I'm excited to see a native 3rd party snapchat client!
    I use the sideloaded snapchat already, and while it works fine and gets the job done, it does lag.

Looking forward to this! Will definitely use the app.
    ddddafadf likes this.
    10-01-13 11:56 PM
    Will yours be built in Cascades and have upload? I agree with one of the posters here. Don't tell any of the BlackBerry executives and just submit it to BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    Haha don't worry I'm submitting it no matter what. And yeah it will be cascades and yeah it will support uploading.

Join the Surge Co. BBM Channel! C001213C9
    10-02-13 12:49 AM
    This is indeed exciting news.

When browsing through your GitHub repository as well as dstelljes and tlack's repositories I notice the word API is mentioned from time to time.
    Now correct me if i'm mistaken but SnapChat doesn't offer an API (per se). They use the Google infrastructure (App engine) but do they allow access to their backend?

Tlack reverse engineered the SnapChat app => dstelljes create a new PHP library based on that although he used a different approach => ddddafadf is in the process of porting the dstelljes library to python and create a native BlackBerry app using the Blackberry-py project/.

Am I correct?

I have no doubt that your native client will be a hit and I do encourage you to add it to the BlackBerry Appworld. I am however weary about the fact that there is now some commotion about third party native apps without the consent of the original creator so hopefully BlackBerry will allow this. Alec Saunders basically said they will as long as the original creators don't complain beforehand and afterwards.

I started to dig a little deeper in SnapChat, Vine and Instagram and while Vine and Instagram now belong to two behemoths of the social internet, SnapChat is still just a project by 4 Stanford students.
    This in my eyes opens opportunities. I don't think they'd oppose a native SnapChat client as I'm sure they'd want their app on as many platforms as possible (also noticed they have a job opening for a software developer...). What I am a tiny bit concerned about, is the monetization factor of this all. They aren't making money. If they ever want to start or will start with monetizing their app BlackBerry users are scr*wed.

Therefor, I propose that somewherer down the line, you contact the developers ([email protected]) and reach an 'un'official agreement so the app can exist. I am addressing this to ddddafadf specifically cause your code is accessible on GitHub for everyone to view and review, so the SnapChat team can be confident.

Just my thoughts
    uzmarvel, ital1 and araskin like this.
    10-02-13 02:51 AM
    I think sharing these resources is good. Allows less effort on part of the original developers. An agreement must be made (even if we have to pay for their efforts I guess? )

Z10 | Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1725 | Globe PH
    10-02-13 03:19 AM
    Microsoft actually took down the snapchat client swapchat, so no they aren't better than BB.

Posted via CB10
    uzmarvel likes this.
    10-02-13 03:20 AM
    I think sharing these resources is good. Allows less effort on part of the original developers. An agreement must be made (even if we have to pay for their efforts I guess? )
    Z10 | Z10STL100-2/10.2.0.1725 | Globe PH
    I don't think payments are in order here. It would be an incentive for the SnapChat developers to review the code and maybe suggest or make a native client themselves.

If Whine, IGrann and SnapMate are popular and do well I'm sure they'll eventually be drowned out by native official apps... Especially the Vine and Instagram apps as they are owned by big businesses and they'll try to keep it all in house at some point.

Microsoft actually took down the snapchat client swapchat, so no they aren't better than BB.
    Posted via CB10
    It's not about being better, they just followed their TOS.
    10-02-13 03:30 AM
    This is indeed exciting news.

When browsing through your GitHub repository as well as dstelljes and tlack's repositories I notice the word API is mentioned from time to time.
    Now correct me if i'm mistaken but SnapChat doesn't offer an API (per se). They use the Google infrastructure (App engine) but do they allow access to their backend?

Tlack reverse engineered the SnapChat app => dstelljes create a new PHP library based on that although he used a different approach => ddddafadf is in the process of porting the dstelljes library to python and create a native BlackBerry app using the Blackberry-py project/.

Am I correct?

I have no doubt that your native client will be a hit and I do encourage you to add it to the BlackBerry Appworld. I am however weary about the fact that there is now some commotion about third party native apps without the consent of the original creator so hopefully BlackBerry will allow this. Alec Saunders basically said they will as long as the original creators don't complain beforehand and afterwards.

I started to dig a little deeper in SnapChat, Vine and Instagram and while Vine and Instagram now belong to two behemoths of the social internet, SnapChat is still just a project by 4 Stanford students.
    This in my eyes opens opportunities. I don't think they'd oppose a native SnapChat client as I'm sure they'd want their app on as many platforms as possible (also noticed they have a job opening for a software developer...). What I am a tiny bit concerned about, is the monetization factor of this all. They aren't making money. If they ever want to start or will start with monetizing their app BlackBerry users are scr*wed.

Therefor, I propose that somewherer down the line, you contact the developers ([email protected]) and reach an 'un'official agreement so the app can exist. I am addressing this to ddddafadf specifically cause your code is accessible on GitHub for everyone to view and review, so the SnapChat team can be confident.

Just my thoughts
    You are 100% correct with all the API stuff. I will contact snapchat when this is farther along. If my app encourages them to make a real one, I'll be happy.

anon(1464249) likes this.
    10-02-13 09:01 AM
    Shouldn't BlackBerry just acquire SnapChat and integrate it into BBM?

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    10-02-13 09:04 AM
    If BlackBerry could even afford them.

10-02-13 09:22 AM
    I guess we all use Sideload route then =)). I hope the app is finished. But do you think he can get around the rules?
    the sideloaded snapchat app works flawlessly there is no point getting a 3rd party sideload app. I would only get an app thats in app world
    10-02-13 09:23 AM
    Can't wait! I'm tired of my camera taking pictures at awkward angles on snapchat. Everyone i snapchat always asks, wtf can't you just take a normal picture.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 09:25 AM
    Could be great with the headless apps feature in 10.2.
    10-02-13 11:42 AM
    Both developers should contact snap chat and try to get their approval. Maybe send them the app so they can review it and change what they don't like. So they can make it to BBW.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 02:27 PM
    I will do that once it is far enough along. Also, BlackBerry would deny headless to this I guarantee it.

10-02-13 03:06 PM
    If BlackBerry could even afford them.

You mean afford a company that makes little to no profit? Yeah, 2.6 billion dollars can afford that.

10-02-13 06:53 PM
    You mean afford a company that makes little to no profit? Yeah, 2.6 billion dollars can afford that.

Where there's info stored, there's money to be made.
    10-02-13 06:56 PM
    Shouldn't BlackBerry just acquire SnapChat and integrate it into BBM?

Hahaha what

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 07:06 PM
    Lol, OP should just carry on with development and submit the app. This is the same people that allowed Flipboard through after someone clearly used the online converter, TOS my ***.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 10:46 PM
    Exactly. They will let it through as long as Snapchat doesn't make a fuss before release.

10-02-13 11:24 PM
    Ok keep at it guys! As it seems now, only the indie devs can save this platform.... jk but you will be helping BlackBerry 10 a lot. Now to get some fresh minds over at the marketing department and we can slowly gain ground again.
    10-02-13 11:59 PM
    Exactly. They will let it through as long as Snapchat doesn't make a fuss before release.

Dev, are you going to post the bar file for Snappy beta here in the forums?

Posted via CB10
    ddddafadf likes this.
    10-03-13 12:51 AM
    Dev, are you going to post the bar file for Snappy beta here in the forums?

Posted via CB10
    It will be up on my github hopefully by Saturday. I'm kind of swamped with homework ATM but I'm trying to get it done with some late night coding haha. Just started yesterday actually. So yeah, get the bar from either my github or here. I won't post the bar here until it is in better shape though. Bleeding edge beta will be freely available at https://github.com/krruzic/snappy

PS: if anyone knows Python or QML, feel free to contribute.

EDIT: tomorrow I will do a writeup of features and things that need to get done.

10-03-13 12:54 AM
    That's exactly my thought!
    If they keep acting like this they're basically willing for their own fail.
    WHY?

Posted via CB10
    Alec Saunders, you can go to hell with Thorsten Heins! You obviously did not do your job properly that we have to have third party developers develop apps for us in a short time too! What's that BS about how easy to port or develop for BB10 platform if it takes so long for big name devs to develop apps for BB10? Long life 3rd party devs, we support you guys!
    10-03-13 05:07 AM
    Lol, OP should just carry on with development and submit the app. This is the same people that allowed Flipboard through after someone clearly used the online converter, TOS my ***.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with you Bilaal. Instead of discouraging the app dev, Alec Saunders should actually use that opportunity to push the big name apps and devs to develop their apps for BB10. If he is discouraging other dev to develop third party app, then he'd better have a definite time when the real app will be released for BB10. By allowing quality third party apps to flourish that can only be good since that will put pressure on those stubborn devs to bring their apps to BB10, sending the message: look, if you dont want to develop for us, someone else will, dont waste our time waiting for no definite result. That's how Saunders should do his job IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    AndreyLepher likes this.
    10-03-13 06:54 AM

Well they are worth $800+ million which is a 1/3 of what BlackBerry makes. That wouldn't be a smart purchase haha

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jjcolao/...ion-valuation/

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:04 AM
223 1234 ...