,

Also I too would like to drive down the cost of apps. There's an IPcam app that is $5 for an android port, I wrote my own in webworks, works very good for my needs but not close to ready for mass consumption. However I would like to get to a point where I can undercut over priced apps. Neverball for example is up for $2.. it's an opensource game. You are allowed to charge for open source software, but they guy who's selling it won't even give me his sourcecode changes which violates that license it's released under.

Super Mario Breakout

Unity - What an awesome experience-img_00000460.jpg
    KermEd likes this.
    07-24-13 10:10 AM
    Keep at it my friend . If u need help poking and prodding let me know open source is important.

Posted via CB from my LE
    07-24-13 04:44 PM
    Awesome! We need more developers like you!

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 06:10 PM
    Wolfenstien.....perhaps.....??? hmmmmm...... Orignal that is...
    KermEd likes this.
    07-24-13 06:18 PM
    Congrats KermEd!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    07-24-13 06:22 PM
    So, the bad news.

After exchanging approximately 30 emails with many support folks at Unity...

This morning, I was advised for the third time by Unity support person Ben Stoneman: The only way I will receive the free Z10 is if I purchase Unity Pro (1500), plus iOS add-on (1500) and Android add-on (1500). At that point they might send me the free license for the BlackBerry add-on and the Z10.

The difficult part, is they suggested several times I'm lying. And keep telling me the reward email is for a future promotion that started weeks later. They even told me once that Unity sent no such email.

I've forwarded the emails back to their support team 3 times now - and continue going in circles with their help desk.

At this point, I've given up trying to get my free Z10. But for future folks, just be warned: these guys have issues meeting their commitments and the support channels *will* make you angry from time to time

I might still use Unity. But I've changed my mind on purchasing the pro release until they sort out their support channels. Its hard to convince yourself to buy into a software package after an experience like this. Their loss though I figure, its 1500 they would have made if they honoured a commitment.

With that said, I have some very cool games (not made in Unity) also coming down the pipe

Ed.
    08-09-13 12:52 PM
    Hey have you tried to maybe reach out to BlackBerry and see if they can help you any? Since if I'm not mistaken please correct me if I am, that it's a joint promotion from BlackBerry and Unity?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 05:57 PM
    Hey have you tried to maybe reach out to BlackBerry and see if they can help you any? Since if I'm not mistaken please correct me if I am, that it's a joint promotion from BlackBerry and Unity?

Posted via CB10
    Nah, I've opted to let the situation die. Frustrating a little bit - but at the end of the day I'll get over it. Blackberry has been awesome in showering developers,

I figure I'll save those favors for a bit favor one day. To your point though, I hope that others less fortunate than I have been talking with blackberry about it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-09-13 07:49 PM
    Sorry to hear about your experiences KermEd. I was looking forward to seeing what you had in store. Keep your chin up.
    KermEd likes this.
    08-09-13 08:38 PM
31 12