I tried this morning and the lady at the Window wasn't impressed when it didn't work after I tried several times (6 cars behind me at 6.30am and temperature of -11C). I have a case on the phone though. Do you think the phone case is making some sort of interference?

I told her it was Tims card, but she's always a bit cranky so who knows what she push on the register.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:15 AM
    I tried this morning and the lady at the Window wasn't impressed when it didn't work after I tried several times (6 cars behind me at 6.30am and temperature of -11C). I have a case on the phone though. Do you think the phone case is making some sort of interference?

I told her it was Tims card, but she's always a bit cranky so who knows what she push on the register.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I feel like this is a try at the counter first to train the staff (and myself) kind of a deal..

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 07:19 AM
    I think we were all too anxious to try this out. This morning, when I went to Timmy, they seem to know exactly what to do. They even ask me if I loaded the Timmy card into the phone. Worked on first try

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 08:35 AM
    I think we were all too anxious to try this out. This morning, when I went to Timmy, they seem to know exactly what to do. They even ask me if I loaded the Timmy card into the phone. Worked on first try

Posted via CB10
    well they put out the press release today about it all. I imagine the crew this morning got a heads up about it and how it should work.
    12-12-13 08:48 AM
    Works awesome!!!

CB10'n it via da Z
    12-12-13 10:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    lol, how did you do it. Did you click on the pay now button on your phone?
    Did you place it against the screen of the machine? If you have a metal case it also won't work properly, but if it is a plastic one, it should work.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 10:54 AM
    Interesting that TH started with BB10. I wonder if BBRY marketing was behind that? TH is such a big chain and a real popular one too!

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1055
    12-12-13 11:49 AM
    Interesting that TH started with BB10. I wonder if BBRY marketing was behind that? TH is such a big chain and a real popular one too!

I think it's a win-win situation. For Tim Horton, it's almost like a limited beta deployment. If something goes wrong, they can easily iron out the process before it launches on the bigger platforms.

For BlackBerry, it's a good advertisement

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:01 PM

probably a lot to do with BlackBerry's security as well. Canadian Company working with another Canadian company. etc.
    12-12-13 01:04 PM
    probably a lot to do with BlackBerry's security as well. Canadian Company working with another Canadian company. etc.
    Up until Android 4.4, you could only have NFC payments on Blackberry
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-12-13 01:19 PM
    lol, how did you do it. Did you click on the pay now button on your phone?
    Did you place it against the screen of the machine? If you have a metal case it also won't work properly, but if it is a plastic one, it should work.

Posted via CB10
    I clicked on the pay now.button and the little animation telling me to tap appeared on the phone's screen.
    I've had issues sometimes even paying with my nfc enabled debit card. At McDonald's you just tap the machine on top of the screen and you're done, but the Tim Hortons' machines seem to have the sensor under the screen and it gets tricky even with a normal credit / debit card.

I have a plastic case, so who knows. If I feel the need for timbits later this afternoon I may go for a walk and try again... this time inside. Hopefully the cranky lady will be in a better mood! XD

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 01:21 PM
    This set of features makes me WANT to start going to Tim Horton places for the first time ever. I've never gotten into the habit of going to Tim Horton spots. Never.

So, thank you BlackBerry for the platform. Thank you CrackBerry for the forum. Thank you to the reviewer and to the user commentators. Finally I'll thank the Tim Horton folk who figured they should get ahead of the curve and start implementing something a tad more "intelligent" than their previous attempt.

After the failed app that I tried out a few months ago I was not interested in trying to do anything at a Tim Horton cash register. (At mcd I know how to get muffin coffee for less than $1.60 and I know the rules of engagement if I wish to have my cup refilled. So, at mcd I know how to use them for a pitstop where there's no surprise + I can choose how much to spend, $2 or $8 or any other amount. In both places I would like to have information about specials before I get to the cash register.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 01:32 PM
    Worked first try for me with a Q10 in an Otterbox Commuter. Staff didn't know anything about it and really don't have to. Say you're paying with Tim Card and just touch where you would tap a credit card.
    12-12-13 01:46 PM
    I clicked on the pay now.button and the little animation telling me to tap appeared on the phone's screen.
    I've had issues sometimes even paying with my nfc enabled debit card. At McDonald's you just tap the machine on top of the screen and you're done, but the Tim Hortons' machines seem to have the sensor under the screen and it gets tricky even with a normal credit / debit card.

I have a plastic case, so who knows. If I feel the need for timbits later this afternoon I may go for a walk and try again... this time inside. Hopefully the cranky lady will be in a better mood! XD

Posted via CB10
    I don't know what phone you have but if you have a Z30 the NFC antenna is at the top of the phone so if you center the phone on the terminal with the top hanging clear it will not connect.
    paper_monkey and bungaboy like this.
    12-12-13 02:27 PM
    Tim Hortons TimmyMe app updated! IT IS SWEET!-img_00000039.png OK from here I don't know where to go next. Seems there's no way for me to get a "Tim card" in advance, using the Internet and my online payment options.... I'll guess this means that I have to go to a retail location, get a physical card, and then enter the numbers manually. (?).

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 02:38 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000039.png 
Views:	697 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	229346 OK from here I don't know where to go next. Seems there's no way for me to get a "Tim card" in advance, using the Internet and my online payment options.... I'll guess this means that I have to go to a retail location, get a physical card, and then enter the numbers manually. (?).

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you have to physically get a Tim Card first. The only thing the TimmyMe app does is send the TimCard number over so you can pay, so you can actually even share a Tim Card between more than one person.
    Say 2 people have it on their phone and one person uses the physical card. Then you only have to set up one card for auto reload.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 02:47 PM
    Yes, you have to physically get a Tim Card first. The only thing the TimmyMe app does is send the TimCard number over so you can pay, so you can actually even share a Tim Card between more than one person.
    Say 2 people have it on their phone and one person uses the physical card. Then you only have to set up one card for auto reload.

Posted via CB10
    Sheesh don't tell my kids that. They'll put it on me to do all the topping up.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 12-14-13 at 11:03 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-12-13 03:03 PM
    I don't know what phone you have but if you have a Z30 the NFC antenna is at the top of the phone so if you center the phone on the terminal with the top hanging clear it will not connect.
    You just saved me from having a rather frustrating episode.. Going to grab a coffee on the way home and between the size of the Z30 and the relatively small size of the PIN pad it would be an utter gong show.
    Thanks!
    12-12-13 03:11 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000039.png 
Views:	697 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	229346 OK from here I don't know where to go next. Seems there's no way for me to get a "Tim card" in advance, using the Internet and my online payment options.... I'll guess this means that I have to go to a retail location, get a physical card, and then enter the numbers manually. (?).

Posted via CB10
    You can also buy one online and they will mail it. But you might as well just go there

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 03:52 PM
    You just saved me from having a rather frustrating episode.. Going to grab a coffee on the way home and between the size of the Z30 and the relatively small size of the PIN pad it would be an utter gong show.
    Thanks!
    Kaaaahnnnnnnnnn spoke too soon. Hopefully it'll work tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 04:14 PM
    Complete POS blackberry embarrassment in Tim Hortons. NFC set up properly and enabled. Gift card topped up. Try NFC with a line behind me and in typical BlackBerry fashion it goes wrong. I use NFC on a daily basis and I am familiar with the BlackBerry smartphone device. Back in the wallet the gift card goes. Wants to protect my funds when I'm trying to spend them. Here's what happened upon tap
    Attachment 228998
    Mine did same in Qu�bec. I know how to use NFC etc, had app open and clicked pay, did nothing...My MasterCatd pay pass worked without fail.

Maybe not all stores have it working yet...

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 04:25 PM
    Tim Hortons TimmyMe app updated! IT IS SWEET!-img_00000050.pngok I got a Tim card. I bought something with the Tim card. I sat down and entered the numbers. It showed up immediately. So, it's fast.

Next trip to Tim Horton is when I'll use the phone. The lady at the cash register knew where I would place my z30 phone; she said yes we know about it and here is where you'll out your phone next time.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:04 PM
    Tried it at another location this time. The lady also didn't seem to think twice about it. Others have likely used it as well or she already knew about it. I said Tim Card and showed her my my phone and she selected the right payment option for me to tap my phone on the pay terminal.
    12-12-13 10:37 PM
    I just used it in East York. I just said I was paying with my Tim's card. The guy practically flipped out when he watched me "WHAAA?? How did you do that? He just paid with his phone" LOL. I was surprised by his reaction, it was pretty funny.

When I removed my phone it did say "connection error" but then showed the debit and all was good. Not sure why.
    12-12-13 11:04 PM
    When I paid yesterday, the older lady serving me knew exactly what was going on. The guy next me at the register getting his order....not so much LOL

The look on the guys face was priceless

I almost felt like holding up the phone, and just saying "BlackBerry "

Only thing I would like is if it emailed receipt

CB10'n it via da Z
    dusdal and bungaboy like this.
    12-13-13 06:29 AM
234 ... 34567 ...