This is not a question on security, we all know that pptp vpn is not secure, outdated, etc and not the topic of this post.
    My company uses pptp vpn to connect to the workplace and have no intent on changing to any other platform that BlackBerry uses. Are there any plans on BlackBerry being able to use pptp vpn at any time?
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 08:59 PM
    Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 12:49 PM
    Very doubtful, BlackBerry tends to stay away from security mechanisms that have been proven to be unreliable in protecting users data. If they had support for it before it was deemed to not be as secure as originally thought, perhaps they'd continue offering it, otherwise I'm pretty sure they won't be adding it back in. One thing that always bugged me when I used PPTP was that it rarely just 'worked' when on someone's corporate network, many corporate firewalls block outgoing PPTP connections. That was years ago though, perhaps it's changed a bit since then.

I set my Q10 up using the Cisco VPN connection and it's worked flawlessly, hopefully another VPN technology is something your company will look at a bit more in depth in the future.

One option I haven't looked at but may work, is an Android PPTP VPN client of some type. Might be worth looking into...
    01-11-14 02:17 PM
    I would pester your company to either put in a Cisco or similar gateway (drop-in for them) or configure up a box with IPSEC/IKEv2 (best option in terms of security.)

The latter is not difficult and once done, is done. The performance is massively superior to PPTP as well, which standing alone ought to be enough reason to do it, never mind that it's actually secure.

PPTP is not only insecure -- the performance over it sucks as well.
    01-11-14 02:58 PM
    I've tried to convince them to go another route/open up a work around, with no success. Will look for Android apps, hope to find some.
    Thanks for the input!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 06:00 PM
    Let me know if you find one. With over 700 employees nationwide, my company also still uses pptp vpn (why I ended up getting an iPad mini for when I travel and need to connect to the office and my PlayBook is collecting dust). Unfortunately, even though many execs use BB, there are no plans to change the current vpn system (I know, I've been pestering them for years to do so).

Posted from my Q10/Z10
    01-11-14 06:34 PM
    I have been looking for a VPN to sideload, no luck. All the apps out there seem to use the vpn of the Android phone itself.
    Would hate to have to change from BlackBerry to another phone for something like this!

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 06:57 AM
    I have been looking for a VPN to sideload, no luck. All the apps out there seem to use the vpn of the Android phone itself.
    Would hate to have to change from BlackBerry to another phone for something like this!

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to change your Blackberry as it has an outstanding built-in IPSEC VPN connection tool that many VPN providers support it.
    It can set up in less than 5 minutes on BB10 .
    I could provide the instruction if you are interested.
    01-28-14 09:02 AM