06-14-14 08:39 PM
66 123
tools
    Like many things in IT. what is convenient is also insecure.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    That's why I said "I know it presents a security problem".

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-03-14 05:10 PM
    no, it's called feedback. hence why we have a star & review system in BB World.
    I don't want to call out the OP too much since he better understands the situation now, but his post was:

Why do we have to sideload something when sideloading is the thing we're trying to get away from in the first place...?! Host the Snap download on a cheap GoDaddy domain (in fact I will pay for it) and then make it an easy download and install using File Manager. No desktop, Chrome, weird add-on, or fuss required.
    This wasn't intended to be feedback. It was complaining about the process for installing Snap. Followed by saying what the developer should have done. At no point was it approached like "I love this app but was wondering if there's an easier way to install it." The "rant" here has nothing to do with Snap, yet Snap was the app called out like the developer is intentionally making it difficult for the average user.

As is the case most of the time, there's a reason things are the way they are. If you don't agree, ask why it's that way. But don't tell someone who's providing an app/service for free that he's doing it wrong or should be doing it better.

And by the way, my intent was to stick up for the developer, nothing more. He's done something great for us and doesn't deserve any negativity associated with his app, even if it's unintentional.
    03-03-14 05:41 PM
    I agree its takes 30sec to get snap on but...I do wish it was easier so I can recommend the bb10 to iPhone drones who hate their iphones. it will just make it ezier for them to jump ship because lets face it...iPhone users are pretty dumb and they can't do anything except home button massssh.
    03-03-14 10:15 PM
    I don't want to call out the OP too much since he better understands the situation now, but his post was:

This wasn't intended to be feedback. It was complaining about the process for installing Snap. Followed by saying what the developer should have done. At no point was it approached like "I love this app but was wondering if there's an easier way to install it." The "rant" here has nothing to do with Snap, yet Snap was the app called out like the developer is intentionally making it difficult for the average user.

As is the case most of the time, there's a reason things are the way they are. If you don't agree, ask why it's that way. But don't tell someone who's providing an app/service for free that he's doing it wrong or should be doing it better.

And by the way, my intent was to stick up for the developer, nothing more. He's done something great for us and doesn't deserve any negativity associated with his app, even if it's unintentional.
    In retrospect, any harshness in the thread original post was directed at those that would feverishly defend something even if there was an easier way; it was not directed at the developer at all.

I'm frankly sick of people suggesting that sideloading is a typical process that everyone should partake in. If you want to sideload, fine. But there should always be alternatives. And there are. I know that now.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141 TMO US
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-03-14 11:27 PM
    I agree, I wish you could direct download snap, it would make explaining the process to my non-techy friends a 100 times easier. Sideloading is not always as easy as people say, even myself, who I would consider very techy, with programming skills, has had trouble with getting it to work in the past.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 12:27 AM
    I don't know what to tell you guys - its an intentional design by RIM.

Myself personally, I haven't sideloaded since I installed Sideswype. I used sideswype to install snap and update snap. Plus 1mobile etc.

Just #saying but if you are truly lazy about side loading - add sideswype and never worry about it again. Sideswype is made to let you install bars in your device with minimum hassle. 1 minute to sideload. 2 minutes to configure. I've installed probably 50 bars with it so far and 1 press install going forward is sweet.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-04-14 11:04 AM

hmm can't seem to find the bit where he says what the dev "should have done". all i saw was him offering money for a domain to be used so that we could access this file (that's when he thought that .bar files could be downloaded directly). It was more directed towards the process, not the dev. oh, and he also said please and thank you. Even afterward apologized for not knowing what was possible or not. Disrespectful... don't think so.
    STV0726 likes this.
    03-04-14 11:25 AM
    Disrespectful... don't think so.
    So says the guy with a hippy guitar playing avatar. Nice try! We know you can't trust musicians.

Posted via CB from my LE
    extisis and Foppa_21 like this.
    03-04-14 01:50 PM
    Not to open up a can of worms or anything, but the dev of Snap's twitter says on Feb 18 that he may have found a way to update Snap from within the app. No other info since. Please don't flood him with requests asking how or when as he is very active here and he will post any information worth posting. I just want to share and inform that there might be hope in the future. I'm sure you will still have to sideload the original install, but consider that an amazing compromise considering everything Snap will do for you

Edit: also looking into downloading the. Obb files that go along with some games/apps. Again no word since. Just sharing info. Respect the developer and he will give us good things

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 09:28 PM
    Ridiculous that BlackBerry won't consider direct install of native apps from anywhere other than bbw for security purposes, but will allow us to install .apk files directly ota when google's security is a friggin joke.

Posted with CB10 via Q10 running 10.2.1.1259
    03-04-14 11:40 PM
    Because all of you that point out BlackBerry's security policies should never install any android apps. Please let the irony hit you in the @ss on your way out the door.

03-04-14 11:42 PM
    I don't know if you realize but android apps are ran inside their own runtime in BB10. Delete that runtime and see how far that apk will go.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    laketrout73 likes this.
    03-04-14 11:46 PM
    Ridiculous that BlackBerry won't consider direct install of native apps from anywhere other than bbw for security purposes, but will allow us to install .apk files directly ota when google's security is a friggin joke.

Like Dave Bourque said, no matter how many security flaws or viruses the android app has it will never be able to infect the BB10 OS
    Hell, it probably won't be able to do much to the runtime either considering that the runtime doesn't have the full OS core, but more of an infrastructure.
    I would seriously consider educating yourself before you talk, because spewing out junk doesn't help your case any
    Foppa_21 likes this.
    03-06-14 10:58 PM
    Bunch of whiners.

Poetry in Motion
    06-14-14 03:12 PM
    Bunch of whiners.

Poetry in Motion
    thanks for spam-raping this almost dead thread and put your non-constructive, silly nonsense in here. Really appreciated.
    06-14-14 05:15 PM
    thanks for spam-raping this almost dead thread and put your non-constructive, silly nonsense in here. Really appreciated.
    More than welcome.

Poetry in Motion
    06-14-14 08:39 PM
66 123