Unfortunately blackberry doesnt have an agreement with google to use their play store so they cant post snap on blackberry world as it would mean they are the ones promoting this. Its a legal problem so currently they have to make people sideload snap which takes about 3 minutes a pc and cable to your phone. If anyone cant figure that out they need to just leave well enough alone and stick to bb10 apps. besides what android apps would you need that dont have a bb10 alternative? After getting the apk availability the most common comment was that many of hte apps you dont need anyway.
    03-02-14 04:33 PM
    This whole thread I started came from a misunderstanding on my part...I apologize for that. I'm sorry. I thought the File Manager allowed apks and native bars to be installed, not just apks.

Yes, that would be completely, 150% ludicrous for me to suggest the developer of Snap rewrite it as an apk. I wasn't trying to imply that that was my suggestion or what I wanted in the slightest. I thought we could just download the bar file and install it manually outside of a standard BlackBerry World-based installation.

So all in all, I'm sorry, forgive me for this misunderstanding. I would in turn suggest to BlackBerry that bar files should be loadable from File Manager just like apks are.

And the other thread I started was supposed to be for the actual call to action but that is a moot point now, so thank you for closing it.

No huffing and puffing from me. My idea was silly--I see that now.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141 TMO US
    03-02-14 05:56 PM
    This whole thread I started came from a misunderstanding on my part...I apologize for that. I'm sorry. I thought the File Manager allowed apks and native bars to be installed, not just apks.

Yes, that would be completely, 150% ludicrous for me to suggest the developer of Snap rewrite it as an apk. I wasn't trying to imply that that was my suggestion or what I wanted in the slightest. I thought we could just download the bar file and install it manually outside of a standard BlackBerry World-based installation.

So all in all, I'm sorry, forgive me for this misunderstanding. I would in turn suggest to BlackBerry that bar files should be loadable from File Manager just like apks are.

And the other thread I started was supposed to be for the actual call to action but that is a moot point now, so thank you for closing it.

No huffing and puffing from me. My idea was silly--I see that now.

Not silly it was a good idea if BlackBerry let user install Bar files like they do .apk files

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, Mecca EL and thisiscjay like this.
    03-02-14 06:37 PM
    Not silly it was a good idea if BlackBerry let user install Bar files like they do .apk files

Posted via CB10
    It's also a massive security hole... bar files are not sand boxed....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-02-14 06:51 PM
    Can't you install with sachesi without putting phone in development mode? If so, you need a command line version of that to make it one-click install. Done.

Posted via CB10
    ultra07 likes this.
    03-02-14 06:57 PM
    Why do we have to sideload something when sideloading is the thing we're trying to get away from in the first place...?!

Host the Snap download on a cheap GoDaddy domain (in fact I will pay for it) and then make it an easy download and install using File Manager. No desktop, Chrome, weird add-on, or fuss required.

Please and thank you!

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 TMO US
    I've BEEN Saying this... although admittedly I do not know the specifics behind it. I will agree with the convenience factor...
    03-02-14 11:36 PM
    Thanks, OP, for saying "I get it now."

Snap is a free app that provides tremendous value to BlackBerry users. And it's fantastic that it's a native BlackBerry App. Any suggestion that the developer should have done more, or should have done something different, is disrespectful.

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-02-14 11:46 PM
    This is ridiculous. Sideloading snap takes under a minute. Is your fridge too far away from the bedroom also? Do you complain that your favorite restaurant be closer to your house also? It's a great app that WILL NOT be in BlackBerry World and it only takes less than a minute of work on your part.

Posted via CB10
    Whoa whoa whoa, hold it right there. Are you saying I can eat in bed?? Well this changes everything!

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.2141 | Bell | CB10
    03-02-14 11:53 PM
    Actually. Sideswype was the last app I ever sideloaded. Snap was the last app I installed for APKs (installed via sideswype)

After that, all BAR files and all APKs are super simple.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-03-14 12:57 AM
    Any suggestion that the developer should have done more, or should have done something different, is disrespectful.

I would argue that a suggestion isn't disrespectful in itself. I mean, I suggest things of BlackBerry themselves constantly out of respect.

I have tremendous respect for BlackBerry and the Snap developer.

BigBadWulf and Mecca EL like this.
    03-03-14 04:07 AM
    Hey guys

The ability to install Snap directly from a website would be really cool. But even without that possibility installing Snap is just a 1-click action if you use Snap Installer.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=902493

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    03-03-14 05:13 AM
    Can't you install with sachesi without putting phone in development mode? If so, you need a command line version of that to make it one-click install. Done.

Posted via CB10
    Oh...I'm curious about this. I'm unable to put my phone into development mode due to a company IT policy. Enquiring minds want to know. .
    03-03-14 07:32 AM
    download blackmart. its easier and direvt install. no need to sideload. search on google and install it
    03-03-14 07:55 AM
    Oh...I'm curious about this. I'm unable to put my phone into development mode due to a company IT policy. Enquiring minds want to know. .
    If your IT policy restricts dev mode sachesi won't work either. No way around security. It's a BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 08:42 AM
    I really hope too that BlackBerry allows sideload bar files like apks. That is one thing I do like about android is that you can download and install any apk. Of course that presents a security problem but, in itself it is massively convenient especially if the app you like (like Falcon Pro was pulled from the Play Store) is not available on the Play Store.
    03-03-14 09:10 AM
    I really hope too that BlackBerry allows sideload bar files like apks. That is one thing I do like about android is that you can download and install any apk. Of course that presents a security problem but, in itself it is massively convenient especially if the app you like (like Falcon Pro was pulled from the Play Store) is not available on the Play Store.
    Like many things in IT. what is convenient is also insecure.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    bungaboy and KermEd like this.
    03-03-14 09:40 AM
    Why do you stand when you pee and sit/squat when you poo?
    You can also sit when you pee, but that's not convenient. Same thing for Snap. You just can't load bar files like apk, because they were made to be distributed from BBworld. Sharing a bar file was created just for beta testing
    Wow, worst analogy ever. Sitting down when you pee is actually much more convenient. Ever peed when drunk? When super tired? When super sleepy in the middle of the night and you don't want the light waking you up completely? Try it, it's so much more comfortable and you don't have to worry about the wife nagging you for showering the toilet wand. Just make sure seat is down, otherwise: I don't care for Churchill, but I think Larry might have something here.. OMG, I am laughing so hard now, "20 times?" thanks for bringing this up, I am cracking myself up here, I loved this episode when it first aired.. OK Back to Snap now..
    bungaboy and Mecca EL like this.
    03-03-14 12:49 PM
    Why do we have to sideload something when sideloading is the thing we're trying to get away from in the first place...?!

Host the Snap download on a cheap GoDaddy domain (in fact I will pay for it) and then make it an easy download and install using File Manager. No desktop, Chrome, weird add-on, or fuss required.

Please and thank you!

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 TMO US
    theres a program that you can download and Snap automatically downloads onto your phone with "1-click"

No sideloading required

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...taller-902493/

Thought I'd make it in big letters for more people to see :P
    Last edited by khehl; 03-03-14 at 06:51 PM. Reason: size 7 font
    03-03-14 02:02 PM

Any suggestion that the developer should have done more, or should have done something different, is disrespectful.

no, it's called feedback. hence why we have a star & review system in BB World.
    03-03-14 02:29 PM
    no, it's called feedback. hence why we have a star & review system in BB World.
    - Quote used by every armchair CEO

Keep in mind, developers can reject any review they want - so it isn't applicable here.

People are welcome to complain about anything they want. But when they haven't said so much as thanks to someone for the app - it does come across as a little ungrateful. That's just the reality of it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Foppa_21 likes this.
    03-03-14 02:42 PM
    - Quote used by every armchair CEO

Keep in mind, developers can reject any review they want - so it isn't applicable here.

People are welcome to complain about anything they want. But when they haven't said so much as thanks to someone for the app - it does come across as a little ungrateful. That's just the reality of it.

Posted via CB from my LE
    sure, but it doesn't mean we can't give feedback. let's take the OP for example; he obviously really likes Snap, just not the process of installing it on his phone. That's not the dev's fault or even problem- but the OP wasn't sounding ungrateful IMO. Everyone's quick with the quips and insults but remember how we used to be able to install java apps on our old BBRY's by just downloading them off the internet and installing them that way? BB App World wasn't the only way of installing apps like BB World is to BB10 (sans sideloading). He just wants to make it (Snap) easier to obtain. What about the people who know nothing about sideloading or anything techy for that matter or just simply don't want to bother with it? This would be a solution to never worry about sideloading and we keep a BB customer.

But i'm not going to deny the fact that it's possibly the easiest thing to do, to sideload Snap, just to enjoy the Droid side of things.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-03-14 03:03 PM
    It's also a massive security hole... bar files are not sand boxed....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Funny how BB didn't and still doesn't consider it a security hole by allowing direct installation of apps via .jad files in BBOS, right? I mean if it's such a large security hole, why hasn't BB plugged it in BBOS? The only reason we can't directly install .bar files is because BB took the Apple model for control over their ecosystem. If you buy an app from a website, download and install it on your phone, BB doesn't get their 30% cut. It's about money and control, not security. BB could still require that the phone first be put into development mode first or require you to enter a password before installing a native app from a source other than BBW. They could also allow BES administrators to disable this as well, if security warrants it. That would prevent anyone from accidentally downloading an app they didn't want.
    extisis likes this.
    03-03-14 03:54 PM
    if snap is even easier to download and keeps the same functionality that would be awesome
    03-03-14 03:55 PM
    yes Sachesi does not need dev mode, it's like OTA...
    Mecca EL likes this.
    03-03-14 04:17 PM
    Thanks OP for being curious. At least we better enlightened now.
    03-03-14 04:36 PM
66 123