Lol, when will companies stop collecting user information when they are too dumb to properly protect it.

Not a snap chat user myself though so kind of funny

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-01-14 03:33 PM
    Yep. I'm in the leak. But it is just a user name, right?

Posted via CB10
    Assume anything you shared with snap chat servers as compromised. Including photos including deleted ones as snap chat holds those for legal reasons.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-01-14 03:35 PM
    Yep. I'm in the leak. But it is just a user name, right? What is the big deal? And my personal name and phone number is all over the place. I've given it to every company I've ever signed up with. So what is the value to this information to nefarious folks?

Also I don't use the app. I just downloaded it to see how it worked. Kids use it a lot though. So it is popular with the youths.

Posted via CB10
    Once someone has your personal name and phone number makes you more vulnerable to identity theft. I was a victim. Not saying that it is guaranteed to happen, but makes it much easier. I should say it makes it easier to obtain other information about someone. Some worry more then others. Me amongst them as I said I was a victim. So the less, the better in my case
    00stryder and KermEd like this.
    01-01-14 03:46 PM
    That really sucks. I'm kinda upset Snapchat hasn't directly addressed their users though (not a user personally, but this isn't something to ignore). Whether anyone uses the info for anything malicious or not, that's a pretty big "uh-oh" that wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in the service or its security measures.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 09:58 PM
    That really sucks. I'm kinda upset Snapchat hasn't directly addressed their users though (not a user personally, but this isn't something to ignore). Whether anyone uses the info for anything malicious or not, that's a pretty big "uh-oh" that wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in the service or its security measures.

Posted via CB10
    they did respond (like a week ago), but not specifically to the 4.6 million exposed users. they responded to the possiblity of a reported security hole that they were implementing "additional counter-measures", but whomever leaked the info obviously didn't feel like waiting it out.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2428787,00.asp
    00stryder likes this.
    01-01-14 11:47 PM
    Just phone numbers... not cc numbers and ss numbers... who cares

Kah
    01-02-14 12:21 AM
    Just phone numbers... not cc numbers and ss numbers... who cares

Kah
    Well, I personally don't like telemarketer calls/unsolicited text messages as it is, dunno what I'd do if my number were shared with even more sources of annoyance.

Note that the general location is shared too, which is basically a goldmine for advertising companies. If the hackers didn't leak the list, I'm sure they'd have gotten a call from Google with a money offer.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 12:28 AM
    Well, I personally don't like telemarketer calls/unsolicited text messages as it is, dunno what I'd do if my number were shared with even more sources of annoyance.

Note that the general location is shared too, which is basically a goldmine for advertising companies. If the hackers didn't leak the list, I'm sure they'd have gotten a call from Google with a money offer.

Posted via CB10
    called call block

Kah
    01-02-14 12:33 AM
    do people still think associating a phone number with an account is still a good idea?
    not good for those planning a riot ....
    01-02-14 12:50 AM
    called call block

Kah
    So basically, to regain the peace and freedom from unsolicited phone calls that users once enjoyed, you propose that it is simply as easy as compromised users taking additional measures to ensure what a company that was trusted with their information should have secured in the first place?

I mean, you're right that call block would stop repeated calls from the same/unknown numbers, but that's not always fool-proof and generally preventive measures are a lot easier and less frustrating to implement than defensive ones. (If you can stop the problem before it happens, then there's no problem to deal with.)

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-02-14 12:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe the hackers got tired of these accounts, otherwise they could have kept quiet about it ....
    01-02-14 12:55 AM
    Maybe the hackers got tired of these accounts, otherwise they could have kept quiet about it ....
    Lol I doubt they have a personal vendetta against more than 4 million accounts... likely they were considered collateral damage in their "punishment" of Snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:01 AM
    The more I learn about Snapchat, the more it seems almost as dicey as WhatsApp.

These developers are using the old Microsoft mentality: features first, security an afterthought.
    rizdragon likes this.
    01-02-14 03:40 AM
    Sadly no one will care. I'm BBM only.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:05 AM
    had it been bb, this news would have been blown up out of proportions till it burst like a baloon... and the app would have been dead instantly... but since it not bb everyone is letting is slide... go on now... walk away... nothing happened...
    R Field likes this.
    01-02-14 05:17 AM
    do people still think associating a phone number with an account is still a good idea? ask the relatives of people who have had family members die, only to see them log in a few months later on whatsapp
    I know right?
    Now how will I know if I'm talking to someone who now has grandma's number, or of its really her ghost this time??
    01-02-14 09:22 AM
    I've got an excel file of the list with phone numbers, User IDs and where they live.

Here it is:

https://mega.co.nz/#!dcUhWabJ!dgiGrQ...BXK3wppZOtKpuo

#BBM
    01-02-14 09:30 AM
    I wasn't either.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 09:35 AM
    Yep. I'm in the leak. But it is just a user name, right? What is the big deal? And my personal name and phone number is all over the place. I've given it to every company I've ever signed up with. So what is the value to this information to nefarious folks?

Also I don't use the app. I just downloaded it to see how it worked. Kids use it a lot though. So it is popular with the youths.

Posted via CB10
    Well did you think that the user name, phone number and city of you kids may be all over the Internet now? Any maniac can have access to it.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-02-14 09:53 AM
    Well did you think that the user name, phone number and city of you kids may be all over the Internet now? Any maniac can have access to it.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Agreed.

If any one feels that this is no big deal, feel free to post your phone number and what city you live in. And your user name for snap chat.
    01-02-14 10:05 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, I think Carlos Danger, for one, would disagree with you.
    01-02-14 10:45 AM
    Well people have different opinions
    Why would you want people to know anything about you?
    In my case, I don't like anyone who doesn't know me to know anything about me. You don't know what people can do with any tiny bit of information they have

For example, people can use your phone number and log to one of those spammy places and ruin your phone number for life. Because no matter how hard you try blocking phone numbers, more will come.
    And a lot of people love doing that.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 11:22 AM
    SnapchatDB!
    Bringing 4.6 million users' information to your fingertips...
    Download the database

SnapchatDB!

2014 Bad year for SnapChat!.

Attachment 235073
    Don't have it! Don't use it! don't want it!
    01-02-14 11:37 AM
    Shop at Target, chat on SnapChat, buy an Android device.

Our job is done here.
    MADBRADNYC, Drenis, DJM626 and 1 others like this.
    01-02-14 12:03 PM
    01-02-14 12:39 PM
71 123