The Score used to be one of the most popular highly rated apps on all BlackBerry platforms. What a remarkable fall from grace.
    The fall started with the PlayBook version and only got worse with the BB10 version. Sad because as you mentioned it used to be one of the most popular apps on BBOS Legacy devices. I've been using it since my 9700 for sure and possibly since my 9000 right up to my 9800, 9860 and 9900. I got really disappointed with it once it hit the PlayBook
    06-05-14 08:10 AM
    For sports news in general, have you tried the TSN app? Its native and should be in App World although I can't see anything that states its not available in the US. Also, since you mentioned the CBC Hockey Night app, have you tried the NHL GameCenter app? That's what I use for hockey scores.
    Yes, apparently according to the BlackBerry App World website, once changed to show the US apps, TSN Mobile and NHL GameCenter are both available in the US.
    06-05-14 08:11 AM
    I had received a reply from my email to them. They said they were no longer supporting Blackberry 10 with a native app and that the new upgrade would be an Android port. Unfortunately there isnt push notifications with this version of the app. I was running the Android version of the app thru Snap. Although there was a prompt for alerts, the alerts were not able to be pushed thru as Blackberry doesnt totally support android apps. The BB runtime just permits us to download them without the support features and use them. Blackberry would have to totally support android apps in order for the features to work on BB10 devices. By the way, that is not the red star icon in the upper right hand corner. That is an icon that says 2014.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-14 08:37 AM
    Hi all,

James from theScore here. Thanks for all the comments regarding the recent switch. We appreciate all the honest and forthright comments.

This update was designed to ensure Blackberry users are able to receive a great mobile sports experience that�s comparable to theScore on other devices, providing access to improved news, additional leagues and better all round performance and functionality. A full list of the new features, leagues and sports can be found here: https://thescore.uservoice.com/knowl...-blackberry-10

Unfortunately - as several of you have pointed out - technical restrictions relating to porting our Android app to the BB10 operating system means we are unable to effectively deliver Push Alerts as a result of this latest update. We apologize for any inconvenience. However, you can still follow all the latest scores, stats and news on the leagues, teams and players you care about in real-time through the Feed feature in My Score.

In terms of sticking with a native BB10 app, we have to make decisions around prioritizing the workload of our in-house development teams and currently their focus is primarily on our iOS and Android platforms. However, every effort is still made to ensure Blackberry users continue to receive a great mobile sports experience, which was the main reason behind us making theScore experience on Android available on BB10.

Finally - just to clarify - theScore is not owned by Rogers Sportsnet. They purchased the TV business in 2012, but the digital company (theScore, Inc.) remains independently run.

Thanks again for all the feedback. And if you want to reach out to our team directly with questions or any additional feedback you can do so anytime via thescoreapp(at)thescore(dot)com.

Thanks,
    James
    Thanks for stepping in and making yourself known James.

Surely, you can make the android push alerts work with the android port (i believe via android headless support). Examples of this method working include Skype and Fongo... it's a very minor code modification when packaging the bar file I believe. Have you guys explored this?
    ForzaStevo and Fatz_z like this.
    06-05-14 08:38 AM
    I liked the Score app and I think it sucks that they are no longer going to support the Blackberry native version because they want to focus their resources on IOS and Android. Being from the USA on T-Mobile, the only native sports app left in the Blackberry World is CBS sports, I can't get sportsnet or CBC Hockey Night In Canada because it is for Canadian folks only, which I don't understand because I was able to get both those apps on IOS and Android here in the USA, but not on my Blackberry? WTF!!!

Stuff like this is the exact reason why it's hard to get folks to cross over, especially when both those apps are available in the Android and IOS app stores by anyone, not just the folks north of us?
    I'll try to sniff out these bar files for these apps for you tonight. Sucks that those apps aren't available down south.
    06-05-14 08:41 AM
    For sports news in general, have you tried the TSN app? Its native and should be in App World although I can't see anything that states its not available in the US. Also, since you mentioned the CBC Hockey Night app, have you tried the NHL GameCenter app? That's what I use for hockey scores.
    Thanks for the tip, I just downloaded the TSN app and it looks pretty good, it covers all the sports I like so that will work.

I have the NHL app already, but ticks me off I can't get the hockey night in Canada app being I am from the USA, oh well.

Sent from my lovely Q10 on T Mobile USA
    06-05-14 09:01 AM
    You're welcome and hopefully Sally Mack can find the bars for you. If its any consolation, I have the CBC Hockey Night app and rarely use it. That's why I recommended the NHL GameCenter app instead lol
    06-05-14 09:32 AM
    Hi all,

James from theScore here. Thanks for all the comments regarding the recent switch. We appreciate all the honest and forthright comments.

This update was designed to ensure Blackberry users are able to receive a great mobile sports experience that�s comparable to theScore on other devices, providing access to improved news, additional leagues and better all round performance and functionality. A full list of the new features, leagues and sports can be found here: https://thescore.uservoice.com/knowl...-blackberry-10

Unfortunately - as several of you have pointed out - technical restrictions relating to porting our Android app to the BB10 operating system means we are unable to effectively deliver Push Alerts as a result of this latest update. We apologize for any inconvenience. However, you can still follow all the latest scores, stats and news on the leagues, teams and players you care about in real-time through the Feed feature in My Score.

In terms of sticking with a native BB10 app, we have to make decisions around prioritizing the workload of our in-house development teams and currently their focus is primarily on our iOS and Android platforms. However, every effort is still made to ensure Blackberry users continue to receive a great mobile sports experience, which was the main reason behind us making theScore experience on Android available on BB10.

Finally - just to clarify - theScore is not owned by Rogers Sportsnet. They purchased the TV business in 2012, but the digital company (theScore, Inc.) remains independently run.

Thanks again for all the feedback. And if you want to reach out to our team directly with questions or any additional feedback you can do so anytime via thescoreapp(at)thescore(dot)com.

Thanks,
    James
    I think you need to visit this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=893927

Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442:296"the iPhone Nemesis"
    06-05-14 09:33 AM
    Thanks for stepping in and making yourself known James.

Surely, you can make the android push alerts work with the android port (i believe via android headless support). Examples of this method working include Skype and Fongo... it's a very minor code modification when packaging the bar file I believe. Have you guys explored this?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=893927

Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442:296"the iPhone Nemesis"
    06-05-14 09:34 AM
    Hi Sally,

That's something we have looked into. Our BB rep has told us that, at the moment, if alerts were used they would only function if the the app was open. Otherwise, all alerts are queued and are then 'spat out' (for want of a better expression) all at once when the user opens it, which is fair from an ideal experience.

We're still talking with BB to get further clarification on this point.
    06-05-14 09:49 AM
    Hi Sally,

That's something we have looked into. Our BB rep has told us that, at the moment, if alerts were used they would only function if the the app was open. Otherwise, all alerts are queued and are then 'spat out' (for want of a better expression) all at once when the user opens it, which is fair from an ideal experience.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out and explain the situation in the forums.

Unfortunately the reason I used theScore app was for the push notifications. Seeing as how they won't be available I believe the best (overall) sports app is the TSN one and will now be relying on it greatly. With the loss of push notification theScore app experience is very similar to Sportsnet (apparently sportsnet now has push notifs). I hope you can refine the app and get a better working version on BB10 in which I would gladly leave a better review and support theScore.
    Last edited by Borough; 06-05-14 at 10:51 PM.
    06-05-14 10:06 AM
    I appreciate the fact that they at least put in the effort to bring their Android app to BB World. Most companies don't bother doing that. The original app did not perform very well and the box score details always seemed to be missing information and the app in general was buggy. Having the Android app now means it will be up-to-date and have all the features (minus the alerts, but I didn't really use them anyway). In a perfect world, a Cascades app would have been in place and been smooth and worked perfect, but I completely understand how a free app for a small market wouldn't justify the support and development costs for an entirely separate version.

I updated yesterday from an alert notifying me about it (kind of ironic). The old version will cease to work after some point, FYI. Performance was a little slow initially, but now it's way faster than the original app. Hopefully something will be worked out on the lack of alerts, for those that want them. I recall earlier versions of the Android runtime had alerts, so it would seem BB could figure out a way to get them back without having an unmanageable mess of alerts you can't turn off.
    06-05-14 10:09 AM
    The Sportsnet app DOES have push notifications. Maybe it didn't at one point, but it does now. No reason to ever use The Score again.
    Borough likes this.
    06-05-14 10:21 AM
    The Sportsnet app DOES have push notifications. Maybe it didn't at one point, but it does now. No reason to ever use The Score again.
    Agree, Sportsnet notifications work.
    06-05-14 10:53 AM
    Good bye Score and your Android app, you don't have time for BB users so hello TSN and Sportsnet.
    06-05-14 11:24 AM
    Hi Sally,

I'd be satisfied with this as a hold over. I much rather the news and information layout of the android port. Much more smooth and surprisingly quick.

Regardless, one of the key selling points to the Score app is the notifications; I'd keep the app open when I know that there's games of interest on the go. Try that, and then investigate with the BlackBerry folks?

Posted via CB10
    theScoreApp likes this.
    06-05-14 11:26 AM
    I liked the Score app and I think it sucks that they are no longer going to support the Blackberry native version because they want to focus their resources on IOS and Android.
    BlackBerry decided to focus their resources on enterprise and their latest phone is only available in Indonesia. BlackBerry itself decided to shift their focus away from the non-enterprise consumer who follows North American sports. Why blame TheScore for making the same business decision?
    Witmen and FrankIAm like this.
    06-05-14 11:46 AM
    Thanks for the tip, I just downloaded the TSN app and it looks pretty good, it covers all the sports I like so that will work.

I have the NHL app already, but ticks me off I can't get the hockey night in Canada app being I am from the USA, oh well.

Sent from my lovely Q10 on T Mobile USA
    I posted the hnic bar in another thread. I think you may have been in on that one as well.
    06-05-14 11:59 AM
    Hi Sally,

You should suggest my point to the rep and share his/her feedback on this. I'd be very interested to hear it.

If the app were running headless, in theory the notifications should flow in real time.

Gykesdollars posted a link to what I was referring to.
    06-05-14 12:03 PM
    Many thanks, Sally. I've forwarded the link to our dev team in case this is something they can work with.

We'll keep you posted should there be any further developments.
    dusdal, KemKev and Fatz_z like this.
    06-05-14 12:08 PM
    Many thanks, Sally. I've forwarded the link to our dev team in case this is something they can work with.

We'll keep you posted should there be any further developments.
    Why not modify the android app to run in the background, like the Skype app. The Skype app is an Android app but has been modified to allow for notifications.
    06-05-14 12:35 PM
    The Score app is no longer native but a android port instead!

Enjoy...

Attachment 276001
    Attachment 276003