Hi i just installed Skype Version 4.4.507.41401 on my new Z10 with OS 10.2.1.2941, and i am unable to change the Application PERMISSIONS under Settings.

All the buttons are Greyed out....

I do not want Skype to have access to my:
    - and perhaps Shared Files

Do you guys know if there is a way to solve this? Or are them absoluteley necessary for Skype to work, and that is the reason why them can not be turned off? If so, i do not understand why does Skype need to know my location...

Thanks in advance.
    06-10-14 07:28 PM
    It probably needs to know your location for some of the calling features...? Just a guess.

Anyway, there is no current way in BB10 to alter Permissions of any Android app, whether ported to BB World, sideloaded, or installed as an apk file.

There are several threads discussing this if you wanted to read more.
    unrinoceronte likes this.
    06-10-14 08:20 PM
    Skype is an Android ported app. It is all or nothing with app permissions on Android. Future updates could change that but you have no choice as of right now.
    06-10-14 08:21 PM
    Skype is an Android ported app. It is all or nothing with app permissions on Android. Future updates could change that but you have no choice as of right now.
    Thanks guys. Excuse my ignorance, in a related topic, but how come Skype be an android App if i downloaded it directly from Blackberry App World? Does Blackberry recently allows Android Apps to appear on Blackberry World and be installed so easily? (I am not "sideloading" if that is the correct term...)
    06-10-14 08:40 PM
    Yup no worries. Some app companies decided it would be easier and more cost effective to take advantage of the Android runtime in BB10. BlackBerry allows Android developers to submit their Android apps directly to BlackBerry World making it easier for the user to obtain. It installs like native but it will have blanked out permissions and will look very different when using.

If you're new to Android apps, swipe down from the top and click "Hide Bar" to hide the "back button" bar. If you need to go back in an Android App and there is no back button (you just removed it) you can swipe from the bottom bezel diagonally up and to the left. This is a swipe gesture "back button" for Android ports only. Actually makes it faster for me. Most Android apps have a back button in the top left corner which is not always easy to reach. Practice it and I'm sure you'll like using it.
    Elite1 and unrinoceronte like this.
    06-10-14 08:49 PM
    It probably needs to know your location for some of the calling features...? Just a guess.

Anyway, there is no current way in BB10 to alter Permissions of any Android app, whether ported to BB World, sideloaded, or installed as an apk file.

There are several threads discussing this if you wanted to read more.
    So i just found a recent Post (2 weeks old) in another forum which provides an Alternative for managing the Permissions of those ANDROID ported Apps like SKYPE. It recommends to download an Android app called ADVANCED PERMISSION MANAGER. Here is a Copy Paste of that Post:
    " Well, we finally found the solution! All you need to do is get an Android Application Permission Manager, anyone should work but we decided to try Advanced Permissions Manager, this application comes packed with another old application called App Ops that will help you decide what exactly you want to enable or disable for each applications. I decided to disable location access for Skype because I found no use for it on Skype and that is helping me save more battery now while keeping Skype running in background! "

link to app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heagoo.pmaster

By the way, is it ok to post here the name of the other Forum? how about paste a link to that post? Does it goes against crackberry forum policies?
    06-10-14 09:46 PM
    So i just found a recent Post (2 weeks old) in another forum which provides an Alternative for managing the Permissions of those ANDROID ported Apps like SKYPE. It recommends to download an Android app called ADVANCED PERMISSION MANAGER. Here is a Copy Paste of that Post:
    " Well, we finally found the solution! All you need to do is get an Android Application Permission Manager, anyone should work but we decided to try Advanced Permissions Manager, this application comes packed with another old application called App Ops that will help you decide what exactly you want to enable or disable for each applications. I decided to disable location access for Skype because I found no use for it on Skype and that is helping me save more battery now while keeping Skype running in background! "

link to app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...heagoo.pmaster

By the way, is it ok to post here the name of the other Forum? how about paste a link to that post? Does it goes against crackberry forum policies?
    Don't mean to burst your bubble, but that only works on 10.3.
    06-10-14 10:20 PM
    Don't mean to burst your bubble, but that only works on 10.3.
    No, it works also on earlier os versions. The app changes the apk file and removes the permissions. Since it changes the original apk file it means that you have to trust the app developer a lot!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 07:38 AM
    No, it works also on earlier os versions. The app changes the apk file and removes the permissions. Since it changes the original apk file it means that you have to trust the app developer a lot!

Posted via CB10
    Ahh, this is different than another solution I've seen, where android 4.3 (which is packaged in 10.3) has a hidden menu you can enable through an app. That is a safer method, but until then your discovery sounds like it'll do the trick.
    06-11-14 08:32 AM
    So It recommends to download an Android app called ADVANCED PERMISSION MANAGER.
    BTW: You need an app version prior to 1.2.2 in order to remove permissions from more than 5 apps without paying.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:00 PM
    So i just found a recent Post (2 weeks old) in another forum which provides an Alternative for managing the Permissions of those ANDROID ported Apps like SKYPE. It recommends to download an Android app called ADVANCED PERMISSION MANAGER. Here is a Copy Paste of that Post
    07-14-14 08:46 AM