There's an exciting new os that has a new take on apps...not 100% sure what it would take to get these apps running in a browser or on BB10. But if they can run on flip phones, I'm hopeful.
    02-17-20 04:36 AM
    Tizen is Linux based, I but yeah it was conceived to be a HTML-5 based platform....

But lack of development and support is what pretty much killed it in smartphones.... is there much development support for their "flip phones"?
    02-17-20 07:09 AM
    There's an exciting new os that has a new take on apps...not 100% sure what it would take to get these apps running in a browser or on BB10. But if they can run on flip phones, I'm hopeful.
    Well here’s some great information.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen
    02-17-20 08:09 AM
    I'd pin more hopes on Huawei and their Harmony OS. With them being blocked from Playstore and the Play services it forces apps to either use some other means or Huawei's own services.

Instead of writing for yet another API, I figure somebody is going to come up with another open alternative...so maybe that will help BlackBerry users who still rely on Android apps.

But honestly just wishful thinking. The ART is still stuck on such an old version and that will never change and I don't think any alternative from Huawei or otherwise will target such an old base version

Posted via CB10
    02-18-20 03:59 PM
    I'd pin more hopes on Huawei and their Harmony OS.
    Would anyone outside of China ever want to use a Chinese OS though?
    02-18-20 04:08 PM
    Would anyone outside of China ever want to use a Chinese OS though?
    I would, probably. I just don't buy into all the hysteria about China controlling the world (yet, anyway). My household uses Huawei. Great phones (even though I dislike android).
    02-18-20 04:24 PM
    I would, probably. I just don't buy into all the hysteria about China controlling the world (yet, anyway). My household uses Huawei. Great phones (even though I dislike android).

While I haven't see real evidence that Huawei is slipping hardware or software into their phones - I think if it could be proved it would have been at this point. Doesn't mean I want to wait and find out if there is some special activation code.... or spy firmware update that gets pushed one day.

Huawei is a government controlled enterprise - Ren Zhengfei retain 1 Percent of the shares, rest are held by a trade union committee (not a union like we have), which is effectively controlled by the Chinese Communist Party... who runs China. And it's pretty clear that the People's Liberation Army has active cyber warfare units that have carried out peace time attacks against a number of Nation States and Corporations. Some for real espionage to steal state of corporate secretes, some just to test their ability to disrupt, others to steal personal user info.... https://www.csis.org/programs/techno...yber-incidents

Also why I'm not a fan of Sailfish these days.... Russia too is big on cyber warfare, and now they have Sailfishes code for their OS.
    Then I'm not really confidant that US phones are safe either... must buy more tin foil.
    02-20-20 02:58 PM
    Tizen isnt new. Samsung were playing about with it as a Smartphone OS 5 years ago at least and ended up putting it into their TVs. They knew they wouldn’t be able to break the Android / iOS hold on the market.

Much like WebOS, Firefox OS, Windows and BB10

I wouldn’t get your hopes up

Incidentally just to mix things up. BlackBerry claim they invented the smartphone....: did they? I think the Nokia communicators came out first (Nokia 9000 in 1996) but if you asked the average punter they would say Apple / Steve Jobs did
    Blaby likes this.
    02-20-20 05:00 PM
    And what is the new take on Apps? Remember Mike Lazaridis infamously said we don’t need Apps, HTML5 is the future.....

Said the man who released a tablet that couldn’t do email. (Considering BlackBerry built their business on Mobile Email) what were they thinking?
    02-20-20 05:03 PM
    And what is the new take on Apps? Remember Mike Lazaridis infamously said we don’t need Apps, HTML5 is the future.....

Said the man who released a tablet that couldn’t do email. (Considering BlackBerry built their business on Mobile Email) what were they thinking?
    Although it was heavily marketed as a handset companion device using Bridge - in which case it was great for email.
    02-20-20 05:45 PM

The same company who also never led by example by making BBM an HTML5 "app". BBM/BBMe for Android, BBOS, BB10, and iOS are ALL native apps.

Because HTML5 isn't the answer to all problems.
    02-20-20 06:31 PM
    Although it was heavily marketed as a handset companion device using Bridge - in which case it was great for email.
    Marketing was useless then. People compared it with an iPad... which could do a lot more (and email) BlackBerry built their rep on Mobile email and then abandoned it.

I used to work for BlackBerry in CSO. The Playbook was ******* useless as an email device.

You hankering about Bridge makes you appear like a fanboy. Just like BB and Android haters hated the iPhone due to the sheep... bridge, nice idea which no one wanted.

It turned out BB10 actually had the best implementation of an Activesync Client for Exchange / Office 365 etc... bit it was then too late
    John Albert likes this.
    02-20-20 06:48 PM
    You hankering about Bridge makes you appear like a fanboy.
    Seems a bit harsh. I was just bringing up what I remembered from that time. I bought one knowing that - although I used gmail, so the web client was more than sufficient for me anyway.

I'm not trying to sell PlayBooks.
    02-20-20 06:58 PM
    Me neither . I’m just saying BlackBerry ****ed up on Interface design and devices.

Playbook was the best music device. Had the best speakers and DAC etc. Could have been a great consumer device but lacked what would have made it brilliant
    02-20-20 07:17 PM
    Me neither . I’m just saying BlackBerry ****ed up on Interface design and devices.

Playbook was the best music device. Had the best speakers and DAC etc. Could have been a great consumer device but lacked what would have made it brilliant
    I think they had a technical limitation there. BIS and BES and BBM, as I recall, didn’t smoothly allow for multiple devices, did they? I know they fixed this later, but I think it was after Playbook.

So I *think* (would love your confirmation) that the security model in place at that time meant that the Playbook *had* to tether through the existing provisioned device.

Somebody may have then tried to spin that technical limitation into a “feature”. My opinion is that Playbook should never have existed. It should have been all hands on deck to make the next gen phone the moment they saw the iPhone.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-20-20 at 08:48 PM.
    02-20-20 07:38 PM
    You DO know that both the Playbook and the Kindle Fire were both manufactured by Quanta Computer and were based on Quanta's reference design with slightly different options between the Playbook and Kindle, right? BB had virtually nothing to do with the Playbook hardware.
    02-20-20 08:18 PM
    I used to work for BlackBerry in CSO.
    I’ve always wondered if that’s like being part of the Hindenburg or Titanic gate or port crew employees...
    02-20-20 09:45 PM
    Remember Bridge didn’t come until after it had launched

BIS allowed multiple devices, BES there were workarounds (I know of at least one major CEO who had 2 BB on BES .

What sold the iphone was the UI, senior management had a golden opportunity with TAT, but let them work with their hands tied behind their back
    02-21-20 03:51 AM
    Remember Bridge didn’t come until after it had launched

BIS allowed multiple devices, BES there were workarounds (I know of at least one major CEO who had 2 BB on BES .

What sold the iphone was the UI, senior management had a golden opportunity with TAT, but let them work with their hands tied behind their back
    This was a "how to" article from April 2011 regarding Bridge.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-b...-a-blackberry/

The Playbook was also release in April 2011.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBM only worked with a single device.
    02-21-20 06:47 AM
    This was a "how to" article from April 2011 regarding Bridge.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-b...-a-blackberry/

The Playbook was also release in April 2011.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I don’t need to see a how to. I had my Playbook in 2010
    02-21-20 06:50 AM
    I don’t need to see a how to. I had my PlayBook in 2010
    My point being that Bridge was available at launch.

You're probably just remembering when you got your pre-production PlayBook .
    02-21-20 06:51 AM
    My point being that Bridge was available at launch.
    But it was locked in that you had to have a BlackBerry to use one. Major flaw there. It couldn’t do email on it’s own. That was my point
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-21-20 06:53 AM
    But it was locked in that you had to have a BlackBerry to use one. Major flaw there. It couldn’t do email on it’s own. That was my point
    Was the workaround for BES scalable? Were they trying to protect BES, you think?
    02-21-20 06:55 AM
    Yes, I think we both understand that.

This goes back to my original post - the PlayBook was initially marketed as a BlackBerry device companion product - with a secure connection between the two.
    02-21-20 06:55 AM
    Was the workaround for BES scalable? Were they trying to protect BES, you think?
    Technically yes
    02-21-20 06:57 AM
32 12