I do appreciate the fact that BlackBerry hasn't abandoned their legacy users, but every time I see a Twitter for BBOS update I cringe. That app works better than it needs to and handles way more features that the BB10 version. Every time the BBOS version updates, it adds twice as many features as the BB10 updates and I swear, the BBOS version updates more often. At this point, Twitter for BBOS should really only update with bug fixes and the focus should be on the BB10 version's features!

I don't use facebook often, but I hear complaints about the BB10 version enough to believe this also could be true. However, the Facebook mobile site is nearly identical to the BB10 Facebook app. I have a feeling there may be some Facebook limitations going on with that app, preventing BlackBerry to fully fit the look and feel of BB10.

BlackBerry bridge? Well I guess since the PlayBook is dead in the eyes of BlackBerry, there is no reason to ever touch that app again. So sad....

Well, I guess my main problem lies with Twitter, considering most of the other BlackBerry developed apps for BBOS were pretty perfect, but they really need to get the BB10 versions of those apps up to speed (clock, BBM, BlackBerry Travel, Notes/Remember, and better BB Traffic implementation into Maps for BB10 - Traffic info was perfect on BB Traffic and very unreliable and slow to update on Maps for BB10).

Anyways, this isn't a post bashing BlackBerry, on the contrary actually. They nearly perfected many of those apps on BBOS (it was the OS's limitations that held the apps back graphically) so I know they can improve them for BB10, but they need to get a move on it. The BBOS apps don't need more than a small team working on bug fixes, everyone else should be working on mirroring those app's BBOS features to the BB10 versions. The OS will (and should) take time to implement features. I understand that affecting system wide code has to be done carefully and tested extensively. However, as a casual programmer, I know that when it comes to individual apps, adding features can be completed quicker and much more easily. For example, taking the multiple login feature from Twitter for BBOS and converting that to Twitter for BB10 should not be taking this long (unless it has something to do with having it in the Hub as well).

Right now the major deciding factor for many people when choosing a smartphone is the apps. For some its the number of apps in the app store (BB won't ever win that battle), others care about the top 100 apps (BB has a shot to level the playing field here, but it needs to get ALL of the big name apps), and others look at the apps that come preinstalled (A major selling point for BBOS and very well can be for BB10 as well). Realistically, people look at all three of these factors, but many prioritize the order of those three differently.

tldr....
    Last edited by gregorylkelly; 06-28-13 at 11:32 AM.
    06-28-13 11:22 AM
    BBOS is supported by a completely different team then BB10, so updating one really doesn't interfere with the other.

On a day when many are upset about a seemingly abandoned playbook, I doubt the idea of willingly stopping to actively support another product people have and continue to pay money for will go over well..

Personally, continued support for legacy products was always something I really liked about Blackberry.
    06-28-13 11:26 AM
    Plus, people complain that they are being betrayed by BlackBerry because BlackBerry won't update the playbook, if they stop supporting BBOS then they lose more credibility.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 11:27 AM
    BBOS is supported by a completely different team then BB10, so updating one really doesn't interfere with the other.

On a day when many are upset about a seemingly abandoned playbook, I doubt the idea of willingly stopping to actively support another product people have and continue to pay money for will go over well..

Personally, continued support for legacy products was always something I really liked about Blackberry.
    I'm not talking about abandoning support for BBOS or BBOS apps. I am saying that there is no way Twitter for BBOS should be updated more frequently and have more features added on a regular basis than the brutally stripped down BB10 version. BBOS in its currently form is not going to improve much. They should not abandon it, but I think they need to divert even more resources to BB10's core app development.

Also, I understand that they are different teams specializing in completely different programming languages, but most programmers understand that while the syntax may be very different, the underlying ideas are very similar across the board. The fact that I see Twitter for BBOS get updated with new features (and Facebook too), while Twitter for BlackBerry 10 is as barebones as they come, is just not the way it should be for a company relying on BB10 for its future survival.

All I'm saying is keep up the bug fixes and resource optimizations for BBOS, but cut back on using resources for other BBOS related things. I am in no way trying to say that BBOS should be abandoned. The fact of the matter is that BB7 is a very solid OS that doesn't have much room for improvement beyond bug fixes and resource optimizations.
    06-28-13 11:40 AM
    Hello?!? Seriously, are you hearing BlackBerry??? 60% of the phones sold were these so called "Legacy" devices!! In my honest opinion the "legacy" devices shouldn't be the majority of your sales!!!
    06-28-13 11:42 AM
    Hello?!? Seriously, are you hearing BlackBerry??? 60% of the phones sold were these so called "Legacy" devices!! In my honest opinion the "legacy" devices shouldn't be the majority of your sales!!!
    And they are, partially because of little annoyances like I mentioned. The core apps that people were used to for so long on BBOS just aren't even close to up to par on BB10 (Talking about features, as the look and feel of the apps are far superior on BB10).
    06-28-13 12:03 PM
    ...Traffic info was perfect on BB Traffic and very unreliable and slow to update on Maps for BB10).
    BB Traffic on BB10 and I would have kept the Q10.
    Moved to an Android and I'm miserable. I miss you BB; get your act together and we'll talk.
    07-03-13 10:49 AM
    I agree.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-03-13 02:32 PM
    I agree, especially with regard to getting blackberry traffic running on bb10. The failure to do so might actually be a dealbreaker for me at this point.
    07-22-13 02:05 PM
    That's one big wall of text regarding a topic that has already been discussed at length from every possible angle.

Apps are important.... we get it.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 03:20 PM