This thread is not intended to deny the so called "app gap", nor minimise the sad downfall of our beloved BB10 OS. It is rather just my view on how sometimes the "need" for certain apps MAY not be absolute... So, after much thought I have decided to order a Priv, which should hopefully arrive next week. Yes, one of the reasons was the availability of certain apps only on Android/IOS; but mainly, it was my desire to try out BlackBerry's take on Android, keep supporting the company and all around, cause I really like the slider design (I still have a Torch 9800 as backup phone).

Back to the main point, I have been rocking my awesome Passport for one year and four months. It's the BB10 device which I have kept using the most as main driver (since October 2013: Q5 - 3 months, Q10 - 4 Months and Z30 - 9 months). I solved the so called "app gap" by sideloading (10.2 days) and later with Snap (10.2.1 and onwards), until Cobalt made available the modified Google Play Store, which had been installed on my Passport since last year and until a few days ago. In all honesty, I opted for not using the whole GP Services and patching workaround, as I preferred to use apps which worked straight from downloading.

Although I had been considering the Priv for a while, I was reluctant (and I'm still a bit) of leaving BB10. Anyway, I have already decided that my Passport will still be in use, as a secondary/backup/phablet device. Documents, for instance, seem to be viewed better on the wide square screen; so I will use it in meetings where having my laptop is a bit uncomfortable or even avoid using the Priv in taking notes/reading pdfs to save battery. In this sense, three days ago I decided to unistall Cobalt's GP apps as well as the apps obtained through GP Store. In their place, I would just run native BB10 apps and Android ports from BBW, and/or Android apps from Amazon; I call this combination the "official app solution on BB10". I wanted to try a bit of what non-advanced users experience; those who had no idea there was an "app gap", bought BlackBerry cause they like the brand or just didn't need/care about apps.

I will now list the apps/workarounds used on my current "experiment" (on the left side, the apps from GPS and on the right, the substitutes):

HSBC Mvil - HSBC Mxico Webpage
    Google Maps - BlackBerry Maps (alternative: Waze from Amazon or Google Maps viewed on the Web browser)
    Googe Drive - PlayCloud 10 (full version)
    Mega - Mega (older version from BBW)
    Facebook - Facebook for BB10 and Web-app (also tried the Face10 and Messenger Pro combo, as well as Face5)
    YouTube - SuperTube (full version)
    Uber - Ober (alternative: Web-app through m.uber.com)
    Televisa Deportes - N/A (Website might do the job)
    Skype - Skype (older version from Amazon)
    Shazam - Soundhound from BBW (alternative: Shazam from Amazon)
    Netflix - Cheated: old APK dowloaded through Snap (last version to adapt well to square screens)
    Cabify - Always used the Wap page, as I could never run the app from GPS.

I actually saw a bigger lack in options regarding games, where the experience may vary. So far, however, I haven't really needed any of the "missing" apps (mostly games). Let's see how it turns out during the weekend.

Likewise, let's be honest, if you need apps only available for Android/IOS, such as Snapchat (even having Casper or older apks) or to broadcast on Periscope (you can view with the Web browser or Scope10), the Priv is the only way to go if you want to stick with BlackBerry.

Anyway, I'd like to know the thoughts of other Crackberrians? Do you think you could "survive" with the "official app solution"?

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 04-09-16 at 07:59 AM.
    Lusitano17 and elfabio80 like this.
    04-08-16 09:33 PM
    Yes I can. When I buy a phone one of my main concern is the apps the phone comes with. The ones baked in. Blackberry got most of those. Office apps , calendar, mail client, web browser, note taking app, password keeper app. This are the most important. Of course I use other apps but is push comes to shove I can live without in a blink. The physical keyboard and the screen of my passport are more important than some apps, in my opinion.
    JG_Agustin and idhbar like this.
    04-09-16 02:17 AM
    Yes I can. When I buy a phone one of my main concern is the apps the phone comes with. The ones baked in. Blackberry got most of those. Office apps , calendar, mail client, web browser, note taking app, password keeper app. This are the most important. Of course I use other apps but is push comes to shove I can live without in a blink. The physical keyboard and the screen of my passport are more important than some apps, in my opinion.
    Indeed, I have tried other OSes and IMHO BlackBerry 10 handles email like no other. Also, the pkb is the best for writing long texts. Some vkb are very good, including BlackBerry's own, but there's nothing like the feeling of pressing real keys, I actually don't regret moving from the Z30 to the Passport. That's why the Priv also appeals to me and justifies the investment, I love pkb. I'm 32, which is considered "young adult", yet I'm old school and to me nothing speaks business like a BlackBerry.

Apps are not the main reason I'm getting the Priv, if perhaps an idealisation that it will "help" the company. I still have to try BlackBerry's take on Android and I'm fully aware it's not BB10, but I'm still curious, mainly due to the design.

BTW, I forgot to mention that some of the apps are available for other BB10 devices, such as certain games for full touch devices or even HSBC Mvil, which unfortunately, is only not available to the Passport, go figure... I've contacted the bank but have not received an appropriate answer; in my mind this is when I confirm it's not all BlackBerry's fault...

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    04-09-16 02:58 AM
    Different things cater to different needs. I guess the best solution is the one that satisfies you the most. There are a lot of people just happy with the Priv. I think android or Ios are the things to use if one is in the apps thing.
    04-09-16 06:34 AM